Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Blood Orange Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #91
SD-SLIM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paquitin

It taste like a Mimosa. It's an amazing beer. Everyone that tries has to have a second one. Awesome recipe. Certainly will become a regular
Thanks
I'm glad you liked it...I got another PM telling me that they got 2nd place with this beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2013, 04:06 AM   #92
Paquitin
Paquitin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

image-1133687555.jpg

Old 10-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #93
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

So I brewed 20 gallons of my blood orange Hef for my halloween party....I'm stuck in Seattle until the 30th...so no time to keg the beer and have it taste the way it should...so I guess this means I'm having poker night a week later!

Old 11-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #94
maturemutation
Recipes 

@SD-SLIM - I ended up brewing this recipe this past Saturday. The only thing I couldn't manage to find at my LHB was the light brown sugar so I used dark brown sugar. I am guessing this will not make a difference in taste but will end up making the beer look darker then it normally would have turned out. I also suspected that you wanted the brown sugar in the MASH so I mixed it in with the grains.

So locally I can find Torani syrups at a ton of places but naturally not a single one of them carried the flavor I needed for this recipe. So I ended up going with the amazon prime bottle which is about double the cost of the same 750ml size bottles at any local store.

In a few days I will mix up the simply lemonade / blood orange extract and add that with the second pack of yeast. Then in 2 1/2 weeks I will move to a keg or secondary if i haven't drank an existing keg empty yet.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #95
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maturemutation
@SD-SLIM - I ended up brewing this recipe this past Saturday. The only thing I couldn't manage to find at my LHB was the light brown sugar so I used dark brown sugar. I am guessing this will not make a difference in taste but will end up making the beer look darker then it normally would have turned out. I also suspected that you wanted the brown sugar in the MASH so I mixed it in with the grains.

So locally I can find Torani syrups at a ton of places but naturally not a single one of them carried the flavor I needed for this recipe. So I ended up going with the amazon prime bottle which is about double the cost of the same 750ml size bottles at any local store.

In a few days I will mix up the simply lemonade / blood orange extract and add that with the second pack of yeast. Then in 2 1/2 weeks I will move to a keg or secondary if i haven't drank an existing keg empty yet.
Their is only slight variances from light to dark brown sugar, so you will be fine....I add my brown sugar to the boil, so that I get 100% extraction from it, where as if you add it to the mash, a small portion could get caught up in the grain (could, don't have data on several brews done both ways to compare, so it's a theory).... Their is a online store called lollipop that sells syrups for $5 a bottle and if you buy 2 shippings free, so try them next time.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #96
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 215 Times on 147 Posts

Found the lollipop store. Great prices-$4.65 per bottle. But trying to charge $10 fed ex shipping. Was there a coupon code you used for the free shipping?

Old 11-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #97
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrisby
Found the lollipop store. Great prices-$4.65 per bottle. But trying to charge $10 fed ex shipping. Was there a coupon code you used for the free shipping?
there might have been...or there was a minimum for free shipping, I can't remember...but they have some great flavors!

Old 01-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #98
firefly765
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-SLIM View Post
All Grain

6.00lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
4lbs White Wheat Malt
1lb Vienna Malt
1lb Light Brown Sugar
****Mash 158 for 45 minutes****
0.25 Cascade Hops at 60 Minutes
0.25 Sorachi Ace 20 minutes
0.25 Cascade Hops 20 minutes
0.25 Sorachi Ace 7 Minutes
0.50 Orange Zest 5 Minutes
2 yeast...Wyeast 1007 and Wyeast 3333
Wyeast 1007 and starter used to start fermentation
Wyeast 3333 used when you add blood orangeade, no starter
****Start Vigorous Fermentation****
After Vigorous Fermentation subsides (3 days), add Blood Orangeade
****Ferment for a minimum of 3 weeks****

I used to use fresh blood oranges for this recipe and if you would like to, feel free to email me and I will give you the instructions...but cautious, several people screwed it up by getting some of the white skin in the mixture.
Here is the recipe for the blood orangeade:
1 x 1.75 liter of Simply Lemonade mixed with 8 to 9 ounces of Torani Blood Orange Extract, sample to see if you like the flavor before adding....add after 3 to 4 days of vigorous fermentation has ended, also dont forget to add Wyeast 3333 at this time, blow off tube strongly recommended for this recipe...if you do not have a blow off tube, then sanitize a piece of aluminum foil and lightly form an upside down cap on top of your fermentor neck...this will allow more gas to escape and will prevent wild yeast from invading...make sure foil comes down the neck by an inch.

This is the 18th and final version of this recipe for me, I tried to make it fool proof so that everyone can enjoy this one!

Some questions I know some people will ask:
- Extract Version - Yes, give me a couple of weeks to make it and test it before I post...in the interm, you can use the extract base from my Lemon Lime Hefe, just add brown sugar, change hops and use bloodaide.
-Secondary Fermentation - No, I rarely use secondary fermentation, because these yeast will kick some sugar ass and make a great beer, so why remove them!
-Subs - Feel free to sub what you want, I know I had 18 versions of this and finally found this one to be a great beer.
-Dual Yeast - I made several versions of this beer and couldnt find the right yeast, both of these applied at different times did what I was looking for...created a damn good beer!
-Torani Syrup - Google it and you can buy it on line, or at a restaurant/coffee supply place.
- 5 or 6 Gallon Recipe - The base is 5 Gallons + Bloodade
-IBU's/Gravity or Color dont Match - I use Beersmith as a recording tool, sometimes their may be calculation errors, but if you make great beer than the rest is kind of irrelevant to me...unless it prevents me from making beer.
I'm planning on brewing this with 3068 for more of a hef character. i was not going to use the 2nd yeast because it seems like the initial yeast would be so dominant that it would be a waste to add the extra yeast. Any opinion on my plan?

Thanks.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:31 AM   #99
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly765
I'm planning on brewing this with 3068 for more of a hef character. i was not going to use the 2nd yeast because it seems like the initial yeast would be so dominant that it would be a waste to add the extra yeast. Any opinion on my plan? Thanks.
Give it a try and see if it fits your flavor profile.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:42 AM   #100
tg123
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Got my shipment of the Blood Orange syrup so I'll be brewing this up soon too. Quick question about the 3333 that I wasn't sure about in an earlier post.
Did you mean that creating a starter for the 3333 could result in a sulfur taste? The reason I ask is because I wanted to do a starter and split it so I can save some for different batch. Thanks!

Bottles: JAOM, Apfelwein
Kegs: Amarillo Saison
Primary: Nitrogen/oxygen
Secondary: Water spots

Quick Reply