Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #801
suicider
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

evrytime i brew this i brew at 70 or above temps. i want more banana character out of it but they always come out more clovey. anyone ever ferment at 62 as jamil suggests in his book? it smells super banana like when fermenting but when i bottle and chill it's nowhere near as banana like. thinking i might ferment the next batch at 62 and see where that gets me. i always heard higher temps= more banana. seems that way during fermentation butnot so much in the final product, any thoughts

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 01:26 AM   #802
Olive Drab
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I made an extract version

4# breiss dry wheat extract
2# breiss dry pilsen malt extract
6 oz carapils steeped @ 155 for 30 min
1/2 oz hallertau @ 60 min
1/2 oz hallertau @ 15

1liter starter of wyeast 3068

fermented in a 62-64 degree water bath for 14 days

crash cooled and kegged/force carbed @ room temp at 40psi for 20 min 2 days ago

Perfect!

FYI, the pic looks quite a bit lighter than the actual beer.

hefeweizen.jpg  

Old 07-14-2012, 02:23 AM   #803
Lazarous
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicider
evrytime i brew this i brew at 70 or above temps. i want more banana character out of it but they always come out more clovey. anyone ever ferment at 62 as jamil suggests in his book? it smells super banana like when fermenting but when i bottle and chill it's nowhere near as banana like. thinking i might ferment the next batch at 62 and see where that gets me. i always heard higher temps= more banana. seems that way during fermentation butnot so much in the final product, any thoughts
I've made this a couple times fermenting at 62 and had the same experience as you describe...not sure what that means

Old 07-14-2012, 02:48 AM   #804
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarous View Post
I've made this a couple times fermenting at 62 and had the same experience as you describe...not sure what that means
I fermented a batch at 62 last summer. Came out all clove. Not a hint of banana. It wasn't bad with an orange slice floating around in it, but not what I had hoped for.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 07-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #805
GGGsPorter
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I just kegged my second version of this a few days ago. Used 1 liter starter in both versions. (starter gravity 1.041) The 1st version fermented @ 68. It was a little on the banana side of the flavor profile yet still very good. I fermented the second version at 62-63, and it has the perfect balance of banana and clove. Best hefeweizen to date! This will be the temp I ferment at from now on for this beer.

"You just drink because you want to get drunk.... I drink because I NEED it!" -My Old Friend

Old 07-19-2012, 01:15 AM   #806
TTodd
Recipes 

I'm planning on making a double batch using this recipe. This will only be my 2nd all-grain batch.

So if I simply double the grains and hops, When I enter the recipe in Beersmith, should I set the "Batch Size" to 11 gallons (since the original recipe was for 5.5 gallons)? Or should I simply set it to 10?

My biggest question is about the Yeast. I believe that in a previous post from EdWort, (if I'm interpreting correctly), he said that you could use a single pack of the 3068 yeast if you made a starter in 1 liter of wort. Does that sound right? Will that be sufficient for 10 (or 11) gallons?

Thanks!

Old 07-19-2012, 03:41 AM   #807
archer75
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTodd View Post
I'm planning on making a double batch using this recipe. This will only be my 2nd all-grain batch.

So if I simply double the grains and hops, When I enter the recipe in Beersmith, should I set the "Batch Size" to 11 gallons (since the original recipe was for 5.5 gallons)? Or should I simply set it to 10?

My biggest question is about the Yeast. I believe that in a previous post from EdWort, (if I'm interpreting correctly), he said that you could use a single pack of the 3068 yeast if you made a starter in 1 liter of wort. Does that sound right? Will that be sufficient for 10 (or 11) gallons?

Thanks!
If you are going to double the recipe then double the batch size.

As far as starters go, a 1L starter wouldn't suffice even for a 5 gallon batch.
Calculator here: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Old 08-01-2012, 02:46 AM   #808
csimpkins
Recipes 

What a beer! Without a doubt my best homebrew to date.

I pitched two vials of WLP300 (I was feeling lazy) at 75 degrees in hopes of heavy banana esters and let it self adjust to an ambient temp of 70 degrees. It fermented down to 1.004 in 48 hours, at which point I threw 3 cups of pureed watermelon into the fermentor.

I kegged it after 9 days. While racking to the keg, my wife came walking in from the other room and said, "Is that your beer? I really thought you were making banana bread."

Just 11 days after brewing, this beer is amazing. It has an incredible banana aroma and flavor with a wonderful mouthfeel. Some watermelon aroma was present at kegging, but has almost completely disappeared two days later.

With a couple of parties coming up, I expect to kick this keg in record time. I will definitely be brewing this again.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #809
SirBrewsAlot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Def my next brew

Old 08-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #810
JSGT09
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Has anyone ever tried a decoction mash for this recipe? I have been reading that many of the German beers are better with a decoction mash, but others say it's not necessary with today's highly modified malts.

Primary: Empty :(
Kegged: Ed Wort Hefeweizen, Scottish Shilling 80
Bottled: 1554 Clone

Quick Reply