Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - American Wheat Beer - 2nd place Best of show - 2011 HBT BJCP competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #171
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just brewed this on Wednesday. Unfortunately, I forgot to make a starter prior to the brewday (use US-05 99% of the time), so I'm a little concerned about having pitched the smack pack straight into the wort. Also set the fermentation temp at 66F instead of 62F for whatever reason. I'm losing my mind I guess. Either way, it'll be beer, and I suspect it'll be a refreshing one when spring eventually shows up here in snowy Minnesota! (You know, ideally in the next few weeks...)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #172
fifthcircle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Unless you are entering a competition, why stress? The tiny subtle difference of a starter vs direct pitch will not be noticeable unless tasted side by side (IMHO). The fermentation temp might...but c'mon dude. BEER!!!!

Old 04-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #173
aschupner
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by borden View Post
Just brewed this on Wednesday. Unfortunately, I forgot to make a starter prior to the brewday (use US-05 99% of the time), so I'm a little concerned about having pitched the smack pack straight into the wort. Also set the fermentation temp at 66F instead of 62F for whatever reason. I'm losing my mind I guess. Either way, it'll be beer, and I suspect it'll be a refreshing one when spring eventually shows up here in snowy Minnesota! (You know, ideally in the next few weeks...)
Been wondering the same thing about spring here in South Dakota, just got another 5 inches of snow yesterday. They say we are supposed to get up to 70 this weekend. Snow to 70 degrees in 3 days....that's SD for ya.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #174
Grossy
Grossy Proudfoot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I brewed 10 gallons of this beer on March 30th.

The brew day was a disaster, many things went wrong, but there was only one thing that could have affected taste.

This was the second time I used a ph meter, and apparently you have to calibrate them every time. My guess is that I lowered the ph of the strike water to much. Anyway, after a 90 minute mash the pre-boil OG came in at 1.040. So I added 2 lbs of light pale malt DME to bring it back up to 1.050. (note to self: have in inventory various flavors of DME on hand).

So after 4 weeks in the primary, and one week conditioning, the results are in:

This beer rocks!!!

This beer is dangerous; it simply is too easy to drink. It’s been 90 degrees down here in Tucson, and sitting out by the pool with this beer…. Life is good. (hangovers not so much)

Fantastic recipe, a very forgiving recipe, my wife wants this on tap all summer long.

Thanks for posting this recipe Thunderworm.

"That was proper 1420, that was."
- Old Gaffer at the Bywater Inn

Old 05-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #175
PistolsAtDawn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Tapped this beer on Saturday for National Homebrew Day. We kegged it on Wednesday, hooked up the CO2 and set the regulator at 40 psi. Saturday morning, bled off the headspace, set the regulator to 6ish psi and poured. I think that it was right on with the carb level for the style, but I've since turned up the pressure to 15 psi for a while to try to target about 3 volumes of CO2 overall.

Verdict? Delicious! I would have really liked to have made this with the Kolsch yeast, but I didn't have time to procure that. Used US-05 instead, and it's still good (though I can see where the extra yeast flavor would push this from being a very good beer to a great beer).

Old 05-08-2013, 05:09 AM   #176
aschupner
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bottled half of my batch as regular wheat, and the other half I put onto 3# blueberries for a week. Just racked it off the blueberries today and cold crashing it now. Tasted it, didn't have much blueberry taste. I added an oz of blueberry extract, hopefully that will bring the blueberry taste through.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #177
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

This is a fantastic beer. Very pleased with my results. Can't wait for a hot day that really befits such a drinkable beer.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #178
Tupperwolf
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

For my second batch of this beer I had to make a couple of compromises. No vienna malt available so I just dropped it from the recipe (my new LHBS has a much finer crush so I ended up at the same OG as my first batch) and I used Amarillo flavor hops in place of Centennial. Still came out to be a very tasty beer, I just brought 5 sixers to a homebrew get together and it was a hit.

Bottles: Weedwhacker Wheat, SimCity IPA, MO/Cascade SMaSH
Primary: Sasquatch Imperial Stout, Bee Cave Kolsch
Next to brew: Some sort of enamel-melting IPA and a nut brown

Old 05-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #179
JohnK93
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Add me to the list of people brewing this as their first all-grain batch (ignoring the one BIAB I brewed). I brewed a honey kolsch using the 2565 not too long ago and was looking for a recipe to re-pitch some washed yeast, but didn't think I needed another 5 gallons of kolsch. This recipe was just what I was looking for.

I scaled it down to 3.25 gallons (I only have a 5 gallon kettle) and seem to have hit the OG right on the nose. It's cooling down now and I've got a nice healthy starter ready to pitch. I'm planning on fermenting at 62 for maybe two or three weeks before bottling. I don't have super high hopes for my BIAB (a black IPA...I think it'll be alright and drinkable, not awesome), but I'm really excited for this one.

John

edit: fermented around 62 but forgot to affix the temp probe next to the bucket! d'oh!

JK Brewing
Primary: Hefe
Bottled: OK-toberfest, Kolsch (honey, strawberry, raspberry), dry stout, IPA

Old 06-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #180
jdraker62
Recipes 

I have to say I brewed this beer and added different citric hops at the end. Loved this beer. Could not get enough of it. I only had it a couple of days in the keg when catastrophy struck. I went down for a beer and found my kegs floating in 4 gallons of yellow liquid. I was very sad. brewing this again on Saturday. Thank you for the recipe.

Quick Reply