Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2011, 05:47 AM   #521
fisher1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

A glass from the keg at home:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 05:09 PM   #522
bergman1118
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Just have to say that I followed this recipe to a "T" and ended up getting 3rd place in the Weizen category at a local homebrew competition! The only negative comment from the judges was that it was a little lacking in body - I found out later that my thermometer was reading too high by about 2* F, so I mashed slightly lower than the target. Also, I would highly recommend a protein rest. I think if I had a little higher mash temp and had done a protein rest, this would have taken 1st.

Still, add that to the wealth of proof that this is a great, simple recipe! Thanks Ed!

Old 05-31-2011, 05:45 PM   #523
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

My batch was a hit as well with the guys this memorial day weekend. one keg down, dent in the second. It was great, I would get us a pitcher of the stuff off the tap with orange in it and we all just relaxed on the deck. Bottomless glass.

I ahve one very picky friend in particular who I thought would go back to his standard.... He met the hefe head on.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 06-02-2011, 03:17 AM   #524
duffman2
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorRobert View Post
Let us know how it tastes. I'm not surprised that it will ferment, but what kind of flavor is it going to produce? I haven't gotten great flavor from washed hefe yeast.
I've been holding my breath for a long time. Finally kegged it last week, and now the results are in.................

And it is damn good! Very bavarian, very smooth, great hefe flavor. I was scared but it's turned out great! Only negative is piss poor head retention. But really, who cares?

Thanks Ed!

Old 06-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #525
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman2 View Post
I've been holding my breath for a long time. Finally kegged it last week, and now the results are in.................

And it is damn good! Very bavarian, very smooth, great hefe flavor. I was scared but it's turned out great! Only negative is piss poor head retention. But really, who cares?

Thanks Ed!
That's enough for me to know to give it a try! Thanks for posting back

When I put an orange slice in - the head disappears anyway

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 06-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #526
duffman2
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah I was really worried about my year old hefe yeast, but it worked out just fine. The smell is slightly funky but I'm pretty sure that's totally in style with this. And once again, it goes down real smooth.

The only beer I've done with this was an American wheat last year so this is different and maybe the yeast might be better off fresh, but it fermented great and like I said, the proof is in the beer and the beer tastes great

Old 06-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #527
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman2 View Post
Yeah I was really worried about my year old hefe yeast, but it worked out just fine. The smell is slightly funky but I'm pretty sure that's totally in style with this. And once again, it goes down real smooth.

The only beer I've done with this was an American wheat last year so this is different and maybe the yeast might be better off fresh, but it fermented great and like I said, the proof is in the beer and the beer tastes great
I did this hefe with new yeast and met the proper ferment temps 68-71 ish - it still had a slightly sulfur smell that went away. This was my second hefe, first was an american hefe. Each one initially had a sulfur smell so I think that is part of the yeast struggling to break down the wheat sugars.

But I could just be talking out my....

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 06-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #528
duffman2
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Cool. I don't remember that being the case with my american wheat last year but it's been a whole year so who knows.

But I did have to tell my guinea pig (brother) to hold back on the sniffing part of the beer because I thought that it throws you off as to how good it tastes. He asked me why and I told him that I thought the smell was all part of the yeast's style.

But I thought I was pretty much talking out my.........

So, I hope it goes away soon. I have a group of friends coming by this weekend for samples

Old 06-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #529
idigg
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

I made this with red wheat, and I cannot drink it. Does red wheat taste totally different than regular wheat? I am thinking about dumping this batch, I obviously did something wrong

Old 06-03-2011, 12:27 AM   #530
bmason1623
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Made a Centennial Blonde today. I just increased the Vienna malt from 1/2# to 1#. We'll see how that comes out. It's probably a negligible change but you never know. Bottled my Pink Elephant clone last night.

Chicago Homebrewer's Yeast Bank Project

Chicago Home Brewers Group

Chicago Home Brewers Group Forum

Chicago Home Brewers Group Facebook Page

Quick Reply