Well I brewed this saturday and got 1.040 instead of the 1.052. My mash temps spiked at the end somehow and then I was in a rush to sparge so that could account for my efficiency. But somehow its now sittiing a an fg of 1.005! I used oxygen so that helped. Im concerned that it may be too dry though. Ill keep yall posted.
So I heated up my strike water too high and then waited too long for it to cool. So I ended up mashing at 151 instead of 153. And beersmith never seems to calculate grain absorption or boil off correctly so I had to make some adjustments. I just had other things I was doing at the same time so I was not paying as much attention as I should.
but I finished and it went into a 6.5 gallon conical I have. With a big cap on it that blew off sometime in the night when the airlock clogged. Very aggressive and messy fermentation. Smelled great though!
The only tube I had to use for a blow off is too small to fit in the airlock hole on the conical.
But now the fermentation has slowed down so it's under control. Can't wait to try it!
Just picked up all my grains and planned on brewing this tonight but ended up in downtown new haven for decent drinks and a free roast beef happy hour...it was too good to pass up, maybe I'll brew this up tomorrow