Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Extract - Gumballhead inspired WPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #21
cuinrearview
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

If anyone wants to tackle an exact Gumballhead clone, the hop schedule of this beer is, IMO, spot on without the Simcoe in the dry-hop. Visiting this brewery has been on my "to-do" list long before I tried this recipe. It's definately a "Gumballhead inspired" recipe as the taste of the real thing is close but a little lighter in color, body, and sweetness. But I was never trying to replicate the beer exactly anyway. The simcoe takes it from grapefruit to tangerine in the finish, that's pretty much all on the hop front. If I were trying to clone it I'd drop the caravienne to 1/2 lb. or use 1/4 lb. with another 1/4 lb. of cara-pils. I like my recipe better than the original but, as they say, "I wounldn't kick her out of my bed". If anyone else tries my recipe or takes my advice on an exact clone or even has an inside track to the brewers I'd love to get some feedback.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2009, 11:08 PM   #22
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Got my lb. of leaf amarillo from hopsdirect tonight(man I love their pricing) and the typical heavy lbs. from them should yield enough for six batches of this. Next up will be a freshops order with six ozs. simcoe and some citra to finish out the order. I haven't brewed in nearly three months (schedule) and this will be the first beer I make!

Old 11-17-2009, 05:04 AM   #23
PurdueDerek
Recipes 

Hey, from NW Indiana and I love Gumballhead/ Three Floyds all around. I'm pretty new to brewing but I def. want to give this one a shot.

Up Next: Gumballhead clone, EdWort's Apfelwein
Bottled: Weissbier

Old 12-17-2009, 01:24 AM   #24
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Bottled another batch of this last week and am giving some away for the holidays. It's always a winner. Good luck with your batch Purdue!

Old 04-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #25
sfinger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
If anyone wants to tackle an exact Gumballhead clone, the hop schedule of this beer is, IMO, spot on without the Simcoe in the dry-hop. Visiting this brewery has been on my "to-do" list long before I tried this recipe. It's definately a "Gumballhead inspired" recipe as the taste of the real thing is close but a little lighter in color, body, and sweetness. But I was never trying to replicate the beer exactly anyway. The simcoe takes it from grapefruit to tangerine in the finish, that's pretty much all on the hop front. If I were trying to clone it I'd drop the caravienne to 1/2 lb. or use 1/4 lb. with another 1/4 lb. of cara-pils. I like my recipe better than the original but, as they say, "I wounldn't kick her out of my bed". If anyone else tries my recipe or takes my advice on an exact clone or even has an inside track to the brewers I'd love to get some feedback.
Hey Cuinrearview,

Tried to post this once before but I think I messed up--sorry if you get two of these. Thanks much for the Gumballhead clone recipe, I am going to try it next weekend. I visit Three Floyds once in a while and like Gumballhead, but I am going to do your version with the Simcoe as it sounds great. Couple questions...Have you tweaked anything since your original recipe post? Also, are you happy with the Safale US 05 yeast? I know you have done more than a few batches of this clone with it--has it worked pretty consistently for you?

Thanks again for the recipe and I'll let you know how it comes out!

If you brew it, they will come...

Old 04-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #26
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

When I brew this I do it to the original recipe because I like it being a little sweeter and heavier than the real thing. Really goes well with the dry-hop to give a "candied tangerine" finish. The suggestions for changes were for others looking to nail a clone. I still use US 05 because when the fermentation is kept below ~65 degrees yeast flavors are virtually non-existant. Good luck on your batch whether you decide to tweak it or not and don't forget to follow up.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #27
mixmasterob
Recipes 

Would I be safe using Briess Bavarian Wheat DME?

Edit: Looks like its the only kind of wheat dme they make, so I guess so.

Last edited by mixmasterob; 05-28-2010 at 08:16 PM.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:32 AM   #28
mixmasterob
Recipes 

Thinking about switching up the hops as I don't really care about cloning Gumballhead...I have never had it. I am just looking for a nice hoppy American Wheat that I can enter into my local homebrew club's "lawnmower beer" contest. I have 4 oz each of Amarillo, Citra, Centennial and Summit on the way. I also have 1 oz of Simcoe. I have never used Citra but from what I have read it seems as though it may be nice in this recipe. Any suggestions?

Old 05-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #29
mixmasterob
Recipes 

Also cuinrearview, about how many IBUs were you getting?

Old 06-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #30
sfinger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
Just bottled cuinrearview's recipe yesterday... I followed the above recommendations for an exact Gumballhead clone and, based on a taste of the uncarbonated beer (I don't have a kegging system so am bottle conditioning) it is going to be really, really close. Regardless, the beer tastes really good! The hop aroma is dead on in a side to side comparison. Thanks much for the recipe and I will forward a review and a couple pics when it is ready...

If you brew it, they will come...

Quick Reply