Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - American Wheat Beer - 2nd place Best of show - 2011 HBT BJCP competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2013, 01:25 AM   #191
dickyB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Made this a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with the results. I had a bad mash and had to add 3lbs of extra light dme. Can't wait to give it a try again. I split the batch after primary and kept 1 gallon as is and put 4 gallons over 3lbs of raspberry puree. Both are delicious, thanks for the recipe!

forumrunner_20131104_212536.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #192
kharper6
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did this as my first all grain batch. I missed the OG by about 4 points due to crappy mashing, but, I am kegging and don't need to worry too much about yeast popping my bottles so I just dumped in some honey to make it up. I will comment later on the flavor, I am excited!

Old 11-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #193
HopheadNJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopheadNJ
Heating strike water for 5 gallons of this as we speak. Going to brew pretty much true to recipe, except for an extra dose of hops. Magnum at FW, 1/2oz Centennial @ 10min, 1/2oz Centennial @ 5min, and 1 oz Centennial at flameout for a total of 25.6 IBUS according to beersmith. Pitching a slurry of Kolsch yeast.
Dry hopped with an oz of cascade - this beer is delicious! Needs more hops though, i'm gonna multiply the late additions next time. The nice big pitch of yeast had this fermented and cleaned up quickly, tastes great less than 30 days from brewday! Really enjoying this one.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #194
kharper6
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just tapped this keg last night. I screwed up the mash effeciency as it was my first attempt at the all grain brew, however, it came out very light, crisp, and drinkable (too drinkable). Real heavy on the yeast scent and flavor, not in a bad way at all. Went through about a dozen glasses last night (oops).

Scrounged up about 2.5oz of the yeast from the bottom, tossed it right back into my stirplate, brewing with it again very soon. Round two will be a raspberry/orange something or another for the girlfriend and her mom for christmas!

Old 02-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #195
TxBigHops
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Adding this to my list of wheat beers that I am considering for my next brew. I'm just not sure about the Kolsch yeast? I don't care for most lagers so I'm not sure I want that type of flavor in the finish. I may sub a wheat yeast, or a slurry of US-05 from the beer currently in primary.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #196
thunderworm
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

For me, the Kolsch yeast is a key part of this recipe. I have also tried it with US-05 and it was enjoyable, but was kind of boring next to the Kolsch yeast version. An American Hefeweizen yeast might also work well, but I haven't tried it in this recipe. I did try using WLP380 Hefeweizen IV in this recipe, and I didn't like the resulting mix of the yeast flavors with the hops. However, that was only one time, and perhaps a different fermentation temperature would have produced much better results (right now I can't remember what temp I used).

Old 02-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #197
TxBigHops
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, I kinda figured the Kolsch was what made this recipe unique. This is a difficult stage in my brewing career. I've only been brewing since the beginning of the year, and don't really have the pipeline fully stocked yet. So I'm torn between brewing what I personally like best, and trying to drag other friends and family members into my hobby of brewing and enjoying craft beer. I'm a hop-head, so I could be happy brewing mostly IPAs, pale ales and variants of that theme. But none of my family members like them, so I want something they will drink, but still a beer that I will like too. Can you suggest a commercial beer that will represent the flavor profile of this yeast? Doesn't have to be a wheat beer, as I can adjust for that. I'm in Texas, and I believe Shiner makes a Kolsch.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #198
thunderworm
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

I haven't had the Shiner Kolsch. I can't really think of a commercial beer right now to give you an idea of the yeast character, but in this recipe I don't taste much lager character. The US-05 might be more widely appealing, and this would probably give you a beer closer to Boulevard Wheat, which is big around here.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:45 AM   #199
morbster
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Yeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworm View Post
I haven't had the Shiner Kolsch. I can't really think of a commercial beer right now to give you an idea of the yeast character, but in this recipe I don't taste much lager character. The US-05 might be more widely appealing, and this would probably give you a beer closer to Boulevard Wheat, which is big around here.
Thunderworm, I don't have access to any Kolsch yeasts where I live, and have the following options. Care to share your experience / opinion on the following yeasts? This will be my 3rd brew (previously used US-05 and S-04).
  • S-04
  • US-05
  • Safbrew WB-06
  • Safbrew T-58 (looks like it could be interesting, but I've never heard anything about this particular strain
  • Munich Wheat Beer Yeast

My main goal is to make a delicious beer (as opposed to staying true to the beer style guidelines for American wheat, for example).

Thanks

Old 02-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #200
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbster View Post
Thunderworm, I don't have access to any Kolsch yeasts where I live, and have the following options. Care to share your experience / opinion on the following yeasts? This will be my 3rd brew (previously used US-05 and S-04).
  • S-04
  • US-05
  • Safbrew WB-06
  • Safbrew T-58 (looks like it could be interesting, but I've never heard anything about this particular strain
  • Munich Wheat Beer Yeast

My main goal is to make a delicious beer (as opposed to staying true to the beer style guidelines for American wheat, for example).

Thanks
FWIW, I brewed this with US-05 and it was fantastic. Very refreshing. I've had some bad luck with S-04 even with temperature control, so if you haven't used it much, I don't know if I'd try it now.

Quick Reply