Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Partial - Dog Ways Wheat Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
RedGuitar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

Default Partial - Dog Ways Wheat Pale Ale

Recipe Type: Partial Mash
Yeast: Wyeast 1010 American Wheat
Yeast Starter: none
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: none
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.014
IBU: 41
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Tasting Notes: Hops are very present without being overpowering; light body, great for summer

Fermentables:
4 lbs wheat malt
1 lb flaked wheat
1.2 lb Crystal 20
2 3/4 lbs extra light DME

Hops (pelletized):
1 oz Centennial 60 mins
1 oz Cascade 20 mins
1 oz Cascade 1 min

I mashed all of my grains with 2 1/4 gallons water at 150* for an hour, then sparked with 2 1/2 gallons at 175*. Brought to boil, added DME, returned to boil and followed the above hop schedule.

Had to add water afterwards to bring wort back up to 5 gallons (now that we have a bigger house, SWMBO says I can get bigger brew gear ). Pitched yeast and let 'er rip: 14 days in primary, then bottled with corn sugar and started enjoying three weeks later.

I absolutely love this beer, and cannot hardly wait to make another batch. This beer is like potato chips- I can't have just one!

The hop level is pleasantly bitter without being overpowering. The American Wheat yeast does not have the banana-and-clove characteristic of German Wheat yeast, but does have a (very) slight citrusy finish, which I think goes great with the hop profile.

Edit: just caught my own typo; I call this "Dog Days WPA", not "Dog Ways"... Any mods feel free to change it.

"I sit here and drink my good Wittenberg Beer, and the Kingdom of God comes all by itself." -Martin Luther

"Good men drink good beer." -Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by RedGuitar; 07-13-2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Typo correction

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
gjb2107
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Sounds great! I'm thinking of trying it with some Honey Malt to replace the Crystal 20, thoughts?

Old 10-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
RedGuitar
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

I don't see why not. I used the crystal to make it a bit more like a typical pale ale. I'm not sure I would use that much honey malt; maybe divide the crystal 20 between crystal and honey malt.

Or, just make this beer your own with some honey malt. I love honey malt in wheat beers.

"I sit here and drink my good Wittenberg Beer, and the Kingdom of God comes all by itself." -Martin Luther

"Good men drink good beer." -Hunter S. Thompson

Quick Reply