Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Extract - Gumballhead inspired WPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 02:49 AM   #221
JonGrafto
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I just entered my first competition with this beer ( I entered it in the American Wheat 6D category) and scored a 40 !!!!
Woot... The only thing I was disappointed with was the fact that I only placed 3rd.... IN MY CATEGORY!!! Stiff competition...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #222
cuinrearview
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonGrafto View Post
I just entered my first competition with this beer ( I entered it in the American Wheat 6D category) and scored a 40 !!!!
Woot... The only thing I was disappointed with was the fact that I only placed 3rd.... IN MY CATEGORY!!! Stiff competition...
Congratulations! Did you get notes from the judges? If so, what kinds of comments were given?

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 09-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #223
JonGrafto
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview

Congratulations! Did you get notes from the judges? If so, what kinds of comments were given?
I haven't gotten the notes back yet. The awards ceremony is this weekend at the brew festival. I can pick up the score sheets and award then or they mail it out next week. Not sure of I can get to the festival though. Almost 2 hours away and me without a DD.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #224
JonGrafto
Recipes 

Just got my notes back from the competition. Overall I am happy with the feedback and the scores.

Here they are as followed:

1st judge

Aroma 10/12 - Medium-high citrus aroma up front. Grapefruit skin. Moderately-low fruity esters. No diacetyl or DMS

Appearance 3/3 - Rich gold color. Brilliant clarity. Off-white head pours full and lingers as a ring of small bubbles.

Flavor 16/20 - Medium-high citrus up front. Grainy malt follows. Balanced toward the hops with enough malt to balance. Medium-high bitterness. Finishes Dry.

Mouthfeel 4/5 - Medium-high carbonation keeps it lively. Medium-light body. Low alcohol warmth. Slightly creamy but still crisp. Not astringent.

Overall Impression 7/10 - Crisp and balanced. Refreshing beer. A touch more carbonation would help continued drinkability, but nice job overall. (I kegged this beer and just filled straight from my taps without the use of a beer-gun or counterpressure filler. That may have led to a loss in a little carbonation.)

Overall Score 40/50

2nd judge:

Aroma 10/12 - Strong citrus & piney hop aroma. Moderate pale malt aroma. Hop aroma is pleasant but a bit high for this style. No banana/clove.

Appearance 3/3 - Medium gold color with good clarity. Medium white head with fair retention.

Flavor 14/20 - Strong citrusy/piney hop flavor. Med-high hop bitterness. Med-low biscuity flavors as well as wheat character.

Mouthfeel 4/5 - Medium body with a slightly dry finish. Medium carbonation is a bit low for the style. Very slight warming.

Overall Impression 8/10 - Very pleasant beer. Tweak the hop profile down a bit. No off flavors. Good balance with the wheat character.

Overall Score: 39/50

Old 01-30-2013, 04:19 AM   #225
chemdoc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Brewed this up a week before Christmas. Bottled two weeks ago, but couldn't wait. Tried it last night and... Wow! Great beer. Much more than I was expecting. This beer really does a great job of showcasing the hops. I think Amarillo may be my new favorite. Thanks for the recipe. Definitely going to brew again.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:35 AM   #226
BPhad
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Brewed this in early January and put it in Babble Brew Off where it scored a 35 and took silver in American Wheat/Rye. Thanks for the great recipe.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #227
nullifidian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Made this with el dorado instead of amarillo. This is my first time using el dorado hops, so i chose this recipe to really put the hop flavor on display. After 2 weeks in bottles, I tried my first today. Tremendous beer, although a bit green. Obviously, not gumballhead, but just as good.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #228
marvinsjunk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

We made this one 2 weeks ago. It was our first all-grain batch using BIAB. I can't remember if the recipe came from this thread, but the one I used called for 6 lbs white wheat, 5 lbs 2 row, and 1 lb caravienne. My dyslexia kicked in and I actually had 5 lbs of white wheat and 6 lbs of 2 row. Mash started at 153 and dropped to about 150 after 75 min. OG was dead nuts at 1.054. Used S04 dry yeast.

Curiously, took a gravity reading today before dry hopping and FG is 1.006. This attenuated a lot more than I expected. The gravity sample tasted good, but not surprisingly it had a lot of alcohol warmth. I don't have any software to easily calculate what OG and FG should have been with the extra 2 row. Do you guys think the FG was so low because of the extra 2 row, or was it more likely something to do with the mash temp/time?

Really looking forward to drinking this in a few weeks after DH and bottling. Thanks for the recipe and any help.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:20 PM   #229
dominic_mercier
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I've got 9.5 pounds of damn fine smelling grist in my office. Making this Sunday as my first BIAB/all grain venture. Really looking forward to it.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:52 AM   #230
Nargan
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Just made the "updated" extract version of this, today. REALLY looking forward to having a viable summer beer ready soon while I wait for my big IIPA to carbonate. I was shooting for an OG of 1.057 and hit 1.055 which is the closest I've been to hitting my target yet.

Quick Reply