Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Blood Orange Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
SD-SLIM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Blood Orange Hefeweizen

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Mix
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.06
Final Gravity: 1.01
IBU: 12.6
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4.4
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 DAYS
Tasting Notes: Dark sweet citrus explosion!

All Grain

6.00lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
4lbs White Wheat Malt
1lb Vienna Malt
1lb Light Brown Sugar
****Mash 158 for 45 minutes****
0.25 Cascade Hops at 60 Minutes
0.25 Sorachi Ace 20 minutes
0.25 Cascade Hops 20 minutes
0.25 Sorachi Ace 7 Minutes
0.50 Orange Zest 5 Minutes
2 yeast...Wyeast 1007 and Wyeast 3333
Wyeast 1007 and starter used to start fermentation
Wyeast 3333 used when you add blood orangeade, no starter
****Start Vigorous Fermentation****
After Vigorous Fermentation subsides (3 days), add Blood Orangeade
****Ferment for a minimum of 3 weeks****

I used to use fresh blood oranges for this recipe and if you would like to, feel free to email me and I will give you the instructions...but cautious, several people screwed it up by getting some of the white skin in the mixture.
Here is the recipe for the blood orangeade:
1 x 1.75 liter of Simply Lemonade mixed with 8 to 9 ounces of Torani Blood Orange Extract, sample to see if you like the flavor before adding....add after 3 to 4 days of vigorous fermentation has ended, also dont forget to add Wyeast 3333 at this time, blow off tube strongly recommended for this recipe...if you do not have a blow off tube, then sanitize a piece of aluminum foil and lightly form an upside down cap on top of your fermentor neck...this will allow more gas to escape and will prevent wild yeast from invading...make sure foil comes down the neck by an inch.

This is the 18th and final version of this recipe for me, I tried to make it fool proof so that everyone can enjoy this one!

Some questions I know some people will ask:
- Extract Version - Yes, give me a couple of weeks to make it and test it before I post...in the interm, you can use the extract base from my Lemon Lime Hefe, just add brown sugar, change hops and use bloodaide.
-Secondary Fermentation - No, I rarely use secondary fermentation, because these yeast will kick some sugar ass and make a great beer, so why remove them!
-Subs - Feel free to sub what you want, I know I had 18 versions of this and finally found this one to be a great beer.
-Dual Yeast - I made several versions of this beer and couldnt find the right yeast, both of these applied at different times did what I was looking for...created a damn good beer!
-Torani Syrup - Google it and you can buy it on line, or at a restaurant/coffee supply place.
- 5 or 6 Gallon Recipe - The base is 5 Gallons + Bloodade
-IBU's/Gravity or Color dont Match - I use Beersmith as a recording tool, sometimes their may be calculation errors, but if you make great beer than the rest is kind of irrelevant to me...unless it prevents me from making beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 04:53 AM   #2
fordtrophytruck
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Putting this one in the queue. Your recipes have been all stellar.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrophytruck
Putting this one in the queue. Your recipes have been all stellar.
Hope you like it!

Old 03-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
WhiteSoxRob
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I brewed up an older version of this recipe three weeks ago. It will be interesting to brew this version side-by-side.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
sneeron
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

slim
found your link here from your lemon-lime hefe post. I was looking for a spring beer and found 2. Both sound delicious. I will be brewing both recipes March 24th. I will post my results.
Happy brewing--cheers!!

Cheers Kevin!!!
If bacon is an option,I put bacon on it.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeron
slim
found your link here from your lemon-lime hefe post. I was looking for a spring beer and found 2. Both sound delicious. I will be brewing both recipes March 24th. I will post my results.
Happy brewing--cheers!!
I think you will like both...don't forget to post pictures. I re-posted this one due to requests for it...so I don't have any recent brew pictures, but with the syrup you are able to get a nice blood red beer!

Old 03-13-2013, 01:32 AM   #7
AVLbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I can't wait to try this out! My Lemon Lime Hef is almost done bottle conditioning, only three more days! I'm also going to do a double brew day (or maybe a brew weekend) for my second LLH and the Blood Orange. I did have two quick questions.

1. Can I substitute White Labs yeast for the Wyeast (WLP029 for 1007, and WLP380 for 3333)? I know for the LLH that the WLP380 was key to the recipe. I only ask because my LHBS only carries WL yeast. I'd be more than happy to make the much longer drive to the next LHBS if the yeast is as instrumental in this recipe (or order online).

2. I know for the 3333 you mention not using a starter. Assuming I can sub the WLP380 for the 3333, do you think I could buy one vial, make a starter, split in two, use one for the BOH, and then step up the remaining half for the LLH? Or should I just suck it up and buy two vials? If you don't recommend subing the yeast I guess it's not an issue.

Either way I'm excited to brew this up!

Thanks again for another great recipe!

Old 03-13-2013, 04:25 AM   #8
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVLbrewing
I can't wait to try this out! My Lemon Lime Hef is almost done bottle conditioning, only three more days! I'm also going to do a double brew day (or maybe a brew weekend) for my second LLH and the Blood Orange. I did have two quick questions.

1. Can I substitute White Labs yeast for the Wyeast (WLP029 for 1007, and WLP380 for 3333)? I know for the LLH that the WLP380 was key to the recipe. I only ask because my LHBS only carries WL yeast. I'd be more than happy to make the much longer drive to the next LHBS if the yeast is as instrumental in this recipe (or order online).

2. I know for the 3333 you mention not using a starter. Assuming I can sub the WLP380 for the 3333, do you think I could buy one vial, make a starter, split in two, use one for the BOH, and then step up the remaining half for the LLH? Or should I just suck it up and buy two vials? If you don't recommend subing the yeast I guess it's not an issue.

Either way I'm excited to brew this up!

Thanks again for another great recipe!
1007 is a good sub...however 3333 is a very temperamental yeast that often leaves a sulfur taste to the beer...so I wouldn't recommend that one.!

Old 03-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
BigRedHopHead
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Just marking for reference. I gotta try this one!!

Old 03-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedHopHead
Just marking for reference. I gotta try this one!!
I think you will enjoy it...by moving away from making my own blood orangeade, it makes this a simple recipe to execute.

Quick Reply