Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - American Wheat Beer - 2nd place Best of show - 2011 HBT BJCP competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #111
thunderworm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

I'm glad so many people are enjoying this recipe, and also to see a few of you guys trying this one as your first all-grain batch! A friend of mine just recently brewed this recipe twice (a week apart) and pitched the Wyeast Kolsch yeast in one batch and the White Labs Kolsch yeast in the other. He hit the numbers pretty much right on for both batches, so should be interesting to do a tasting soon to see how they compare side by side. After that I'll try to remember to post a summary here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #112
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 206 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Brewed this yesterday based on 80% efficiency and got 89% out of nowhere. OG came in at 1.058. I'm looking forward to the finished product.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:14 AM   #113
biggben
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Making this tomorrow, couldn't get a hold of the kolsch yeast so i used wyeast German 1007 should be interesting.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #114
Lukeduke02
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghotiblue View Post
I'm planning on attempting an extract version of this this weekend. Here's what I came up with:

Extract:
2 lb Extra Light DME (60 min)
1.5 lb Extra Light DME (12 min)
2.7 lb Wheat DME (12 min)
0.25 lb Munich LME (12 min)

Hops:
0.3 oz Magnum (14.0% AA); 60 min.
0.3 oz Centennial (8.8% AA); 10 min.
0.7 oz Centennial (8.8% AA); 0 min.

I'm thinking it should turn out similar. If anyone has any suggestions let me know!

Relative Newb here, so sorry if this is a dumb question... Give the Wheat DME is only roughly 55%, should the order be switched and the Wheat DME be used first instead of the 2lb Extra Light DME?

Or substituting more Wheat DME in place of Extra Light DME?

Thanks! Just hoping to avoid an attempt at a wheat beer that turns out more of a light/pale.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #115
TonyR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Brewing this afternoon as long as the rain stops, going to use WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #116
biggben
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Brewing this afternoon as long as the rain stops, going to use WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast.

Post the results i was wondering about using a hefe yeast, would love to hear how this beer does with it.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #117
biggben
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworm View Post
I'm glad so many people are enjoying this recipe, and also to see a few of you guys trying this one as your first all-grain batch! A friend of mine just recently brewed this recipe twice (a week apart) and pitched the Wyeast Kolsch yeast in one batch and the White Labs Kolsch yeast in the other. He hit the numbers pretty much right on for both batches, so should be interesting to do a tasting soon to see how they compare side by side. After that I'll try to remember to post a summary here.
did the two batches vary at all in flavor? or are they done yet

Old 08-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #118
thunderworm
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeduke02 View Post
Relative Newb here, so sorry if this is a dumb question... Give the Wheat DME is only roughly 55%, should the order be switched and the Wheat DME be used first instead of the 2lb Extra Light DME?

Or substituting more Wheat DME in place of Extra Light DME?

Thanks! Just hoping to avoid an attempt at a wheat beer that turns out more of a light/pale.
To keep it simple, I would just use all Wheat DME in place of the Extra Light DME, since it is 55% wheat as you pointed out.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #119
thunderworm
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggben View Post
did the two batches vary at all in flavor? or are they done yet
Yes, we tried them side by side last week. They both had the Kolsch type characteristics and esters. The Wyeast 2565 tasted a bit "cleaner" than the WLP029, which had some slight fermentation characteristics that made it not as pleasant as the Wyeast 2565. Overall, there was not a huge difference.

My friend who made these doesn't have a cooled fermentation chamber, so these both fermented probably around 70°F instead of the 62°F I use in my original recipe. Both batches were still both very good.

I recently brewed a 10 gallon batch of this and split the wort to ferment half with Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast and half with the Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen yeast, both at 62°F. I just kegged these last night. From samples I tasted, the Centennial hops come out a lot more in the 2565 fermented half, along with more esters from that yeast. The 3068 fermented half doesn't have much citrusy hop aroma, but of course it does have the yeast character you'd expect from a German weizen. I'll have to see how they compare once carbonated, but I think both will be really enjoyable.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #120
kev
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hi all, has anyone brewed a wheat beer using 100% wheat in the mash? If so could you clue me in on any problems you may have experienced? I have been playing around with the thought awhile and I guess I have cold feet. My usual wheat beer I use 60% wheat with no difficulties. Thanks in advance. Cheer, Kev

Quick Reply