Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #421
DrinkNoH2O
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I cracked one of these open last night after about 2 weeks in the bottle. Fantastic - my best hefe yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #422
IPAAAA
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Mine is getting close to testing time. I can't wait.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #423
KeithMoonsLiver
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkNoH2O View Post
I cracked one of these open last night after about 2 weeks in the bottle. Fantastic - my best hefe yet.
Any pics? Looking to make this but also going to replace some of the pils with munich malt. Enough to get it to 5-6 SRM.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:55 PM   #424
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkNoH2O View Post
Subbing American wheat malt for German is not going to affect this recipe at all. Might change the color and malt profile just a hair but unless you did a side by side comparison you wouldn't notice the difference.
Yep, I've made this recipe using Canada Malt Pilsner & Wheat malt and it turned out very good too. The big key is fermenting temps and Weihenstephen German Hefeweizen yeast.
MRbutlertron Likes This 
Old 11-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #425
IPAAAA
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

I think I fermented too cool at around 68. Don't seem to have a lot of banana flavor or clove. Kinda seems watered down is the best way I could put it.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #426
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPAAAA View Post
I think I fermented too cool at around 68. Don't seem to have a lot of banana flavor or clove. Kinda seems watered down is the best way I could put it.
Actually, that's the perfect temp. Did you use Wyeast 3068?

Old 11-26-2010, 12:51 AM   #427
IPAAAA
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Yup. I was expecting umm I guess a thicker mouth feel if that makes sense. t is still very good but maybe I just havent had a commercial hef lately so I could tell the difference.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:48 AM   #428
Chriselv
Recipes 

I brewed this recipe a while back using the 3056 yeast. It came out REALLY well. It is a beer that everybody seem to like, even the pilsner-only drinkers!

I'm brewing a new hefe tomorrow, with the 3068 yeast, hoping to get a bit more clove and banana taste.

So, my question is, what do you guys think about adding 1 % chocolate malt and about 7 % munchener (replacing a bit of the pilsner malt)? I'm also going to try a mash schedule similar to what they do at Schneider, only with infusion, not decoction.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:47 AM   #429
RobBug
Recipes 

Thanks for the recipe - it is now a staple beer in my kegerator for SWMBO.

Grain to glass in less than a month. I personally do not enjoy some of the flavors in a true Hefe. I thank you Ed for bringing that to the table because most "Hefes" in the supermarket are really just American Wheat beers as far as I can tell.

The important thing though is my wife loves it. She adds a bit of raspberry syrup to hers (OMG!! WTH!!) and thoroughly enjoys the dance of malt and fruit with a touch (smitdgen) of hops.

Bubblehead Brewing - Bangor, WA submariners' Brew Blogs
---
"The hardest part of all-grain brewing is arguing about it on the interwebs ;-)" - tjpfeister

Old 01-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #430
NoCornOrRice
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Why is it that almost everything I have read on homebrewing the Hefe style indicates it peaks in drinkability quickly (about 3 weeks from brew day) and then goes downhill? I usually find the 2 month mark to be ideal taste-wise for most of my standard (5-6%abv) beers. I kegged the recipe at the start of this thread (change being I used WB-06 yeast from Fermentis) after letting in sit in primary for 2 weeks, set at 14psi, 40F and served a week later.

It was horrid. I had all but decided that my taste buds were not compatible with the style, and was preparing to give away the keg. I just tried it again (6 weeks from brew day), and I think it is great. Good thing too, since I have another 40 pounds of wheat to use up.

I am virtually certain there was no brewing flaw or infection, and other brewers who tried it concur. So why on Earth would my brewing books say the pinnacle of taste is three weeks from brew day?

Now its actually so good I'll make it again, but 2 weeks ago, I was thinking of it as destined for the drain.

Quick Reply