Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 12:15 AM   #961
Hovik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

@ Jordan:
Can't comment on the hops question but I did a :90 boil and it turned out alright...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 01:28 AM   #962
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 349 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanfrenzy View Post
Quick question... for some reason I ordered 2 oz of Hallertau instead of 1 oz. I don't have any way to vacuum seal and I'm not sure I'll be brewing anything that calls for Hallertau soon enough to keep them fresh. Anyone have opinions on how dry hopping with the extra 1 oz will turn out? I looked at bumping up the 45 and 15 min additions with it but I'm afraid I'll bitter way out of style.

Also, this may have been answered already in the thread but are you doing a 90 or 60 min boil? I'm guessing 90 since there is pilsner malt involved.
To be honest, I dont really see what the big deal is. You bought 2 ounces, when they probably cost about $1-2 at most for an ounce. Its not that much to "waste". increase each addition a little bit, to keep it within style. Bag and freeze the other part, if you have some left, and maybe use it, maybe not. If not, you're only out a dollar or two. I did a 90 minute boil.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #963
razorbuck
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had something happen recently involving this recipe that I found unusual. Me and some buds planned on brewing this over christmas break. When I got my yeast 3068 out of the fridge to make the starter it was clearly tainted. Not having the time to wait for some more 3068 to arrive and make a starter. I decided to use the same grains for a different recipe using other yeast I had on hand. I used 3944 and basically did a belgian white ale with this grain bill. I used .75 oz of both orange peel and coriander in the last 5 minutes and did the same mash process i use for a hoegarden clone. During fermentation it smelled citrusy like it should have. After the bottles had finally carbed I tried one and it really tastes a lot like a hefeweizen. The tart belgian white ale taste is not there like I have had before. You can faintly taste the orange peel and coriander, but you get more of the stereotypical banana/clove thing than the orange/coriander thing.

I have only been doing all grain for a year and a half so here is my big question. Is the grain bill for a certain beer that crucial to the resulting style? Also, I used white wheat instead of red. It is defintely good, but I can't believe how much it still has the hefeweizen characteristics

Old 02-05-2013, 03:24 AM   #964
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbuck View Post
I had something happen recently involving this recipe that I found unusual. Me and some buds planned on brewing this over christmas break. When I got my yeast 3068 out of the fridge to make the starter it was clearly tainted. Not having the time to wait for some more 3068 to arrive and make a starter. I decided to use the same grains for a different recipe using other yeast I had on hand. I used 3944 and basically did a belgian white ale with this grain bill. I used .75 oz of both orange peel and coriander in the last 5 minutes and did the same mash process i use for a hoegarden clone. During fermentation it smelled citrusy like it should have. After the bottles had finally carbed I tried one and it really tastes a lot like a hefeweizen. The tart belgian white ale taste is not there like I have had before. You can faintly taste the orange peel and coriander, but you get more of the stereotypical banana/clove thing than the orange/coriander thing.

I have only been doing all grain for a year and a half so here is my big question. Is the grain bill for a certain beer that crucial to the resulting style? Also, I used white wheat instead of red. It is defintely good, but I can't believe how much it still has the hefeweizen characteristics
I may not be the best to answer this, but as far as I can tell, it is probably in the yeast. Im pretty sure the Hefe yeast is what brings out the clove/ banana flavors. Its the esthers that are produced by the yeast during fermentation. Not too sure why it would be banana heavy. You would think it would be more clove heavy and the orange peel/ coriander would help make it more like a Hoegaarden. Hmm...not sure what happened there.

I finally kegged and carbed mine, and it is super clove heavy. Very little if any banana. Almost too much clove to it. Has a nice haze that a hefe should, good hefe flavor, but a LOT of clove flavor to it. Its good, the wife likes it. And I do too. Tried it with a squeeze of lemon, and its okay, but we both prefer it without. Great recipe, I just need to hone my skills at all grain.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:30 AM   #965
Loodachris
12th man loud and proud!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I finally made my temp controlled fermentation chamber and I will try again this weekend. I am using Wyeast 3068 and will add some Caramunich Malt for a tad bit more color. I plan on fermenting at or around the 65 degree mark so hopefully this works out. Is it the higher the temps the more banana flavor and lower temps more clove or the other way around? I guess if I just get in between I should be fine?

Old 02-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #966
oasisbliss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGiantsFan925 View Post
I may not be the best to answer this, but as far as I can tell, it is probably in the yeast. Im pretty sure the Hefe yeast is what brings out the clove/ banana flavors. Its the esthers that are produced by the yeast during fermentation. Not too sure why it would be banana heavy. You would think it would be more clove heavy and the orange peel/ coriander would help make it more like a Hoegaarden. Hmm...not sure what happened there.

I finally kegged and carbed mine, and it is super clove heavy. Very little if any banana. Almost too much clove to it. Has a nice haze that a hefe should, good hefe flavor, but a LOT of clove flavor to it. Its good, the wife likes it. And I do too. Tried it with a squeeze of lemon, and its okay, but we both prefer it without. Great recipe, I just need to hone my skills at all grain.
SF, what temp did you ferment at ?

Old 02-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #967
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasisbliss View Post
SF, what temp did you ferment at ?
Well, I dont really have a temp controlled area, other than a 2nd bedroom in my house. My starter went crazy, and I was thinking the fermentation was going to be crazy as well. I put it in a room that is constantly around 60 degrees. The fermometer on the side of my carboy was around 62-64 most of the time. I tried to warm it up to get more banana, using a space heater and blanket, and was able to get it up around 68 (on the fermometer), but not sure how long it actually stayed up there. So, I was pretty much expecting heavy clove flavor.

So, I would say most of the time it was 60-64 degrees. It was fermenting during a very cold time here in California, lots of freezing mornings. The beer also didn't really finish that low. About 1.014 I think. Doesnt taste overly sweet though. Motuhfeel and sweetness seem right on. Just heavy clove

Old 02-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #968
Loodachris
12th man loud and proud!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Brewed this last night and pretty much hit all my numbers. It's happily fermenting away at 68 degrees in my freezer fermentation chamber. I opened it up this morning to look at it and the whole freezer smells like banana bread so hopefully it balances out and I don't get too much of that flavor in the beer. I'll bottle this one up instead of kegging and report back once I get a taste of it. I did add 3.0 oz of Caramunich malt to darken it up a little and comparing it too the Paulaner I was drinking it's not even close to the slight orange color of that so I'll have to adjust something at another time. It's all about the taste at this point but I would like to figure out how to get that color the Bavarian Hefeweizen's have.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #969
imgroovin
Recipes 

Kinda new here I tried to search but couldn't find an answer. Followed this recipe and of was 1.050. Pitched yeast...4 days later 1.010. Temp got a bit high (72) in room after day 2. First two days were 60 ish. Do you think I'm ok to keg or should I let it sit? Also I know that's too warm for fermenting this beer but will it still taste good or should I start over?

Old 02-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #970
archer75
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgroovin View Post
Kinda new here I tried to search but couldn't find an answer. Followed this recipe and of was 1.050. Pitched yeast...4 days later 1.010. Temp got a bit high (72) in room after day 2. First two days were 60 ish. Do you think I'm ok to keg or should I let it sit? Also I know that's too warm for fermenting this beer but will it still taste good or should I start over?
why start over when you haven't even tasted it? personally I'd let it sit a couple more weeks. just because you hit your gravity doesn't mean it's done. the yeast need time to chew up any nasty byproducts they've created.

Quick Reply