Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #441
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_saturn_ascends View Post
Hey Ed, I have been searching for this online for about an 90 min so i thought i would ask the expert. What is the difference between using wheat berries and wheat malt? Is the wheat malt easily converted and the berries not so much? I use wheat berries as an adjunct in a beer of mine and love the nice wheaty taste they lend. what would happen if i used unmalted wheat?
The wheat berrys are not malted, so trying to get to the sugars will be hard.

I use malted wheat because the starches are now available to be converted to sugars in the mash at the stated temp & time which is the whole reason of using malted grains.

As an adjucnt in small amounts, it looks to add some flavor though, but in a Bavarian Hefe, over 50% of the grist must come from Wheat, brewers use malted wheat for this purpose.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 01:13 AM   #442
Ceedubya
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Not sure if this has been asked and answered here already (I read most of it) but here goes: I plan to make this as one of my first all grains this month but need to bottle instead of keg. I have the ability to keg, but this one will need to be bottled as it is for a friend and we are brewing and bottling at his house 2 hours away.

anyways, any suggestions for bottling? If I don't want to use corn sugar for priming what are my alternatives? Since there is supposed to be yeast still in suspension, is there danger of of bottle bombs? do you need to cut back on the amount of sugar used for priming? when serving should it be swirled to put some of the yeast back into suspension or will it have enough already?

Don't want to sound stupid, but I have never made this style of beer before and don't want any surprises, especially at my freind's (who also happens ot be my boss) house!!

Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here! - The Dude

I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to
have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and
sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Old 02-28-2011, 02:06 AM   #443
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceedubya
Not sure if this has been asked and answered here already (I read most of it) but here goes: I plan to make this as one of my first all grains this month but need to bottle instead of keg. I have the ability to keg, but this one will need to be bottled as it is for a friend and we are brewing and bottling at his house 2 hours away.

anyways, any suggestions for bottling? If I don't want to use corn sugar for priming what are my alternatives? Since there is supposed to be yeast still in suspension, is there danger of of bottle bombs? do you need to cut back on the amount of sugar used for priming? when serving should it be swirled to put some of the yeast back into suspension or will it have enough already?

Don't want to sound stupid, but I have never made this style of beer before and don't want any surprises, especially at my freind's (who also happens ot be my boss) house!!
If you want to be traditional, brew another batch on bottling day and add some of that wort to your beer at bottling.

Or you could save some wort, and use that.

Or use corn sugar or dme. I think dme would suit you well.

No risk of bottle bombs due to yeast, its the sugar content that's important there.

And yes, serve mit hefe (with yeast)

Good luck!

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 02-28-2011, 02:08 AM   #444
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Also you might to use even more sugar to carb as hefe should be carbed higher.

I use beer smith to calculate how much dme to add, and carb to 3 volumes.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 02-28-2011, 02:49 AM   #445
Ceedubya
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorRobert View Post
If you want to be traditional, brew another batch on bottling day and add some of that wort to your beer at bottling.

Or you could save some wort, and use that.

Or use corn sugar or dme. I think dme would suit you well.

No risk of bottle bombs due to yeast, its the sugar content that's important there.

And yes, serve mit hefe (with yeast)

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorRobert View Post
Also you might to use even more sugar to carb as hefe should be carbed higher.

I use beer smith to calculate how much dme to add, and carb to 3 volumes.
Thanks! I think I will go the DME route, as I will have extra on hand anyways. I plan to take plenty of pictures, so I'll post them up after brew day.

Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here! - The Dude

I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to
have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and
sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #446
Hawaiianbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed this yesterday. For the second time in a row my efficiency was terrible with this brew although better this time. OG around 1.042, however I did end up with a little over 6 gallons. Probably should have boiled a bit longer. No matter, this thing was awesome the first time and it looks damn good right now. Bubbling within 5 hours and 2 inch thick kraus next morning. Rock on, thanks again Ed

Old 02-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #447
andymi86
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

For those of you bottling, are you still only fermenting 10 days and crash cooling?

I also got poor efficiency (worse than my normal poor efficiency) , my theory is because the difference in size between the wheat and barley maybe my crush was too coarse. I also mashed for 60 min, so that could have been it too. What is the idea between a 90 minute mash for this recipe? I always thought 60 was fine unless below 150f. Does it have to do with the wheat?

Old 03-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #448
Cubslover
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I want that authentic Banana/Clove Hefe.

Bookmarked. Thanks Ed. I'll use your recipe to the "T"!

"Some people are still alive only because it's illegal to kill them."

"To Clone" List:
- Sammy Smith's Winter Welcome
- Southern Tier Choklat Stout
- Rogue Dead Guy Ale
- Three Floyd's Gumballhead

Old 03-09-2011, 02:09 AM   #449
cleinen
Recipes 

Anyone ever try adding any honey malt to this?

Old 03-09-2011, 02:32 AM   #450
Hawaiianbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Took a sample last night, 7 days old, 1.012 so coming along nicely. To be honest the smell was pretty bad, VERY estery, but the taste was surprisingly smooth with a very pleasant / distinct banana and clove. Fermenting right at 65. I think this will turn out very nice

Quick Reply