Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - American Wheat Beer - 2nd place Best of show - 2011 HBT BJCP competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #41
Justillinround
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Well bubbling has slowed down. So I opened the lid to have a smell. It took my breath away really strong alco smell. When i took a big smell my nostrils burned... This is my first ferment in a plastic fermenter. I normally ferment in glass. Although you really cant get your whole face in glass carboys, but the plastic fermenter has a lid. Freaked me out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #42
HollywoodMX
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justillinround View Post
Well bubbling has slowed down. So I opened the lid to have a smell. It took my breath away really strong alco smell. When i took a big smell my nostrils burned... This is my first ferment in a plastic fermenter. I normally ferment in glass. Although you really cant get your whole face in glass carboys, but the plastic fermenter has a lid. Freaked me out.
That's CO2 burn. The CO2 layer created by the yeast is what burned your nostrils. Sinff a charged corney keg and it will do the same thing.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:53 AM   #43
Justillinround
Recipes 

Thanks for telling me that...

Old 12-29-2011, 01:47 AM   #44
Justillinround
Recipes 

Im going to cold crash for the day and carb tomorrow. I got an FG of 1.010. Sample tasted nice too. Ive never brewed with 029. I might try that yeast again if I like the beer...

Last edited by Justillinround; 12-29-2011 at 02:35 AM.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:05 AM   #45
Justillinround
Recipes 

Nice beer. I put 12g of Galaxy instead of Magnum...

forumrunner_20111231_130226.jpg

Old 01-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #46
MrNic
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 655 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I brewed this on the 6th of January with US-05 instead of the Kolsch yeast. My efficiency was pretty bad for some reason so I only got an SG of 1.040 and the IBU's were a little higher.

I took a gravity reading today (4 days after pitching) and it's already at 1.009. I tasted the sample and it's amazing. The nose has a hop presence like a pale ale, but the flavor tastes very smooth like an american wheat. I think the Munich gives it a great flavor.

I'm planning on bottling next Monday (10 days after pitching). If it tastes as good when it's carbonated as it does now, I'll be very happy. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

Old 01-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #47
thunderworm
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

I'm glad you all seem to be enjoying the recipe!

I might also have to try it with US-05 since I usually have a few packs of that on hand. I really like what the Wyeast Kolsch yeast does for it, but it does change in character somewhat as the beer ages. I imagine US-05 would give a more steady character while also giving a fast turnaround, which is one of the things I really like about this recipe.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:49 AM   #48
thunderworm
Recipes 

Hey MrNic, I just noticed your location is Laramie. I've been enjoying visiting Laramie over the last couple years since my brother has been in school there! Had some real cheap Sierra Nevada on tap at the Buckhorn, and two Thanksgivings ago we had a great time at the Ranger playing shuffleboard and drinking Ranger all Thanksgiving day!

Old 01-11-2012, 04:00 AM   #49
MrNic
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 655 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworm View Post
Hey MrNic, I just noticed your location is Laramie. I've been enjoying visiting Laramie over the last couple years since my brother has been in school there! Had some real cheap Sierra Nevada on tap at the Buckhorn, and two Thanksgivings ago we had a great time at the Ranger playing shuffleboard and drinking Ranger all Thanksgiving day!
Laramie's okay, but I'm ready to get out of here after I graduate in May. I try to avoid the Buckhorn...their bathrooms are nasty and they don't clean their tap lines.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:10 AM   #50
thunderworm
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNic View Post
Laramie's okay, but I'm ready to get out of here after I graduate in May. I try to avoid the Buckhorn...their bathrooms are nasty and they don't clean their tap lines.
But their urinals at the Buckhorn are HUGE!

I must have been lucky with the draft SN at the Buckhorn. Not much worse than infected tap lines. Good luck with graduation and beyond!

Quick Reply