Dunkles Weissbier Erdinger Dunkelweisen clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopdawg

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast American Wheat 1010
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
5g
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Additional Fermentation
cold crashed 7 days
Tasting Notes
Its like a light tasting, light feel Newcastle brown, with a hint of chocolate
I had bought a fancy boxed two beer and glass pack from Erdinger featuring their WeiBbier and their WeiBbier Dunkel. Both very nice beers so I set out to clone the Dunkel.

Here was my best guess first time around. It turned out very nice. The IBU's are perfect. Body is light, easy drinking, aroma is like coffee. I love the clean finish the 1010 yeast imparted on it. I may just enter this one for judging.
Revised Taste Comparison:
Bought an Erdinger Dunkel to do a side by side comparison. The taste was almost dead on. Colour was right on the money and it was murky like mine, side by each they looked identical. The Erdinger was slightly sweeter, more carbonated and had a velvety mouth feel. Next time I'll add 0.5LBS of Carapils.

4# Pilsner Malt
4# Wheat Malt
8oz Munich
6oz Chocolate Malt

Mashed at 154F for 60mins

2.5oz Goldings 60 mins
0.5oz Mt. Hood 30 mins
0.5oz Mt. Hood 10 mins

Dunkelweisenclone.jpg

Hey this looks great. My brewing is slowly getting out of control but I would love to brew this anyway. What kind of wheat malt did you use?

What did you get for IBUs? Beersmith gives me 56.8 and that seems kind of high for the style.

Thanks

I'm wondering about the number you came up with. 2oz of Golding at near 5%wouldn't give you 56IBU. The beer tasted more like a 25IBU. The Mt Hood late additions would add very little bitterness. Regardless, shoot for a 25IBU number to keep you on style.

i made this yesterday. Used only 1 oz of Hallertau, though

Besides a stuck sparge, it seemed to be ok. Bubbling away right now, with a nice krausen forming

i made this yesterday. Used only 1 oz of Hallertau, though

Besides a stuck sparge, it seemed to be ok. Bubbling away right now, with a nice krausen forming

Good luck to you. Let me know how it turns out. I brewed up a light wheat beer yesterday with orange and lemon zest and Coriander. Can't wait to taste the results.

I brewed this a while back. I did a 40L batch - 20L bottled and 20L kegged. Its very very nice. I subbed the hops for all EKG and used WLP320. Well done on the recipe ! :mug:

so what's the verdict on the hop schedule? I'm hoping to brew this on Saturday and wondered what the consensus was. Cut the EKGs in half? Was the original a lower AA than other people calculated with? :confused:

I've always preferred Erdinger Dunkel for the complete lack of banana - was the fermentation temperature spot on or should it be tweaked to eliminate the phenols?

I've made this twice now. First time was with dark wheat instead of munich+wheat.
Second time I did it like this recipe - munich + wheat.

I had a bit of astringency, but matched the color, body, carbonation and FG (1.012)
It was missing a bit of sweetness and crispness that the original has.
I used pearl 5g/Hallertau 10g/Tettnanger 10g hops (like the original) all as a 60 minute addition.

I did a double infusion for medium body 122/152 deg.

I going to try going back to the pilsner 45%, dark wheat 50%, chocolate 5% to see how it
compares. This is what the original has (or at least the ingredients.)

Yum, I love this beer. What kind of caramel flavors do you get with this recipe? The intense roasted caramel flavor in the original is my favorite part of it.

What do you force carb this recipe at? I'm trying to do a good dunkel to match what you find around Frankfurt, and this sounds about right.

I used hallertauer hersbrucker and tettnang and pearle - the hops of the original.
11/10/5 grams each respectively for a 6 gallon batch.

I used 54% dark wheat, 38% pilsner and 5% choc (with 5% acid malt for ph balance)

This is pretty close to the original.

Just finished brewing. Post boil og was at 1.042. Not too sure if og is a little low?

The smell while boil was excellent. Now sitting quietly at the fermenter. I am waiting anxiously for it to start bubbling.

I sent this beer in to the San Antonio CervesaFest.

My scoresheets listed these comments/boxes checked
o I would pay money for this beer.
o I don't like this style because of the banana and clove, so I really like this beer!

With comments like this, who needs a score ?

Hi all. May I know how long do you leave it in the primary?

Also for 19l keg how much pressure in term of psi do u force carb

Back