Weizenbock Dunkel my weizenbock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shagington

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP320 American Hefeweizen Yeast
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
13 days at 58F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days at 40F
Additional Fermentation
Bottle Aged 2 Months
I made this awesome Dunkelweizen / Weizenbock, it took me a few shots to get it to this!! It tastes awesome! Great spicy, caramel, chocolate flavor. A tad bit dry. The head of foam is an off white color, however the retention lasts a good 45 seconds, but Carapils might fix that in the next batch. Right now I am just wondering does anybody have any suggestions? Am I right in calling it a mish-mash of the two styles because I can only pull from it the fruity banana flavor, which is subtle. Enjoy!:mug:

Dunkel My Weizenbock?
3 Gallons
All Grain
American Hefeweizen WLP320 Yeast
Boiling Time: 90 minutes
Primary Fermentation: 13 days
Secondary Fermentation: 14 days

Original Gravity: 1.065
Fial Gravity: 1.026
IBU: 24
SRM: 27
ABV: 5.4%

----------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

5 lb. Weyermann Light Wheat
1 lb. Weyermann Pilsner Malt
3 lb. Weyermann Dark Munich Malt
1 lb. Weyermann Caramel Wheat
.3 lb. Weyermann Chocolate Wheat
1 lb. Flaked Wheat

.66 oz. Hallertau Hop Pellets (60 minutes)
.66 oz. Hallertau Hop Pellets (30 minutes)
.66 oz Hallertau Hop Pellets (20 minutes)

1 tsp. Gypsum
1 tsp. Irish Moss Flakes (15 minutes)
.25 tsp. Coriander (2 minutes)
.25 tsp. Crush Black Peppercorns (2 minutes)
4 whole Cloves (2 minutes)
2 whole Cinnamon Sticks (2 minutes)
.8 oz. Shredded Licorice Root (10 minutes)
.25 oz. Crystallized Ginger (2 minutes)
.25 oz. Star Anise (2 minutes)
.25 oz. Orange Peels Bitter/Sweet (2 minutes)
1 vile WLP320 American Hefeweizen Yeast
2.5 oz. Bottling Sugar
.6 tsp. Asorbic Acid

---------------------------------------------

Procedure:

In a brew kettle heat 3.5 gallons of water to 180F, pour into the Lauter-tun, add the Weyermann Light Wheat, Weyermann Pilsner Malt, Weyermann Dark Munich Malt, Weyermann Caramel Wheat, Weyermann Chocolate Wheat and Flaked Wheat. Stir for as long as needed, until the temperature stabilizes at 160F. Rest at 160F for 1 hour. While the mash is resting, collect 5 gallons of sparge water. Heat the sparge water to 175F. When the rest is finished, mash-out by raising the temperature to 170F. Add very hot (200F) water to the mash, stirring constantly. Rest at this temperature for 15 minutes. Begin recirculating the mash until it runs clear. Usually, after 15 minutes of recirculation, clarity improves dramatically, runoff is clear and the wort can be drained into the boiling kettle.

Once the sparge water has reached 170° F, transfer it to the sparge water tank. Begin stirring in the 170F water as the original water drains off the grains. Let the mash drain, collect 4 gallons of wort total.

Bring the wort to a boil. Added the Gypsum once the wort comes to a boil. Once boiling add the .66oz. of Hallertau Hops for bittering. At the 30 minute mark of the boil, add the .66 oz. of Hallertau Hops. At the 20 minute mark of the boil add the .66 oz. of Hallertau hops. At the 15 minute mark add the 1 oz. of Irish Moss. At the 10 minute mark add the .25 tsp. of Coriander, .25 tsp. of Crush Black Peppercorns, 2 whole Cloves, 2 whole Cinnamon Sticks (broken into pieces), .8 oz. of Shredded Licorice Root, .25 oz. of Crystallized Ginger, .25 oz. of Star Anise and .25 oz. of Orange Peels. Once the 60 minute boil is complete remove the brew kettle from the heat and stir in a counter clockwise motion for 2 minutes. Allow the wort to sit for 10 minutes.
Chill the wort in an ice bath till it reaches 80F. Add the wort to the carboy. Shake the carboy and pitch the American Hefeweizen Yeast WLP320.
Allow fermentation to begin in a room of 65F. Once primary fermentation begin transfer the carboy to an area of 58F for 10 days. Rack into the secondary fermenter once the SPU reaches 1.028. Cool to 40F and allow to age for 21 days. Bottle once SPU reaches a stable level and allow to bottle condition for 2 months.

Sounds delicious, but I'm getting closer to 1.098 on the OG, this is 11.3lbs of grain for a 3gl batch, yes? You jump between saying it's a 3 gallon batch up top, then use 3.5gal of water for the mash, another 5 for the sparge, and end up w/ 4 of wort? Still fairly new at AG, but you're essentially saying of the 5gl heated for sparge water, you're essentially only recapturing 2ish?

Maybe he meant 0.5 instead of 5?

3.5 + 0.5 = 4

That assumes no loss to evaporation, though.

The ingredient list looks pretty long. The longer the list, the more I start to think the beer might be too complex to recreate accurately. That's just my worry from experience cooking/baking.

Latest posts

Back