Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2008, 01:58 AM   #121
NikolausXX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. I wonder what I created, too bad it will be a couple weeks before a good tasting. The stuff in my secondary is clear as clear can be! That gelatin worked a wonder on it. Hope it tastes good. If not, hope I can choke it down! BTW I was not looking for a pilsner taste out of this. Was just trying to make a clear "Kristallweizen" without a filter. I guess I will see what ends up soon. Hopefully it bottle carbs ok, it looks clearer than any beer ive ever made.

Primary- Jamils Pale ale with crystal
Kegged- Apfelwein (almost gone)
Ageing- Joam Mead

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #122
944play
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Just got back from AHS with ingredients for BCB Hefe.

The Hallertau is a miserable 1.5%AA, so I got one ounce of that and an ounce of US Spalt at 2.6%. Spalt was what came with my previous two (AHS recipe) hefeweizen kits, so should sub in ok. BeerAlchemy gives me:

Code:
 1oz  Spalt    2.6% 60min, 8.8 IBU
.5oz Hallertau 1.5% 60min, 2.6 IBU
.5oz Hallertau 1.5% 15min, 1.3 IBU
for 12.7 total IBU. Should I stick with that schedule?

Old 10-11-2008, 06:09 PM   #123
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

No, you don't want hop bitterness in the Hefe, you only want a bit of it and very light aroma. Try your 1 oz. Spalt at 45 and 1 oz. Hallertau at 15 which will give you 12 IBUs.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:16 PM   #124
944play
Recipes 

Thanks, Ed. That makes it simpler for me too.

I'm cooling the starter wort now!

Edit: I got 5.5 gallons at 1.051 in the bucket! Closest I've ever come to a gravity target.

Last edited by 944play; 10-12-2008 at 12:26 AM.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:07 AM   #125
dp69_2001
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Due to ****ty timing. (Out of beer!) I'll be bottling this tomorrow. Without racking to gelatin. Temp stayed too cold throughout. Warmed it up to room temp after fermentation finished though. I'm almost as excited to add this yeast to my mason jar collection as I am to drink this beer. Okay, not even.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:39 PM   #126
944play
Recipes 

PEEEEYEEEWW!! I'm fermenting this at 62F per Jamil, and it's kicking out loads of sulfur. I'll let it roll up to 68 when it slows down....

Old 10-16-2008, 04:53 AM   #127
NikolausXX
Recipes 

Well I just bottled my kristall gelatin experiment. The secondary looked so much clearer than the regular heffeweizen batch. But the sample 1/2 beer left over after bottling, looked and tasted just like my first batch. Ed your the man, I guess ill need to figure out a filter if I want to try this, as I cant buy any around here. I really dont want to blow 50 bucks or more on a filter just to make a beer I may or may not like. The gelatin beer doesnt have as much yeast taste, but there is still yeast, so it should carb ok. Will see if it clears some when it cools in fridge after bottle condition.
My brother who moved to germany, loves the kristall. He likes the pils better. He won 100 euros over there in a beer chugging contest! He chuged 1 liter of Kolmbacher pils in like 30 seconds. Its double or nothing tonight, 2 liters. I dont think he will make it to work tomarow. I think last night and today are his birthday celebration Oct 15. So I know he didnt go to work today, after last nights drunk fest. Thats all he does over there, is drink there beer. He says they dont have ANY american beer over there other than special bars that server Miller and Coors.

Ageing- Joam Mead

Last edited by NikolausXX; 10-16-2008 at 05:03 AM.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:35 AM   #128
NikolausXX
Recipes 

Well, I know its a little off subject but this beer with gelatin, produced a VERY clear beer. I named it Redneck Kristallweizen on my label. I am impressed, my first gelatin beer, this is the clearest batch ive ever made, 4th batch ive made personally. I sampled one of the 6 day bottle carbing beers. The gelatin seems to have not stoped the bottle carb. I did no moss, and no filtration. Taste is like the first batch I did with no geletin, but without the yeast flavor being so thick. Seems a little lighter tasting, with less yeast taste, and best of all Kristall clear. It has very little sediment, and the yeast in the bottles is thin, and stays in, you can pour almost the whole bottle out. Im sure a couple more weeks bottle carb, and some time in fridge will reward me well.

Ageing- Joam Mead

Old 10-20-2008, 12:29 PM   #129
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolausXX View Post
Well, I know its a little off subject but this beer with gelatin, produced a VERY clear beer. I named it Redneck Kristallweizen on my label. I am impressed, my first gelatin beer, this is the clearest batch ive ever made, 4th batch ive made personally. I sampled one of the 6 day bottle carbing beers. The gelatin seems to have not stoped the bottle carb. I did no moss, and no filtration. Taste is like the first batch I did with no geletin, but without the yeast flavor being so thick. Seems a little lighter tasting, with less yeast taste, and best of all Kristall clear. It has very little sediment, and the yeast in the bottles is thin, and stays in, you can pour almost the whole bottle out. Im sure a couple more weeks bottle carb, and some time in fridge will reward me well.
Congrats! Now we need a picture.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 10-20-2008, 01:16 PM   #130
Mustangj

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangj View Post
Last glass.

I'm drinking some now..

Michigan Mashers