Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - American Wheat Beer - 2nd place Best of show - 2011 HBT BJCP competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #141
primozz
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Made this, my 3rd AG batch, last night with White Labs 029.

Thanks for taking the time and posting your recipe!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #142
kodyind
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default how much warer to mash and sparge

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworm View Post
krenshaw, will this be your first all-grain batch?

Yes, the mash is 152°F for 60 minutes. The mash out is optional, but it will help the wort to run off faster, especially with the high % of wheat used. If you can heat your mash-tun directly then you can heat it while stirring to get up to 165-168°F, then let it rest 10 minutes before sparging. Then you would sparge with the 165°F water. If you can't apply direct heat to your mash tun (e.g. if you mash in a cooler), then you will probably be fine just skipping the mash out, and sparging with 165°F water.
Can you tell me how much water to mash and also to sparge, i want to do this recipe, sounds great. I am new to all grain

thanks
Jim

Old 02-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #143
primozz
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyind View Post
Can you tell me how much water to mash and also to sparge
I've always seen 1.25 Quarts/Lb of grain recommended as good starting point when calculating mash water amounts.

Sparge amounts change from brewer to brewer because that depends on your equipment and process; Grain absorbtion, MLT dead space, BK dead space/loss to trub and your boil off rate will figure into this calculation.

For me, calculating dead space on my new equipment, brewing software and having an ATC refractometer to easily check my numbers throughout the brewing process has made nailing down all these variables quick and easy.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #144
randmc
Recipes 

Did you put all of the grain in for the full mash? Sorry if this question was already answered but this has become a very long thread and I'm browsing on my phone. I plan on making it tomorrow :-)

Old 02-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #145
thunderworm
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Yes, all of the grain wash mashed together in a full mash. I hope it turns out good for you!

Old 02-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #146
randmc
Recipes 

First all grain recipe under my belt, thanks for the recipe I hope it turns out well. I made this a 10gal batch and had a few minor issues. My OG was 1.040, I think k that was a combination of a low sparge temp and the fact that my burner is undersized for a big batch in the middle of February. I checked the first runnings with iodine and it stayed brown, so I guess the mash did it's job. I pitched into two different car boys, one with a Munich wheat yeast, and one with a saison yeast I washed from my last batch. I'll let you know how they turn out.

forumrunner_20130225_084622.jpg

The Munich took off a lot faster, but both were going gang busters within 24 hours.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #147
randmc
Recipes 

Update : the Munich shows no signs of fermentation today and the Saison is still chugging along. I hope everything is going well in there. Will check gravity tonight.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #148
Tupperwolf
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Just placed an order from the LHBS for this recipe. Hopefully it'll be delivered Thursday and I can make the starter that same day then brew on Saturday. Really looking forward to brewing this and drinking it as it gets hotter come spring!

Old 03-07-2013, 03:08 AM   #149
BamaProud
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 84

I think this will be my first AG batch.

I plan on doing it via the Brew In A Bag method. Can the the experts suggest any pointers in doing it this way. Should I do anything different with the recipe, or does anyone think of any special obstacles I might encounter. Thanks

Ferm3 -Apfelwein, Ferm4 -Skeeter Pee, Ferm5 -Jawbreaker Pale Ale

Old 03-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #150
randmc
Recipes 

This is a pretty big grain bill for biab. I are you going to scale the recipe? How big is your pot?

Here are the tips I'll give you for your first biab. Have some iodine on hand to check that you've converted the starches. Have some dme in case you miss your OG.

Quick Reply