Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #531
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by idigg View Post
I made this with red wheat, and I cannot drink it. Does red wheat taste totally different than regular wheat? I am thinking about dumping this batch, I obviously did something wrong
I read somewhere in here that ed uses red wheat. How old is your brew? Don;t dump it just yet! Describe the flavors that you don't like.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #532
duffman2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman2 View Post

I have a group of friends coming by this weekend for samples
Well, my "group of friends" came by late Friday night and we had a couple before bed. Then on Saturday we smoked ribs all day while we had a few more. Then one of the girls came out and with a very sad look on her face she told me that it was all gone.

This was the first keg that we have ever kicked that fast! It was a big hit and is already being "requested" for a wedding next fall.

Amazing

Old 06-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #533
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Just thought I would offer this up. In my quest with the hefe style I went back and found the dunkelweizen episode from the brewing network. One notable difference I found there was the ferment temp.

According to Jamil 62F is the money spot for the ferment temp to get both clove and banana in the right amount for hefe's and dunkelweizen. He also says that you should pitch the correct amount of yeast.

Has anyone tried this recipe at 62F?

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 06-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #534
rack04
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah
Just thought I would offer this up. In my quest with the hefe style I went back and found the dunkelweizen episode from the brewing network. One notable difference I found there was the ferment temp.

According to Jamil 62F is the money spot for the ferment temp to get both clove and banana in the right amount for hefe's and dunkelweizen. He also says that you should pitch the correct amount of yeast.

Has anyone tried this recipe at 62F?
I am fermenting a very similar recipe right now at 62. I pitched at hybrid rates using mr malty calculator.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #535
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
I am fermenting a very similar recipe right now at 62. I pitched at hybrid rates using mr malty calculator.
Would you mind posting back, or PMing me your results?

I liked this hefe recipe, so don't get me wrong. But mine came out crisp with some light almost acidity/dryness and really no clove or banana - which I thought was what the style shot for. I was dead on with ferment temps at like 68-69F for the duration. Still a bready hefe, great with an orange. However I didn't feel I hit the style on the nose, like something was lacking.

I would be really interested to see the difference. Either way I will have to try it myself at some point.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 06-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #536
mistercameron
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah
I liked this hefe recipe, so don't But mine came out crisp with some light almost acidity/dryness and really no clove or banana - which I thought was what the style shot for. I was dead on with ferment temps at like 68-69F for the duration. Still a bready hefe, great with an orange. However I didn't feel I hit the style on the nose, like something was lacking.
Could that flavor profile be the type of yeast you are using?

Old 06-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #537
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercameron View Post
Could that flavor profile be the type of yeast you are using?
I don't think so, I used wyeast 3068 (the recc yeast).

"The classic and most popular German wheat beer strain used worldwide. This yeast strain produces a beautiful and delicate balance of banana esters and clove phenolics. The balance can be manipulated towards ester production through increasing the fermentation temperature, increasing the wort density, and decreasing the pitch rate. Over pitching can result in a near complete loss of banana character. Decreasing the ester level will allow a higher clove character to be perceived. Sulfur is commonly produced, but will dissipate with conditioning. This strain is very powdery and will remain in suspension for an extended amount of time following attenuation. This is true top cropping yeast and requires fermenter headspace of 33%. "

I did a 10G batch and used either a 2 cup cup starter or a single package (have to check my notes).

I should say, I got some light clove and light banana - but the crisp dryness or acidity wins out. I feel putting in an orange slice is pretty much a requirement. That said my batch is not quite 4 weeks old. I am wondering if this will be similar to my blood orange hefe that I really started to like at about 4-6 weeks.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 06-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #538
mistercameron
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

I have this one still in primary with White Labs WLP300. LHBS doesn't carry Wyeast and I went with WLP300 over 380 to get more banana than just clove. I don't have the best temp control - stick it in the closet - but the carboy temp has help pretty consistently at 72° for the last 5 days. That's still in range for the yeast, albeit on the high end. OG came out to 1.055.

I'll let you know how it comes out once I start taking readings for FG. I'm pretty optimistic.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:36 AM   #539
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So I just cracked open my version of this beer. Its AMAZING! By far the best beer I've made to date! And that's after only 5 days carbing. My grain bill was slightly different and I used WLP300, but I followed the hop schedule. I also did a multi-step mash with a protein rest. I am so excited... I've only had one and I am already plotting to brew this exact recipe again... But try open fermenting for that extra touch of authenticity. This one is a winner!

Old 06-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #540
ennis2000000000
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How fast from grain to glass?

Quick Reply