Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #511
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Ed -

Just curious - any preference to mittlefruh or Hersbuecker hallertau for this recipe? I have both.

Thanks!

Edit: Well I went with mittlefruh and my ferment for the first few hours was 71-73 but with some work I got it down to 68-70. Now it is bubbling at 67-68F

Looking forward to this one!

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #512
gophilliesgo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just wanted to send thanks to you, Ed, for sharing this recipe. Simple. Perfect.

I ferment at 62F and sub Tettnanger for the hops are my only personal tweaks.

It was my first BCJP entry ever, and it won first place in the 2nd Annual Greg Noonan Homebrew Competition in Burlington, VT in the wheat/rye beer style category.

Danke Schon.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #513
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok, now that it took me 3 hours to read this thread... I still have a question. Lol.

I'm planning on making a very close version of this tonight using WLP300 and I'm still uncertain where to ferment it. This past winter and spring I fermented in our pantry, but it's getting warmer. The ambient air temp can vary from 67-72 degrees. My other option is in our basement with an ambient temp of 60-61, up now from 55 this winter. So my question... Which option is best? I want a good balance of clove/banana. But would prefer a bit more clove than banana. Other info that may be needed. Primary is a plastic bucket. And I usually chill to 65 before pitching.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #514
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One option would be the basement through high Krausen then bring it upstairs for the slower part of the fermentation. I'm not an expert but my understanding is that the initial fermentation creates heat more than the later part.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #515
VAShooter
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbethenstein View Post
Ok, now that it took me 3 hours to read this thread... I still have a question. Lol.

I'm planning on making a very close version of this tonight using WLP300 and I'm still uncertain where to ferment it. This past winter and spring I fermented in our pantry, but it's getting warmer. The ambient air temp can vary from 67-72 degrees. My other option is in our basement with an ambient temp of 60-61, up now from 55 this winter. So my question... Which option is best? I want a good balance of clove/banana. But would prefer a bit more clove than banana. Other info that may be needed. Primary is a plastic bucket. And I usually chill to 65 before pitching.
Basement. Your bucket temps will be 7-10 degrees higher than the air temps. I used WLP 300 with a starter and this thing went CRAZY for 4 straight days. My krausen finally started dropping after day 6 or 7. (Use a blow off tube). I used a swamp cooler and kept the wort temps around 66-68for the 10 days.

Secondary: Beer

Kegged / Bottled: Beer

Old 05-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #516
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Kicked my keg over the weekend. It cleared up way to quickly in the keg.. was basically a Krystalweizen. I agitated the keg everytime I poured, but didn't seem to matter. Should I avoid cold crashing a hefe next time?

Fall Line Brewing Company

http://www.beerisafourletterword.wordpress.com

Fermenter 1 - Spring Saison
Fermenter 2 -

Keg 1 - BCS Best Bitter
Keg 2 - McDole's APA
Keg 3 - BCS Robust Smoked Porter
Keg 4 - CYBI Obsidian Stout

Old 05-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #517
Mayday99
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How big a starter for this do you think? I am brewing a double batch this weekend and have 2 packs of fairly fresh 3068.

I think I am at about 11 IBUs right now, wonder how that compares to something like Paulaner or Franziskaner

I would think you want to stress the yeast a bit more for this style than you would with others.

I am contemplating not using a starter and just going 1 pack per 5 gallons.

So I guess the options are
2 packs, no starter
2 packs, ~1L starter each (This is about what Mr Malty reccommends with intermittent shaking)

Old 05-23-2011, 12:53 AM   #518
Mayday99
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ended up going without the starter and both batches still took off fairly quickly and were blowing yeast through the blowoff after about 15 hours (ferment in 6 gallon BB) Have them in a swamp cooler keeping temp around 65-67

My numbers were very close to what Ed had in the original recipe, I hit 1.051 OG, which is perfect for the style but a little lower than what I expected. This equals about 67% efficiency. Guess it is time to get my own mill. I think the wheat and the barley probably need to be milled at different settings do to the different grain size.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #519
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMass
One option would be the basement through high Krausen then bring it upstairs for the slower part of the fermentation. I'm not an expert but my understanding is that the initial fermentation creates heat more than the later part.
So I ended up keeping it upstairs until I saw airlock activity then it went down stairs.. It slowed down majorly! It got down to 60 or 62 (bucket temp), so it came back upstairs after 4 days downstairs. Took off again yesterday. So my basement is still a little too cold yet. I don't think it will get too much warmer for the summer. But upstairs we will not turn the ac on until 78 or 80 to save money. I guess I'm going to have to figure out what to do about fermentations over the summer.

There is a local homebrew club German beer contest coming up at the end of July. In your expert opinion will a hefe like this be good yet then? I brewed Tuesday so if I don't brew again for the contest it will be 10 1/2 weeks from brew day. Opinions much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:35 AM   #520
fisher1
Recipes 

Took this on the annual fishing trip to Kentucky Lake with my buddies. It was a big hit. Delicious.

Empty keg:

Quick Reply