Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #311
mbaker33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed this up a little more than a month ago for the second time. Both times have been huge hits.

The first time I used a German Wheat yeast, different from the Bravarian used in the recipe. This created a very mild Hefe, more in line with some of the Americanized Hefe's from Harpoon, or Widmer.

This time I kept the recipe in tact but performed a decoction. Wow, the decoction really adds a level of sweetness that is very impressive. It's a lot more time consuming, but I think it brings it more to style.

Great beer Ed, so far every recipe I have made of yours has been a big hit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #312
craigbrew
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I haven't read the whole thread so I'm not sure if this has been answered yet. Has any one done a step mash with this? I so could you post your times and temps.

Kuhnhenn Guild of Brewers homebrew club (KGB)

Old 06-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #313
Diablotastic
Recipes 

Thinking about using a little bit of natural vanilla extract and natural banana extract at kegging.....thoughts?

PRIMARY:Empty
SECONDARY:Empty
KEGGED:Orange Kolsch (BM's)
KEGGED:House Rye Pale Ale
ON DECK:Centennial Blonde

Old 06-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #314
jlpred55
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am a big weizen drinker. I've made nearly 20 batches of it in varing grain bills, none ever used this much wheat. Until now I have no idea why! Well, I've just tapped a keg of this beer last night that was brewed on 5/23. It is now 2:30 in the afternoon here and I cannot wait to get home to have my Rastal weizen glass full of it. I did change the recipe up a bit but only added 4oz of melanoidin and over shot my gravity by 7 points. The rest was the same. This is one fantastic beer and the mouthfeel is excellent. Very light and drinkable with an incredibly smooth mouthfeel. Time to re-brew as this isn't going to last too long.

Thanks for the recipe and the inspiration Ed.

Kegged: Millenium Galaxy IPA, German Pilsner. Apricot Blonde Ale, ACE Witbier, ACE American Wheat.
Bottled: Smoked Red Rye, Old Tanglefoot Barleywine, Tripel, Dubbel, American Farmhouse Ale

Old 06-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #315
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablotastic View Post
Thinking about using a little bit of natural vanilla extract and natural banana extract at kegging.....thoughts?
Sacrilege!

Follow the recipe, hit the temps, and you'll have plenty of those notes naturally.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:08 PM   #316
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I had two German Weizen fans over last weekend. These two Germans went through 3/4 of a keg in a Saturday evening/Sunday afternoon.

They could not stop talking about it or drinking it. Best validation evah!

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 06-17-2010, 08:14 PM   #317
PVH
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
Best validation evah!
I love moments like that. A friend of mine can't drink Paulaner (his favorite beer) anymore after going through a six pack of my hefe. The difference between a fresh, well-homebrewed hefe and the big commercial versions is pretty stark. The latter is just a shadow of the former.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:06 AM   #318
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi EdWort Weizen fans. I'm ready for round 2. I went to my HBS and picked up some ingredients yesterday. Unfortunately, I have no fresh hops for this one, but I have some Hallertau pellets kicking around the freezer and if they aren't enough, I'll add some of my homegrown Sterling.

This one was a big hit last time around - no surprise based on the other entries above. I got addicted to the combination of drinking this beer and eating cherries.

I'm just getting into water chemistry and have soft water. I'm thinking of adding some Ca and Mg to get up to suggested ranges for this brew.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #319
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

After a little googling here is what I came up with:

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 3
Mg: 1.4
Na: 10
Cl: 11
SO4: 8
CaCO3: 5

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 2.2 / 6
Dilution Rate: 0%

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaCO3: 0 / 0
CaSO4: 0 / 2
CaCl2: 2 / 2
MgSO4: 1 / 2
NaHCO3: 0 / 0
NaCl: 1 / 0
HCL Acid: 0 / 0
Lactic Acid: 0 / 0

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 68 / 53
Mg: 13 / 10
Na: 57 / 23
Cl: 200 / 93
SO4: 55 / 82
CaCO3: 5 / 5

RA (mash only): -51 (1 to 6 SRM)
Cl to SO4 (total water): 1.14 (Balanced)

Old 06-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #320
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This was my first water adjustment brew. From memory I used 1 tsp chalk, 1/2 tsp. CaCl2 and 1/2 tsp of Epson salts.

I use a plastic fermenter and had a few overflows. I'll need to hose off the lid at some point. Even the overflow tastes pretty good - banana milkshake?. I'm probably a little over 68F for ferment, so I'm guessing this'll be a little more banana tasting than my last batch. The wort before I pitched tasted terrible, sickly sweet, so I threw that out, but I guess the yeast did and is doing its majic.

Quick Reply