Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #831
Outofhand
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Just brewed this. Sitting in a cube waiting for a carboy to free up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #832
ShinyBuddha
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Brewed this on Saturday. The color looked pretty dark coming from the mash tun and stayed dark into the fermenter. Hopefully the yeast will clean it up. Will post a photo when it's done.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #833
fatboy34
Recipes 

Default Rotten Eggs in the keg?!

This was my first AG batch, I've done dozens of extract brews and several hefe's using extract and the wyeast 3068 but never had one smell like this. It was in the primary for 10 days, last Wednesday I transferred to a keg, then chilled it for a night and then started carbonation. I noticed at the time I transferred it, it smelled horrible but I could detect the wonderful aroma of a good hefe as well so I figured I should stick to the plan and continued w/kegging. A few days ago a pulled a few ounces to get a taste and see how the carbonation level was and it has a very distinctive sulfur rotten egg smell...and taste.
Any advice on what I can do? Should I let it sit cold in the keezer or should I bring it up to room temp and let it condition a few weeks?
Seems like with this recipe and according to the hundreds of posts here this one should be ready to drink pretty quick.

Or since it taste bad, do I toss it out? If there is hope I'll let it sit, but else I'm tempted to toss and move on.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #834
JSGT09
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyBuddha View Post
Brewed this on Saturday. The color looked pretty dark coming from the mash tun and stayed dark into the fermenter. Hopefully the yeast will clean it up. Will post a photo when it's done.
Did you snap any pictures before you started fermenting? I don't remember my wort being all that dark, but it did have an off color to it which I mostly attributed to the fact that I didn't use a straining bag for my hops (lost it). It came out a perfect color after 10 days though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy34 View Post
Or since it taste bad, do I toss it out? If there is hope I'll let it sit, but else I'm tempted to toss and move on.
What temperature did you ferment at? A few of the others might be able to chime in, but I would give it a little while to rest in the keg before calling it a bad batch. Mine definitely gave off some funky odors when fermenting...bring tears to your eyes sort of stuff when sticking your head in the fermentation chamber. But it never had any off flavors to it.

PS...I had to use WL300 instead of the Wyeast as my local shop was out of the Wyeast. Supposedly the same strain though.

Primary: Empty :(
Kegged: Ed Wort Hefeweizen, Scottish Shilling 80
Bottled: 1554 Clone

Old 10-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #835
fatboy34
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSGT09 View Post

What temperature did you ferment at? A few of the others might be able to chime in, but I would give it a little while to rest in the keg before calling it a bad batch. Mine definitely gave off some funky odors when fermenting...bring tears to your eyes sort of stuff when sticking your head in the fermentation chamber. But it never had any off flavors to it.

PS...I had to use WL300 instead of the Wyeast as my local shop was out of the Wyeast. Supposedly the same strain though.
I fermented around 66-68 according to my ferment thermometer (taped to bucket). I used the Wyeast 3068 (I think it was the last one at my local shop, which judging by your location is probably the same as your local shop!)

Old 10-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #836
JSGT09
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ha, I didn't even see you were in Omaha! Small world!

You are in the range for the 3068, might have produced a little more banana than clove flavors but nothing that would make it taste funky. You could have an infection if the taste doesn't clear up. I know there is probably a cause behind rotten egg taste (ie. bandaid taste is usually from chlorine) but I couldn't tell you what it is.

PS...all of the yeast I have got from the local Omaha shops haven't been all that fresh so I would make a starter for them if you haven't been. Good practice even with really fresh yeast. I prefer to order all my ingredients online but sometimes if you are in a rush the local shops are the only option.

Primary: Empty :(
Kegged: Ed Wort Hefeweizen, Scottish Shilling 80
Bottled: 1554 Clone

Old 10-23-2012, 02:35 AM   #837
japhillips87
Recipes 

Got it boiling now. Pretty much hit mash temps (153 for first half hour. Stirred and had to add hot water to get back to 151-152). Waiting for the sample to cool to see pre-boil gravity. Overall a pretty smooth first brew.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:35 AM   #838
japhillips87
Recipes 

Brew day is over. Pre-boil gravity 1.042. OG of 1.051. Can't wait to finally taste it. This is my first time brewing and I don't think things could have gone any smoother. Thanks Ed and everyone that has contributed to this thread. It really helped a lot.
Josh

Old 10-25-2012, 05:31 AM   #839
questionasker
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Edit: Just found out the answer to my question. Sorry for the pointless post...

Old 10-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #840
StittsvilleJames
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Drinking my version of this today, pretty decent! I think next time I may underpitch the yeast though, stress those little f**kers into some more esters. Stupid yeasts.

Thanks Mr. Wort.

Quick Reply