Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 02:51 AM   #851
MrRoboto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Just brewed this as my first all grain brew. It was a learning experience and some funny things happened. First off I was trying to warm my mash tun about half way through the mash and I guess I heated it too much because I checked it 10 minutes later and the temp was 176 so I threw in some cold water to bring it back down to temp. I did 2 rounds of batch sparging and the first was too cold and I had a hell of a time heating it up using a decoction method. The boil went smooth but I dont think I set the grain bed well enough because I had a ton of trub and grain that caused my carboy to overflow because of the room the trub took up so I siphoned into another carboy after letting the trub settle so I ended up with a little less beer then I wanted to. I learned what to do different next time so that is at least a good thing from all of this..

I scaled the recipe down to 5 gallons and my SG was right at 1.052 just like stated in the original recipe. I hope to enjoy this beer in a little over a month.. Looking forward to it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #852
Hovik
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
I usually get in the 80s as far as inefficiency goes, but the recipe is calculated for 75%. I used modified wheat malt, so a single infusion works fine.

The main thing with this beer is constant fermenting temps. Keep it between 65-68 degrees. It will ferment around 8-10 degrees higher than ambient for the first couple days just from the thermal activity of the yeast working.
I have had this brew in primary for 5 days now, but have been fermenting in the 62-65 range, what might that change in the final product?

Old 11-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #853
ShinyBuddha
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

More clove flavor.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:28 AM   #854
japhillips87
Recipes 

Just bottled this tonight. I ended up with a FG of 1.010 but I came up a gallon short. I will post again when I drink the first one.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #855
Hovik
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by japhillips87 View Post
Just bottled this tonight. I ended up with a FG of 1.010 but I came up a gallon short. I will post again when I drink the first one.
Took a sample with the beer thief yesterday and came up with the same FG as you... in the SG test tube mine looks very light in color though, almost white... this should be better in a wider container but worth noting. how is the color of yours Ja?

Old 11-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #856
japhillips87
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovik View Post
Took a sample with the beer thief yesterday and came up with the same FG as you... in the SG test tube mine looks very light in color though, almost white... this should be better in a wider container but worth noting. how is the color of yours Ja?
Mine was pretty light but not transparent. It was lighter in the test tube but seemed to be the right color in the bottle and in the carboy. I will post a picture of one in a clear bottle when I get home tonight.
Josh

Old 11-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #857
japhillips87
Recipes 

Here is a picture of one bottled.

Josh

Old 11-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #858
JSGT09
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here is what mine came out looking like. I'm sad to say though that I just drained the keg of this great beer on Tuesday
Thankfully I have beer supplies on their way so I can brew up another batch next week!

Primary: Empty :(
Kegged: Ed Wort Hefeweizen, Scottish Shilling 80
Bottled: 1554 Clone

Old 11-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #859
mgortel
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I am going to brew this next weekend.....I have not brewed a batch of beer since last year when I was brewing every other weekend it seems...I know shame on me!

Anyway....I have a few questions on this particular recipe and also on my planned process...as I am a bit rusty AND my compute had crashed and wiped out all of my brew data and methodology I had written down to a science.

1) I have nevr used rice hulls. Recipe says use for stuck mash....how do I know if I will need them based on this? Should I just go ahead and use and if so....what is this about soaking etc....like I said never brewed with rice hulls as an adjunct.

2) I use Beersmith...which Mash Profile Should I use for Hefeweizen? I know recipe says 153F for 90 mins.

I was going to use single infusion medium body batch sparge.....

I guess it doesnt really matter on selection as long as I adjust the mash temp and time to match recipe as given?

3) I USED to ferment in my temperature controlled refrigerator until my lovely wife punched a hole in the coil.....by accident or course...anyway....planning on fermenting this one in my basement ...which is currently at ....let me check.....59F....so thats not going to work for an ale.....crap. I guess I would be ok fermenting in living level which we keep in the 68-70 degree range this time of year.

Any ideas on a yeat that would be ok in the 59-60 degree range?

Thanks everyone....looking forward to getting obsessed with brewing again.

Mike

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Fat Tire Clone
Primary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:
Biermuncher Centennail Blonde

Old 11-11-2012, 03:49 AM   #860
lplex
Recipes 

Brewed this past Saturday. Everything went well, hit my temps and volumes but SG was a bit high (1.053)...no big deal. I planned to bottle next tuesday or wednesday but I just took a gravity reading and it's really high : 1.020. I fermented at around 65F, bubbled like crazy for the 2-3 first days. It had the rotten eggs smell but it faded quickly.

I know it's early and I will take another reading tommorow and the day after to see if it changed. But what do you guys suggests? Raise the temp, re-pitch yeast or bottle it anyways?

Thanks

Quick Reply