Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - American Wheat Beer - 2nd place Best of show - 2011 HBT BJCP competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #81
Brando_i
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Very interesting recipe and very encouraged by all the feedback. I'll be attempting this one tomorrow, only difference is that my LHBS is completely out of centennial and magnum so I'll be substituting the magnum for columbus (13.9) and I'll be using almost 2 ounces of cascade (3.8) to replace the centennial. I hate not having the right hops on hand. I'm open to comments if anyone thinks these substitutions aren't right.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #82
Mparsons327
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thinking about brewing this one up today. I have everything except for the Munich malt. Does anyone have any thoughts about subbing honey malt for the Munich?

Old 04-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #83
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Thinking about trying this with Amarillo. Drinking one right now with the cent and it is very delicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mparsons327 View Post
Thinking about brewing this one up today. I have everything except for the Munich malt. Does anyone have any thoughts about subbing honey malt for the Munich?
It's not a sub because it's a type of crystal malt. I have never used it but I couldn't see 5% of the grains being too over powering.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 04-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #84
Mparsons327
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampassJ View Post
Thinking about trying this with Amarillo. Drinking one right now with the cent and it is very delicious.

It's not a sub because it's a type of crystal malt. I have never used it but I couldn't see 5% of the grains being too over powering.
Just got this in the fermentor. with nice weather coming I plan on doing the original recipe sometime this week. It will be nice to see how subtle the difference is. I also used US05 instead of the kolsch yeast because I didnt really have time to do a starter.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #85
Brando_i
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I also got this into the fermentor Sunday night. I'll cold crash it Wednesday night into Thursday and bottle. Anxious to give it a little taste.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #86
tbright0223
Recipes 

I've had this sitting in the primary for 3 days now and after the massive first day of fermentation (good thing I used a blowoff) it is still at a constant bubble every few seconds. My OG was a little low at 1.044 but I think it will still be great. Will post pics after I crack the first one.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #87
Musky01
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made this recipe in january, it has wonderful carb but no head. When I made it I missed my sparge volume so stupidly partially covered the bk to minimize boil off, resulting in a little dms. Realized this after reading a thread a few days ago, has a very noticeable coors flavor.

What I'm wondering is if this is the cause of the weak, instantly fading head or is that how this beer is supposed to be. If that is intended would a half pound of flaked wheat help or is there a better way?

Old 04-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #88
bumstigedy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I brewed something very similar to this today; can't wait to see how it turns out. My grain bill is essentially the same, but the hops and hop schedule were a little different. I am also using the Kolsch yeast. I typically use a different yeast when I brew my American wheat, but the homebrew shop was out of it

Old 04-09-2012, 03:10 AM   #89
thunderworm
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Musky01, This recipe has always given me a beer with a good thick head with pretty good retention. I'm not sure if partially covering the boil could affect head retention or not. Otherwise typical causes, besides lack of carbonation, include detergent or lipid residue on glassware, excessive protein degradation in the mash (but shouldn't be a problem with the single infusion 152°F mash in this recipe).

Adding a 1/2 lb of flaked wheat should help if you can't find any other cause.

It's about time for me to make up a batch of this again...

Old 04-09-2012, 04:04 AM   #90
Musky01
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, I'm sure it was something I did. Had too many home brews when I made it and when I missed the sparge volume I didn't want to heat up more water so I stupidly covered the pot. I was so out of it I even used a healthy dose of irish moss and this turned out one of the clearest beer I have made.

Quick Reply