Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #811
bmason1623
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSGT09 View Post
Has anyone ever tried a decoction mash for this recipe? I have been reading that many of the German beers are better with a decoction mash, but others say it's not necessary with today's highly modified malts.
I have done one decoction mash (a lager) in my life and didn't think it was worth the effort. $0.02

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #812
mbaker33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Has anyone ever tried a decoction mash for this recipe? I have been reading that many of the German beers are better with a decoction mash, but others say it's not necessary with today's highly modified malts.
I almost always make it with a decoction just because "that's they way they do it in Germany" but I don't think it adds a significant amount of character or anything that I can tell. I made one last week for a party this weekend that I will be kegging tomorrow. I did not decoct this one because it would have taken too long, and I was already looking at being up until 1 am after cleanup. So far, it seems to be fine, but we will see for sure on Saturday.

If I remember, I'll try to let you know how it turns out.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #813
TTodd
Recipes 

How crucial is the crash cooling for this beer? I brewed a 10+ galolon batch and it has finished fermenting. Was planning to keg 5 gallons and bottle the rest tonight. If I skip the crash cooling and just do that tonight - will I be OK? Or should I put it in the fridge and then do the kegging\bottling on Saturday?

Oh - and when I taste tested after grabbing the gravity reading - it was amazing (even uncarbonated and at 68 degrees). I can't wait!

Thanks

Old 08-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #814
KaSaBiS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
I just reciently brewed this and planned a double decoction mash, turned into a tripple decoction when I missed my step from a protien rest. I also used a few lbs of munich for the 10 G batch as well. the beer turned out pretty good but a little thin from too long of a protien rest. this is my 3rd batch and it is noticably richer than the prior, though I dont know if it was from the decoction or from the munich.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #815
KaSaBiS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTodd View Post
How crucial is the crash cooling for this beer? I brewed a 10+ galolon batch and it has finished fermenting.
Thanks
if its a hastle or doesnt meet your schedule, or even if your impatient, I wouldnt bother, my last batch I dropped the temp for a day and kegged. if you did a 10 gallon batch to keg all your yeast will drop out, perhaps a bit too much. the trick is to store the 2nd keg upside down, so when you tap you will mix the yeast back into suspension. Which is the point of this style.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:12 AM   #816
HomebrewDaddy
Recipes 

I brewed this yesterday, brewed a 11gln batch. Starting gravity at 1.048. Fermenting at 62° as I am not a big banana fan, going for clove. The yeast is going crazy (see pic) and my garage smells amazing! I am excited to try this.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:21 AM   #817
HomebrewDaddy
Recipes 

Sorry pic didn't attach on my last post:

forumrunner_20120808_202103.jpg

Old 08-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #818
SirBrewsAlot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed this yesterday & woke up to this. I've had some vigorous fermentations in the past but never any blow offs lol

forumrunner_20120812_125749.jpg

Old 08-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #819
JSGT09
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed a batch of this on Sunday. I missed the mash temp my a degree or two because my soaked rice hulls were cold and I should have taken that into account. I think my efficiency suffered a little bit due to that, ended up with 1.048 but pretty close to the original recipe.

Brewed with WL300 as my LHBS was out of the Wyeast 3068. Decided to go with a blowoff tube this time because I think I got lucky using an airlock the last time I brewed with 3068.

Primary: Empty :(
Kegged: Ed Wort Hefeweizen, Scottish Shilling 80
Bottled: 1554 Clone

Old 08-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #820
FlemingsFinest
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I ordered the ingredients from Northern Brewer yesterday. They had a few german wheat options but I went with their pale german wheat (weyerman's). That oughta be fine right?

Quick Reply