Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2013, 03:43 AM   #1031
Setesh
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 264 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by allhailRITTER View Post
I think a lot of people have had the sulfur issue, as stated on Wyeast's website, this strain has the tendency to produce sulfur smells. I think if sulfur smells are present you have to give it a little more time in the primary to age out. I just did this batch for the first time and had a very prominent sulfur smell at the 10 day mark. I ended up leaving it in the primary for a total of 3 weeks and the smell was non-existent when I kegged it.
Exactly the same for me. I've made this 3 times now and it has happened every time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #1032
abledsoe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allhailRITTER View Post
I think a lot of people have had the sulfur issue, as stated on Wyeast's website, this strain has the tendency to produce sulfur smells. I think if sulfur smells are present you have to give it a little more time in the primary to age out. I just did this batch for the first time and had a very prominent sulfur smell at the 10 day mark. I ended up leaving it in the primary for a total of 3 weeks and the smell was non-existent when I kegged it.
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately mine is already in the keg. Hopefully with time it will lessen, good to know for the next batch.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #1033
letmeholleratya
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by abledsoe

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately mine is already in the keg. Hopefully with time it will lessen, good to know for the next batch.
I've had a cider batch that I kegged with a strong sulfur smell still present. The odor did not really die down with time in the keg. I've heard people have had good luck with continuously purge the headspace after the beer has been carbed.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #1034
allhailRITTER
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Tapped this this weekend. It is absolutely delicious. Very refreshing. I will definitely be repeating this recipe.

image-861698937.jpg

Old 06-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #1035
JacksSpleen
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Tapped this yesterday and it turned out great! My wife loved it. I hit all my numbers, fermented for 14 days at 68 in my new new fermentation chamber. Got a real nice banana flavor with no sulfur at all. Definitely a keeper. I used German Red Wheat and Canadian Pilsen (all my LHBS had) and everything else as the original recipe calls for. Great summer beer.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:14 AM   #1036
idrinkstuffnthings
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hello all. Im going to be making this in the morning. I forgot to make a starter with a WL300 yeast. I get home from night shift at 9 am. Would it be worth it to make a starter and pitch about 8 hours later?? Or could i get away with just pitching the vial? Any input is appreciated, Thanks!

Old 06-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #1037
idrinkstuffnthings
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well this is a sad day. Dunno what went wrong. Got an OG of 1.042. Never been off by more then a point or 2. Same setup, same grind, same everything. Dunno what happened. Is wheat beer harder to get good efficiency? This is my first one. Ah well. As long as it tastes good I guess a 4.5% beer is alright

Old 06-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #1038
branman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkstuffnthings View Post
Well this is a sad day. Dunno what went wrong. Got an OG of 1.042. Never been off by more then a point or 2. Same setup, same grind, same everything. Dunno what happened. Is wheat beer harder to get good efficiency? This is my first one. Ah well. As long as it tastes good I guess a 4.5% beer is alright
Same thing happen to me on second batch. Did everything just like the first except I overshot my volume. Still gonna taste great though

Old 06-27-2013, 01:18 AM   #1039
electrobank
Recipes 

I brewed this up a few weeks ago, got zero banana out of it, actually tastes just like Leffe (?). Fermented at 68...maybe I'll up the temp next time.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #1040
Boodlemania
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Brewing this again this weekend. It's been a summer staple in my keezer for several years now.

- CStone

Quick Reply