Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Citrus Weizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #101
SkinPig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Working up an AG version (5 gallons). Haven't put it in BeerSmith yet, but will before I brew.

I looked at the composition of the Wheat DME (Briess) to figure out a good conversion. They state it's 65/35 Wheat/Barley. Using that with a 1.26 multiplier to go from DME to grain, I came up with the numbers below. I also added some Carapils for addtional body / head. Finally, I'm thinking of going with White Wheat as that will likely result in even more of a wife pleaser beer.

(Note: I have some sort of internal defect that forces me to round numbers. Long ago I gave up fighting it. So the #'s that I calc'd were slightly different than those below)

• White Wheat - 5#
  • Pale 2 Row - 2.5#
  • Carapils - .5#
  • Hallertauer 1 oz (60 min)
  • 2 each Lemon & Orange Zest
  • Wyeast 3068

Going with the Wyeast 3068 as I've got a Schneier Weiss on tap and want to use at least a 2nd generation yeast.

One question -- I've seen some folks in the thread go with a longer mash time (90-120 minutes). What's the rationale? The wheat malt? Would you get better results with a longer mash with wheat (similar to what you would get with a decoction mash)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply