Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #841
cublue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So, little problem.
Hope someone can help or advise.

Brewed up 6 gallons of this, adjusted the grain to my efficiency and to 6 from 5.5. Used 4.5 of German pilsner and 7.75 of rahr red wheat. Upped the hop addition to accommodate size and taste.

My original grav came out 1.040, much lower than expected. I think I know the culprit, and will be replacing my thermometer. But the question is this:

I have already pitched yeast. About an hour ago...
Should I add some dissolved dme? Or would it be better (safer) to just leave it be and have a "light hef"...

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 12:30 AM   #842
Voraus
Recipes 

Personally I would just let it ride

Old 10-28-2012, 02:42 AM   #843
cublue
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voraus
Personally I would just let it ride
Thanks for the good advice, even though I didn't take it . I hemmed and hawed for a good hour, and then pitched about 3/4 lb of xtra lite dme dissolved in as little boiling water as possible. I just couldn't stand the thought of a beer that low below 4%. Maybe I made a mistake, but I think it'll be fine.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #844
Fan0Alen
Recipes 

I brewed the NB 5 gal AG version of this Beer, hit all the multistep temps in the mash & fermented at the recommended temps per wyeast 3068. Fermentation went absolutely crazy the first night foam spilled out of the airlock & ended up clogging it, didn't discover this until the next am, so cleaned up the mess, then switched out the airlock. Started bubbling away again for another 5 days, then slowed & stopped. I let it sit for another 4 days the went to keg it up and it smells & tastes very funky ( not the good funky either!) rotting egg kind of funk. I brewed a Dunkelweiss yesterday with the 3068 & that one is currently doing the same thing, I've switched out the airlock 6 times already tonight, & have that frustrated feeling of staying up all night caring for a sick child, I just don't want to lose this one too. If this one goes south too, I'm going to do the next one in a carboy with a blowoff.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #845
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The funkiness is sulfur, a very common byproduct in weizen yeasts. It will age out. Leave it in the Carboy. And warm it up a bit. This will help reduce the rotten egg smell. When it seems gone, you can bottle. If you keg, you can keg at anytime, and after its carbonated, purge the co2. The beer will foam up, but it helps carry the sulfur out. Repressurize, and carbonate again and it will most likely be good.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #846
Fan0Alen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbethenstein
The funkiness is sulfur, a very common byproduct in weizen yeasts. It will age out. Leave it in the Carboy. And warm it up a bit. This will help reduce the rotten egg smell. When it seems gone, you can bottle. If you keg, you can keg at anytime, and after its carbonated, purge the co2. The beer will foam up, but it helps carry the sulfur out. Repressurize, and carbonate again and it will most likely be good.
I hope you're right, I already kegged it, hoping that would cure its ills but I chilled it down when force carbing, I'll purge the Co2 & let it sit for a day or 2 at room temp & see what transpires.
Thanks for the advice, I was preparing a formal funeral for the dumping.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:24 AM   #847
Voraus
Recipes 

Drinking my first glass of this right now and hot damn is it good!

Old 10-31-2012, 04:28 AM   #848
danielmaus
Recipes 

Sub

Old 10-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #849
fatboy34
Recipes 

Default Still a bit of rotten egge

Well, it's been in the keg two weeks; chilled and carbed. The smell is not as pungent, but it's still got a hint of rotten egg and it's still got a bit of that bad taste I think too. Sounds like it's not uncommon with 3068, but these symptoms seem pretty uncommon for this recipe/thread. I'm losing hope. I think I'll give it another week or so before tossing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy34 View Post
This was my first AG batch, I've done dozens of extract brews and several hefe's using extract and the wyeast 3068 but never had one smell like this. It was in the primary for 10 days, last Wednesday I transferred to a keg, then chilled it for a night and then started carbonation. I noticed at the time I transferred it, it smelled horrible but I could detect the wonderful aroma of a good hefe as well so I figured I should stick to the plan and continued w/kegging. A few days ago a pulled a few ounces to get a taste and see how the carbonation level was and it has a very distinctive sulfur rotten egg smell...and taste.
Any advice on what I can do? Should I let it sit cold in the keezer or should I bring it up to room temp and let it condition a few weeks?
Seems like with this recipe and according to the hundreds of posts here this one should be ready to drink pretty quick.

Or since it taste bad, do I toss it out? If there is hope I'll let it sit, but else I'm tempted to toss and move on.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:07 AM   #850
letmeholleratya
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy34
Well, it's been in the keg two weeks; chilled and carbed. The smell is not as pungent, but it's still got a hint of rotten egg and it's still got a bit of that bad taste I think too. Sounds like it's not uncommon with 3068, but these symptoms seem pretty uncommon for this recipe/thread. I'm losing hope. I think I'll give it another week or so before tossing.
What's the harm in just letting it sit? I would rather sit on a keg for a month then dump it immediately.

Quick Reply