Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Diable Blanche Wit Bier

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
hotbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Default All-Grain - Diable Blanche Wit Bier

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 3944
Yeast Starter: Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 37
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 3.7 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 8
Additional Fermentation: none
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 8
Tasting Notes: Spicy coriander blending with sweet orange peel but more complicated than other wits

ABV: 5.47%

Malts:
6 lbs Belgian 2 Row
4 lbs Flaked Wheat
0.5 lb Flaked Oats

Hops:
1 oz Hallertauer 60 min
1 oz Tettnang 20 min
1 oz Hallertauer 10 min
1 oz Saaz 1 min

Other:
0.5 oz Sweet Orange Peel 10 min
1 oz Coriander, Crushed/Chopped 60 min
0.7 oz Chamomile 30 min

0.5 oz Sweet Orange Peel Secondary for 1 week
0.75 oz Coriander, Crushed Secondary for 1 week
1 Chamomile tea bag Secondary for 1 week

68% mash efficiency due to a new setup and lots of wheat in the mash. Used a couple handfuls of rice hulls in the mash.

Single Temperature Infusion. Mashed at 153 degrees F for one hour. No mash out.
Sparged out with 170 degree F hot liquor (water) until collected just over 6 gallons.

60 min boil after hot break.

Used a box of chamomile tea bags in the boil and 1 bag in the secondary. I would suggest using two boxes since it's almost impossible to overdue chamomile. Just rip off the strings without breaking apart the actual tea bags.

I used Clementine peels for the sweet orange peel. It's sweeter than traditional orange peels and you don't have to remove any white rind since clementines don't have any.

The orange and chamomile is very strong at first but will fade over time. The coriander fades as well but not as quickly. Extremely aromatic at first but that will fade out after a week or two. Great lacing and "drinkability". This one will go fast, especially in the summer.

On Twitter @hotbrew

"Oh, I'm sorry, I'm a lil preocupied with worrying about being killed by the mob because a homeless priest ran off with all of our drugs!"

Last edited by hotbrew; 11-04-2010 at 12:12 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2010, 04:27 AM   #2
StAnthonyB
Recipes 

Looks good!

I was just reading on the Briess website that torrified wheat has a higher yeild in the mash over flaked wheat.

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Ass...ifiedWheat.pdf

It would be interesting to put the claim to the test.

I also wonder how the flavour would be affected versus traditional raw wheats such as uncrushed and/or flaked.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:00 AM   #3
mrgstiffler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed a Wit loosely based on this recipe on the 4th. Just pulled my first glass and I'm very happy with the results. I added half a box of chamomile bags, peel from 5 clementines and just over .5oz coriander at 15 minutes. Hopped with .5oz Cascade FWH, .5oz Cascade 15 minutes. Same ratio of Belgian Pilsen, flaked wheat and flaked oats. 10 days in primary then kegged and carbed for 2 days with shaking.

I definitely plan on brewing it again but will up the coriander to a full oz. Everything is perfectly balanced, but needs to be a tad spicier.

Quick Reply