Dunkles Weissbier Gremlyn's Sehrdunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gremlyn

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Hefeweizen Ale WLP300
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Hint of banana and a smooth maltiness expected of dark beer, hints of chocolate malt
Note on the name: I called this 'Sehrdunkelweizen' as the first time I made this beer I accidentally doubled the amount of CarafaII, which put the brew at the extreme of the SRM scale for the style. Sehr means 'very' in German, so it translates to very dark wheat beer. Hope you enjoy this as much as I do!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.10 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 22.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 15.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount - Item - Type - % or IBU
0.50 lb - Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) - Adjunct - 4.88 %
6.00 lb - White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) - Grain - 58.54 %
3.25 lb - Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) - Grain - 31.71 %
0.50 lb - Carafa II (412.0 SRM) - Grain - 4.88 %
1.00 oz - Tettanger [4.70 %] (60 min) - Hops - 15.8 IBU
1 Pkg - Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) - Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.25 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time - Name - Description - Step Temp
90 min - Mash In - Add 3.20 gal of water at 167.2 F - 152.0 F

View attachment Dunkelweizen.xml

I've made similar dunkelweizens. I prefer the WLP380 (Hefeweizen IV) for the dark german wheats, but 300 is nice, too. I generally use that for the lighter wheats where I prefer more banana.

Tettnanger is my absolute favorite hop for german wheats.
:mug:

I was going back and forth on the yest for this this and I'm glad I went with the 300. I like the amount of banana I got, it's not over powering, but it is definitely there. And you can never go wrong with Tettnanger :) This is actually originally based off of one of your recipes, so thanks!

The last time i made this, I change half of the CarafaII to choclate malt, giving me 1/4# of each, but I'm going to go back to the full 1/2# of CarafaII. I think it lost a little of it's edge going with the chocolate.

I'm going to rebrew this this weekend and try it as my first decoction! I'm likely to change very little in the recipe otherwise.

Looks quite tasty, I've got the ingredients on the way, and will be brewing it this weekend. Thanks for the recipe.

Back