Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #921
fatboy34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

So it seems like the rotten egg/sulfur questions are coming up a lot lately.

Any experts on here that can chime in on how/if that can be controlled? Is it due to high ferm temps, low temps, changing temps, etc? Is it just always going to occur with this yeast and its just a matter of waiting till it goes away before racking?

My second attempt turned out pretty awesome, and smell went away. I left it in primary longer and used WL300 instead of 3068 but not sure what ultimately makes the difference.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #922
brewinchef_fairfax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

After reading almost the entire thread I had to brew a batch - however, I'm not set up for AG batches yet so I went with the following...

6.6lbs LME (Briess CBW Bavarian Wheat)
Yeast: Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan
Yeast Started 3 hours
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.051 (Temp Adjusted for 60F Hydrometer)
Boiling Time (Minutes): 75
(After adding the malt it took 15 minute to return to boil - at which point I started the clock for 60 - maybe someone tell me if that's not the right way to do it.)
.75 Hallertau @ 50
.25 Hallertau @ 15
WORT chilled to 73F in 33 minutes with water bath.
Transferred to 6.5 gallon (bucket) primary and yeast pitched at 71F as of 3:20 EST today.

I guess I'll have to wait and see. It's my first Hefe. The sulfur issue has me a touch paranoid - as does not having a blow out hose attached. We shall see.

My intention is to primary for 10 days and then go right the the bottle with 5oz priming sugar - then condition for 4 weeks.

Just wanted to say thanks to all on the board who so openly share the knowledge.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #923
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

I haven't brewed this but have been following thread.

I think you're going to want more time before bottling so any sulfur whatever can age out.

Some people have posted that the sulfur does not age out in kegs.

10 days is pretty short regardless.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #924
mgortel
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I had mine in primary for 21 days......no issue with sulphur when I bottled it..........but there was some sulphur smell from the airlock about mid way through fermentation....so I suggest you let it ferment in primary 3 weeks like i did......

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Fat Tire Clone
Primary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:
Biermuncher Centennail Blonde

Old 01-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #925
oasisbliss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok great. Sounds like it is pretty normal......I will let it ferment for 3 weeks

thanks

M

Old 01-08-2013, 12:01 AM   #926
surtur
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

honestly i though i was gonna toss this batch... tasted like sour sulfur farts even when i bottled it... nothing like the first batch i did.. had no hint of even being a beer.
but i popped one open after about a week and man it is better then my first batch. no sulfur and the banana is coming out nice..

Old 01-08-2013, 01:43 AM   #927
brewinchef_fairfax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

My LHBS recommended the 10 days in primary - so I thought I might follow that. There are a few other posts in this thread leaning toward less time in primary... I guess all of this really depends on whether or not there IS a sulfur component to it. After all - it's not guaranteed that it will end up like that - is it?

Old 01-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #928
brewinchef_fairfax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

So it started fermenting at 1:00am this morning and by 10 or 11am was venting a nice banana smell - but very light. Now at 5:30 the whole house smells like a flatulent egg... Oh well. Part of the process I guess.

*** As of the next day all the sulfur smell in the house was gone... Who knows if it will return?

Old 01-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #929
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 364 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Checked mine today after 10 days. Mind you, my house has been around 60 degrees, and I know the beer has been fermenting around ther, and maybe a little higher. I tried using a heater to get it up to around 68 to ferment, but hard to control. I went from 1.056 --> 1.014 in 10 days. I am going to give it probably another 10 days in the fermenter then transfer to keg. A little sulphur smell when opening the carboy, but not much at all in tasting the hydro sample. I hope it drops to about 1.010 or lower. Tasting pretty darn good right now after 10 days. Nice recipe and thanks again!!

Old 01-13-2013, 01:49 AM   #930
mgortel
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

So my latest taste of this after 4 weeks in bottle at room temp and 1 week in fridge is a bit disapointing.......doesnt have the classical hefeweizen taste....actually tastes a bit like dishwater......I hate to say......maybe it is green....maybe I screwed up on brew process....but I thought I did everthing per recipe and hit all marks......

Perhaps I need to let condition in bottle more? Just does not have that hefeweizen flavor you would expect.....

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Fat Tire Clone
Primary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:
Biermuncher Centennail Blonde

Quick Reply