Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #891
mgortel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

So to follow up on this....I brewed this a few weeks ago and plan on botling this Friday (20 days in fermentor).......so what if mine has sulfer smell guys? If I bottle will it settle out in bottle....will it still smell when I pop bottles....anyone that has made this and bottled it....any issues like this??

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Fat Tire Clone
Primary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:
Biermuncher Centennail Blonde

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #892
fatboy34
Recipes 

I posted a couple months ago regarding a rotten egg problem. I kegged after 10 days with the smell. I then purged and let it sit. I tried purging multiple times a day. It did get better with the smell getting less pungent but after 2 months it never went away. I couldn't drink it without noticing it so I ended up dumping it. Still not sure what happened, infection maybe?

Maybe the key is to keep it in the fermernter until the smell goes away? According to hydrometer it seemed done but...

Was very upsetting but going to brew it again this weekend.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #893
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 19

That sucks, not what i wanted to hear lol..im hoping mine diminishes but not sounding like it

The beer is actually damn good, im just hoping the smell doesnt turn people off lol....

Im wondering if its because i underpitched?
On a previous batch i did of this for someone it didnt have the smell, but i did a 1L starter with a stir plate for like 36 hours.

For this batch because it was so rushed i just double pitched two packets of the Wyeast....

*edit* Aha...for my batch that didnt stink i used WLP300...this batch i used Wyeast as in the OP....

Old 12-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #894
fatboy34
Recipes 

Interesting, yeah, sorry. Others did say they had better luck with the smell going away though...for my stinky batch I was rushed and didn't use a starter either. I used Wyeast 3068 for that one but just one pack for 5 gal.

I have a starter going with WL300 for a brew this weekend right now so will see...

Old 12-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #895
MrRoboto
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I just finished my batch of this beer 3 weeks to the day in bottles very tasty but I'm going to try this with some other types of yeast I think this would be better with more of a citrus yeast

Old 12-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #896
dietz31684
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy34 View Post
I posted a couple months ago regarding a rotten egg problem. I kegged after 10 days with the smell. I then purged and let it sit. I tried purging multiple times a day. It did get better with the smell getting less pungent but after 2 months it never went away. I couldn't drink it without noticing it so I ended up dumping it. Still not sure what happened, infection maybe?

Maybe the key is to keep it in the fermernter until the smell goes away? According to hydrometer it seemed done but...

Was very upsetting but going to brew it again this weekend.

This sounds exactly like my experience. Not sure what to do...my yeast, WLP 300, wasn't ultra fresh, but wasn't expired either (5 days before expiration date). I did a 2 step starter with a stir plate and all seemed well. I am afraid to brew it again, maybe try a different yeast or try to get a more fresh vial??

I was thinking possible infection too, but never had one that I'm aware of and my beer is typically great (to me and my friends at least). It's frustrating because it's such an easy recipe...not really sure what could have gone wrong other than bad yeast or an infection.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:40 AM   #897
mgortel
Recipes 

I just got done bottling this!

In the fermenter for 20 days, here is how my numbers went:
OG = 1.052
FG = 1.011

Was a little worried that I was going to have some sulphur smell when I popped the fermenter lid...based on a couple recent threads....but, to my joy when I popped the lid all I smelled was that familiar Hefeweizen Banana and Clove esters..smells fantastic!

I tasted (drank) the gravity sample I took.....flavors were not as prevalent as I expected.....not bad...but more mild....especially considering the smell. Does this beer flavor strengthen with carbonation and a little age in bottle??

Either way I think this is going to be oh so good in a few weeks once done bottle conditioning

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:

Old 12-09-2012, 03:35 AM   #898
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgortel
I just got done bottling this!

In the fermenter for 20 days, here is how my numbers went:
OG = 1.052
FG = 1.011

Was a little worried that I was going to have some sulphur smell when I popped the fermenter lid...based on a couple recent threads....but, to my joy when I popped the lid all I smelled was that familiar Hefeweizen Banana and Clove esters..smells fantastic!

I tasted (drank) the gravity sample I took.....flavors were not as prevalent as I expected.....not bad...but more mild....especially considering the smell. Does this beer flavor strengthen with carbonation and a little age in bottle??

Either way I think this is going to be oh so good in a few weeks once done bottle conditioning
What temp you fermented at? I brewed this recipe first time, pitched on thursday at 60F and kept it at 62-63 F (thermowell). It was 1.016 already today! Cannot wait, taste sample was great, little sulphury on the nose but too early to tell

Old 12-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #899
mgortel
Recipes 

temp got away from me a little...I actually pitched this one at 63F .....it peaked at 70F for half a day....but I got it back to 68F for the rest of the time.

Seems like the sulpher smell has hung around on a few guys batches after 2 weeks....I let mine go almost 3 weeks and it had no sulpher smaell at that time.

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:

Old 12-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #900
oasisbliss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

how big of a starter should I do on this ?

Quick Reply