Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #541
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennis2000000000 View Post
How fast from grain to glass?
it is definitely drinkable at 2 weeks with some oranges (we killed a keg quickly using orange slices in a pitcher on memorial day). I am wondering if by week 4-6 it will be peaking.

That was my experience with it anyway

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #542
bergman1118
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

My personal experience - fermented 10 days, bottled, cracked one open after 1 week and it was definitely drinkable. However, I think it peaked around 3-4 weeks in the bottle. YMMV.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:28 AM   #543
mxwrench
Recipes 

CidahMastah, I have been having the same problem with my all grain Hefe's, there is just something "off" with the flavor. I dont have the problem with any of my other all grain batches or when using Extract for my hefe's but just havent quite hit the nail on the head with this one. I also am fermenting at 66-68 for the duration and using same ingredients, mash schedule etc.. One thing that has got me wondering is that I usually pitch at about 74 degrees, maybe with 3068 this is too high to pitch at even though I drop ferment temp down shortly after.. Any thoughts?

Old 06-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #544
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxwrench View Post
CidahMastah, I have been having the same problem with my all grain Hefe's, there is just something "off" with the flavor. I dont have the problem with any of my other all grain batches or when using Extract for my hefe's but just havent quite hit the nail on the head with this one. I also am fermenting at 66-68 for the duration and using same ingredients, mash schedule etc.. One thing that has got me wondering is that I usually pitch at about 74 degrees, maybe with 3068 this is too high to pitch at even though I drop ferment temp down shortly after.. Any thoughts?
After digging in and reading a lot of stuff on hefe's there is a couple key changes that will happen next time around for me (hopefully this weekend).
1. FERMENT TEMP
2. Yeast pitch size: Will use 20-25g yeast or a 3 liter starter for a 10g batch (previously used 1.5L as per recc. amount from various people)

I am going to do my darndest to ferment at 62-64F with the correct amount of yeast pitched. It seems that everyone who really has had unreal results is using the lower temp with great success.

I plan on making those two changes and redoing the blood orange hefe this weekend (I preferred this recipe over the regular bavarian hefe).

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 06-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #545
Ceedubya
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

My homebrew club held an officially unofficial hefe competition at our last meeting. 12 entries, I took 3rd with this recipe.

Fermented for 11 days, and was in the bottle for 5 weeks.

Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here! - The Dude

I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to
have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and
sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Old 06-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #546
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceedubya View Post
My homebrew club held an officially unofficial hefe competition at our last meeting. 12 entries, I took 3rd with this recipe.

Fermented for 11 days, and was in the bottle for 5 weeks.
You did 68F ferment as noted in the recipe?

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 06-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #547
lemy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default efficiency

So I tried this recipe this past Sunday. I have never done a wheat before, but thought nothing of it, until I mashed...

I ended up with 60% efficiency, which is really really really bad. I ended up putting in a half pound DME and a half pound Dextrose in order to get my OG up to 1.052.

My PH was between 5-6 I typically mash around 75%. I use the grain mill at a local brewery that I have suspected of not crushing as it should. I have seen too many unbroken kernels as compared to the results of other mills I have used.

what are the other things I should be looking at?

Old 06-14-2011, 09:30 PM   #548
bergman1118
Recipes 

This is a discussion for another thread, but here ya go anyway..

Your crush is definitely one, but here are some things that I have messed with and have gone from low 60's in efficiency to a consistent 82-85 %:

- Are you using a false bottom in your MLT? Manifold? S/S braid? I was originally using a 20" stainless steel braid in a 10 gallon gatorade cooler. I had it configured in a loop initially, thinking that this would help lautering for some reason.. After doing a HUGE mash many months ago, I noticed my braid was developing some large holes, so I cut it down to 12" and installed it in a straight line (like in FlyGuy's build). I immediately noticed an increase from low 60's in eff up to mid 70's. So, no matter your setup, my personal opinion is to look at how you are lautering.

- Do mash-outs. The effect that mash-outs have on eff is debatable, but when I started hitting mash-out temperatures (during my sparge, just heat your first batch up to ~195, add, stir, sit 10 mins, sparge), I saw another jump up in eff to around 80%.

- If you're batch sparging, try splitting your sparge into 2 equal batches. This final change saw my efficiency jump into the low to mid 80's.

YMMV. You're setup likely differs a lot from mine, and I think more than anything else time and experience in using it helped bump up my efficiency. And as always, make sure you hit mash temperatures, give it adequate time to convert, do an iodine test, etc. I used the above methods and hit about 83% efficiency with the exact recipe mentioned. My crush is good from my LHBS, which does make a big difference.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:14 PM   #549
lemy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You are right, I should have posted to a different thread, but thanks for your response.

I don't get the braided line circle configuration issue, did the holes cause channels in the grain bed?

I use a silicone strainer in an igloo cooler for a false bottom.

-Lemy

www.reedbrewing.com

Old 06-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #550
bergman1118
Recipes 

It was the loop configuration itself that I think contributed to channeling, as I never had good eff with that setup even when the braid was free of larger holes.

Quick Reply