Fruit and Spice Beer Bananas Foster Dunkel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debaniel

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
27.75 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 lbs. American Caramel 120°L
0.25 lbs. Belgian Special B
6.4 lbs. Liquid Wheat Extract
1 lbs. Candi Sugar Dark

1.5 oz. East Kent Goldings (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle (Pellets, 4.75 %AA) boiled 15 min.

PRIMING - Bottle with vanilla extract and good quality rum. Everyone's different on the amount for these - 2oz of vanilla is a good starting place. As for the rum, you can either bottle it with the rum included, or add it to each bottle as you drink 'em.

turned out excellent with 1oz of vanilla and 375ml of rum...

not sure about using vanilla in a secondary... no experience with it...

let me know if you try it!

as far as priming is concerned, when I added 375ml of rum and 1/4 cup of brown sugar, the carbonation was perfect.

Looking to brew this recipe tonight, but I have never brewed with the Belgian Candy Sugar before....so do I just dissolve all these ingredients at the start of the boil and let it go for the 60 mins, only worrying about the hop additions? Or is there more to it than that?

i took a shot at this bananas foster idea with a totally different recipe. brewed it last night. here goes:

1 lb honey malt
.5 lb carawheat
.5 lb caramunich
6 oz melanoidin
7 oz crystal 20L
2.25 lb wheat DME
.5 oz amarillo whole 75min
.5 oz cluster pellet 10min
1 lb wheat dme 10min
.5 lb brown sugar 10min
Wyeast American Ale II

Flameout Spicing Additions: 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, .5 oz vanilla extract powder, 10 drops marshmallow extract, 20 drops banana split extract
*after a few days i'm going to add 1 cup of Myers Dark Rum which has a scraped vanilla bean and 1 oz french oak chips soaking along with a few more drops of banana split extract if needed.
OG - 1.047

As you can tell i'm going for a very sweet, low hopped beer with lots of flavor going on. I'm shooting for a FG of 1.010 and will age for about a month before i bottle. i probably won't secondary, but we'll see as time progresses.

any pointers? anything you would personally do different? whatta ya think?

Marshmallow extract? Does such a thing exist? I believe marshmallow taste is just vanilla.

it exists indeed http://capellaflavordrops.com/flavordrops.aspx
marshmallow15ml.jpg

the drops are so helpful! it's nice to able to cheat a little to get more flavor. i used 2 vanilla beans but also added the 10 drops of marshmallow extract. same rules apply as with all extracts, though. go light!

this beer is really an excellent creation. it's nice and light but flavorful and delicious. it didn't start out with very much banana flavor, but it seems to be coming on more and more over time. the vanilla was most prominent at first but the cinnamon and nutmeg are slowly coming to the forefront. dark rum doesn't really stand out but there's the lightest touch of it. no oak flavor at all but it may have helped to round out the character. i like the recipe alot and it was a crowd favorite at the holiday parties. i'm not shy to call it a success, although i wouldn't exactly call it a bananas foster. for improvements: def needs more banana split extract, dark rum, a pinch more spices and a scottish or english ale yeast would compliment this more than the american ale yeast.
jessephotos021.jpg

Back