Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > Beaudoin White Apple Ale (Beginner)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
MontrealBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beaudoin White Apple Ale (Beginner)

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: N/A
Final Gravity: N/A
IBU: Low
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: Murky
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 28
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): N/A
Tasting Notes: Appley, but not overwhelmingly so.

So this is my first beer recipe posted to HBT, and it's a little hodge-podge. This all began with the problem of having picked 20lb of apples near Montreal, and needing to get rid of a few. What follows is a very simple recipe, probably not very useful for advanced brewers, but useful for beginners and the horribly unscientific. I certainly fall into the latter category. The beer ends up being quite good though.

1kg (2.2 lb) Wheat DME
2kg (4.4 lb) Pilsen DME
1/2 kg (1 lb) Carapils
2.5 kg (5.5 lb) Apples
50g (just under two ounces) Hallertau (dry-hopped)
1 pack Nottingham Ale yeast

Steep the Carapils in 67 degree Celsius water, or, if you're like me (i.e without a thermometre) water that feels pretty hot to the touch but not boiling, for about 30 minutes. Then do 60 minute boil of DME, rehydrate yeast and pitch once cooled.

After two weeks, peel, core and finely chop the apples. Briefly heat them to just under boiling point, put in sanitized mesh bag (re-usable produce bags are your friend here), then wait another week before dry-hopping.

The beer is quite pleasant to drink. Slightly hazy because of it being a wheat ale, and because I forgot to add Irish moss/carageenan, and because I may have accidentally boiled the apples, which brings out the pectin. Overall all though a very nice drinkable white ale, with a noticeable aroma of apples but not an overpowering taste. It was inspired by Unibroue's Ephemere Apple Ale. I used Nottingham because it's a fairly neutral yeast, and because i had extra kicking around. Enjoy!

Last edited by MontrealBrewer; 12-02-2013 at 03:01 AM. Reason: typo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply