Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Partial - Big and Bold Rhubarb Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Partial - Big and Bold Rhubarb Wheat

Recipe Type: Partial Mash
Yeast: Wyeast 3333
Yeast Starter: none
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: none
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.074
Final Gravity: 1.018
IBU: 14
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 Days @ 70
Additional Fermentation: None
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): None
Tasting Notes: First batch, in primary, will edit when finished

8 oz Flaked Wheat
1.5 lbs Wheat malt
1.5 lbs European Pilsner malt
4 lbs Wheat DME
1 lb Golden Light DME
1 lb Amber DME
1 oz Hallertau pellet @45 min
2 tsp Yeast Nutrient @15 min
1 tsp Irish Moss @10 min
2 drops of olive oil at flameout
Wyeast 3333 German Wheat
1 lb fresh rhubarb, chopped and sanitized (see notes) in primary
Estimated ABV: 7.5%

The idea for this brew came out of a barstool session at Renegade Brewing here in Denver. The idea was to create a "tart" wheat, perhaps even something that would resemble a sour beer which is the rage these days, yet with the yeasty clove and banana esters typical of the style. The addition of amber malt extract gives it a copper color and bit of a sweet malt backbone to balance the tart.

Either steep the grains for 30 min or do a partial mash @154 for an hour (this is what I did) in 3 gallons of good water. As you bring it to a boil, add the DME and dissolve (this limits the possibility of boil over). Single hop addition; I used a yeast nutrient and have begun to experiment with olive oil to aid in yeast growth and added two drops at flameout. Cool to 70 degrees, aerate and pitch the yeast. A blowoff tube is suggested. I showed very active fermentation within six hours of pitching.

The rhubarb was chopped and then microwaved to the boiling point to kill any possible nasties. It was placed in a muslin sack and dropped into the primary (bucket in this case). I used Wyeast 3333 because of its high flocculation and alcohol tolerance (up to 10%). I am shooting for a copper krystal weizen with the wonderful rhubarb tartness.

I just brewed this yesterday and will post updates including tasting notes in a few weeks.

rhubarb.jpg  

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Bottled 12-5 and the sample was absolutely fantastic! Full review with pictures once conditioned

Fermenting:

Old 12-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
powerfreak
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Update request! Sounds awesome!

Old 12-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

posted this pic on the "post a picture of your pint" thread. It is coming along nicely, carbonation is still very superficial and disperses quickly. It needs another week in the bottle, should be right by Christmas day.

Color a pleasing copper, but needs more time to clear, as the expectation was that of a Krystal vs. Hefe. The nose is nice banana, clove, sweet rhubarb (like rhubarb pie), and a bit of bubblegum esters. Mouthfeel needs time, as the carbonation is still low and it feels flat on the tongue. The taste up front is that of a sweet Bavarian hefe (I am thinking a Franziskaner) full of banana/fruit with some added amber malty flavor. There is not as much bread/yeast flavor as I expected. The rhubarb flavor is sweet at first and really comes through at the finish with a nice tart note.

I really hope this one carbs up to the expected level for the style, where one can drink it down and it continues to produce a creamy head all the way to the bottom of the glass.

Right now, if I had to adjust the recipe, I would back off of the amber malt and add more rhubarb, as I was hoping for more tart and less sweet. This could be a bit of a premature assessment, however, as the beer does need more time to condition.

I will be putting this in front of a few friends this weekend and will share their thoughts.

rhub1.jpg  

Fermenting:

Old 12-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
powerfreak
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the update. It sounds VERY interesting and has me thinking about making one. Unfortunately, it looks like I don't have access to rhubarb here in AZ. At least not this time of year.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:05 AM   #6
TravisF
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I'm a Rhubarb pie fanatic. It never dawned on me to do a rhubarb beer! Thanks so much for the recipe! I'm adding this to my todo list for summer when our rhubarb is ripe.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:42 AM   #7
raef
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

how did this finish?

Old 01-17-2012, 02:46 AM   #8
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Nice looking beer. I made a rhubarb berliner weiss a while back with a couple pounds of cooked down stalks, but didn't get a great deal of flavor.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 01-17-2012, 02:51 AM   #9
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 780 Times on 520 Posts
Likes Given: 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisF
I'm a Rhubarb pie fanatic. It never dawned on me to do a rhubarb beer! Thanks so much for the recipe! I'm adding this to my todo list for summer when our rhubarb is ripe.
Check out yoopers rhubarb wine recipe. I will certainly be making another batch. This recipe is now thoroughly subscribed though.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Update, thanks for the props! Down to four bombers and four 12oz bottles of this. I am torn between entering two of the smaller ones into a local competition (at Dry Dock brewing), or reserve them and enter the national AHA competition next month. I think it is that good, but then I am a fan of the crystal weizen style, and the bigger malt background that I thought was a bit too much seems to be more in balance with the rhubarb fruit now that it has conditioned for six weeks. Not sure if this picture does it justice, but it is completely clear copper red with really nice champagne-like bubbles that continue to produce a creamy head down to the last sip.

Edit: Though I have nothing to compare it to, some threads discussing the addition of olive oil and negative effect on head retention are not holding true in this case. Since I did not split the batch, I have no idea if the olive oil helped in yeast production or had an impact on flavor, but head creation and retention were very true to style.

rhubarb2.jpg  

Fermenting:

Quick Reply