Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #1051
andylsun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wow, that went nuts! 2.5 gal of head space in the bucket and a blow off tube, and foam all over the bottom of my fermentation chamber! There's a nice amount of yeast in the blow off container, and if I thought about it, I would have sanitized it to trap the yeast for the next brew.

Last edited by andylsun; 07-30-2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: added image

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2013, 03:06 AM   #1052
andylsun
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Kegged - sample tastes amazing even flat and warm. Nice balance of flavours. On the gas for 2 weeks. FG was 1.012 which is slightly higher than expected.

Edit: Couldn't wait and tapped the keg after a week. Lovely taste, not too dominated by one or the other. Sorry about the out of style glass

Old 09-12-2013, 01:23 AM   #1053
slimshady95sox
Recipes 

Default Q

is the wyeast activator good enough as a starter to picth in?

Also, exactly what wheat malt did you use, is white malt fine?

And what exactly do you mean by efficiency and how do you figure it out and why is it important?

What do you think about adding flaked wheat to it?

Old 09-12-2013, 01:33 AM   #1054
archer75
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The activator isn't a starter.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #1055
Xantus954
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I tried this as my first BIAB all grain batch and made some mistakes resulting in missing my OG, I only got up to 1.040. I also substituted White labs WLP400 because I had some washed yeast from a previous batch on hand. I originally brewed this on on 9/7 and went to keg it on 9/21 and found that it appears to be stuck @ 1.020

I moved it up from the basement because we have been getting temperatures below in the low 50s some nights and i figured it may be a little cold and fermenting slowly but the temp of the sample i took from it was 68.4 F, so im not sure thats it. I'm going to take another reading today and I'm hoping its made some progress.

I've only had one stuck batch before and it was a temperature issue, so once I moved the fermenter to a warmer area it kicked right back into gear. Hoping that this one will do the same, if not should I add more yeast? Still new to all grain and I'm not sure if not hitting my target gravities caused more unfermentable sugars in this and that's why its "stuck". Its only about 25 bucks worth of ingredients but I'd hate to have to throw it down the drain.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #1056
rigger7
Recipes 

Has anyone tried putting Honey in this?

Old 09-30-2013, 04:37 AM   #1057
branman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger7 View Post
Has anyone tried putting Honey in this?
I thought about it but didn't because I didn't know if the honey would make it too dry

Old 09-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #1058
rigger7
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by branman View Post
I thought about it but didn't because I didn't know if the honey would make it too dry
Dry really? I didn't think honey would do that.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:46 AM   #1059
branman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger7 View Post

Dry really? I didn't think honey would do that.
Anytime I've fermented honey like mead or a recipe that had any significant amount of honey it always ferments out dry. Maybe someone else (more qualified than me) could throw in their 2 cents

Old 10-11-2013, 03:56 AM   #1060
PastorofMuppets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I have a couple questions for the people who have brewed this beer. I am too lazy to read all the pages of info.

I am trying to brew a batch my wife (i refuse to use the term swmbo :P ) will like.
This hefeweizen is my best guess.

I am looking for a rich creamy mouthfeel, sweet delicious beer with banana ester.

1. How is the mouthfeel of the beer? I want a creamy rich beer. Has anyone felt it necessary to add dextrine or carapils to the batch?

2. how is the final sweetness? my wife doesnt like bitter at all. When she drinks wine she drinks the liquid candy kinda stuff. I dont want to get outta whack to far on this beer but I want it to be sweet in the end so she likes it, but I also want to like it.

3. beersmith is telling me that not even a full 1 liter starter is enough for the 3068. I usually make a .75 liter starter for almost every batch and have had great luck. Any reason to think this will be different.

4. Is the recipe on page 1 the most up to date widely accepted way to go on this beer or is there changes. I have read some stuff about red wheat and other stuff.

5. Do you think this will be a good style for my girl? I really want to make a beer she will like. She is super supportive but doenst like beer at least not yet, and id like to change that.

Quick Reply