Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Extract - Gumballhead inspired WPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2008, 12:53 AM   #1
cuinrearview
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Extract - Gumballhead inspired WPA

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: S-05
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.010
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: orange-golden
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 9@62
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14@68
Tasting Notes: Excellent american hop flavor and aroma, with a full, smooth wheat body

1lb. Caravienne(now called Belgian Cara-20)
1lb. 2-row
1lb. White Wheat
5lb. Briess Wheat DME
.5oz Amarillo whole (9.8 AA, 60 min.)
.5oz Amarillo whole (9.8 AA, 15 min.)
.5oz Amarillo whole (9.8 AA, 5 min.)
.5oz Amarillo whole (9.8 AA, flameout)
1oz Amarillo whole (9.8 AA, dry-hop)
1oz Simcoe pellet (12.1 AA, dry-hop)

Safale-05 fermented as noted

I mashed the grains in a pot with a gallon of water for an hour at 152 and then dumped through a strainer into the brewpot, followed by another gallon of water as a sparge. I called this an extract recipe because it can be done with household items. A steeper could just steep the caravienne and add a half pound more of DME to the boil.
This was my first experience with the "simarillo" dry-hop combination, and it is a winner. Big grapefruit aroma with the same flavor and a finish of tangerine. This is a very drinkable summer session beer for the lupomaniacs among us, but it will be a staple at my house year-round. I made this with Spartan Spring water and primaried as cool as I can, around 62-64 degrees. When it went to secondary it was pretty much ambient in my house.

I've already drank 1/3 of my first batch with less than two weeks in the bottle. The big hop blast is already fading.

Enjoy!! If anyone has access to Gumballhead I'm up for an exchange to compare. I realize that the real thing uses only amarillo, that is why I'm interested in tasting it.

Grain bill for the AG crowd. All hop additions are the same since this was a full boil originally.

5lbs. Wheat malt
3.5lbs. 2-row
1lb. Caravienne(now called Belgian Cara-20)

Mash at 152

OG 1.051
FG 1.012

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Last edited by cuinrearview; 02-05-2009 at 01:47 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 01:31 AM   #2
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

i've got the sample in the glass now cu. w

aroma: wow the hops reach out of the glass and smack ya inthe nose. citrus from the holy land, tangerine mix with grapefruit is what i'm getting

appearance: a hazy golden yellow reminescent of oberon. nice head on the pour with a fine lacing that is sticking around well.

taste: grapefruit upfront with a limelike back of the tongue bite.

mouthfeel: well carbed gives a nice round feel to this. not sure if i could drink more than a couple though, little too much carb fills ya up

overall: i like this, the only change i can see is to maybe drop the primiung down a 1/4 or 1/2 volume. i'll be converting this to an AG recipe i believe.

ps glad the amarillo went to a good cause

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 12-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Glad you enjoyed it Erik. I didn't account for the batch being a little short to bottles due to all of the leaf hops in the kettle and in secondary when I primed it with the full 5 oz. of priming sugar.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:02 AM   #4
ftlstrings
Recipes 

This does look interesting. Maybe closer to the spring/summer I'll have to get this on tap.

~M~

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Old 05-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
nickwin
Recipes 

Default what to do with grains

Are the grains in this recipe for steeping, or is this a partial mash recipe? I was under the impression that 2-row and white wheat were must mash grains. Would I be missing much if I made this without the White wheat and 2 row?

Old 05-09-2009, 02:53 AM   #6
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

when you steep with 2row it will convert and in essence you are mashing it.

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 05-11-2009, 02:31 AM   #7
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the pickup erik. I feel that the key grain here is the caravienne. It adds a candy-like sweetness to the citrus flavor in the back of your throat. This one will act on the beer whether steeped or mashed. I'm kind of in a "want to do AG" rut and will make a mini-mash with the grains just because it makes me feel like I have a bit more control. You could either steep a lb. of caravienne and add ~.5 lb. wheat DME or mash the three lbs. of grain at 152 for an hour. I've switched to pellet amarillo for the last three batches because I liked this beer so much I bought a pound but will switch back to leaf after that because there's just a little teeny something missing in the finish.

Some may say that this is too sweet to be a summer beer, but the FG doesn't lie. I'm anxiously awaiting someone to brew this. This beer will take summer OVER!.............sorry.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #8
Damonic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Another tasty sounding brew added to my list....

Old 05-12-2009, 10:20 PM   #9
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

This evening on the deck, and a pitch for my favorite local.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #10
nickwin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
Thanks for the pickup erik. I feel that the key grain here is the caravienne. It adds a candy-like sweetness to the citrus flavor in the back of your throat. This one will act on the beer whether steeped or mashed. I'm kind of in a "want to do AG" rut and will make a mini-mash with the grains just because it makes me feel like I have a bit more control. You could either steep a lb. of caravienne and add ~.5 lb. wheat DME or mash the three lbs. of grain at 152 for an hour. I've switched to pellet amarillo for the last three batches because I liked this beer so much I bought a pound but will switch back to leaf after that because there's just a little teeny something missing in the finish.

Some may say that this is too sweet to be a summer beer, but the FG doesn't lie. I'm anxiously awaiting someone to brew this. This beer will take summer OVER!.............sorry.
Thanks for the tips, I cant wait to try this one out.

Quick Reply