Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - American Wheat Beer - 2nd place Best of show - 2011 HBT BJCP competition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 01:00 AM   #1
thunderworm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default All-Grain - American Wheat Beer - 2nd place Best of show - 2011 HBT BJCP competition

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 2565 Kölsch
Yeast Starter: 1.5 L on stir plate
Batch Size (Gallons): 6.0
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 19
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 3.9 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 9 days at 62 °F
Tasting Notes: Refreshing beer with a nice mouthfeel and a light clean fruitiness.

Here's the recipe for my American wheat beer that won 2nd place BOS and 1st place Hybrids (Category 6-7) in the HBT BJCP 2011 contest. I brewed this on March 6th, so it was about 3 weeks old for the first round judging. I was surprised that it was actually very drinkable only 11 days after brewday (but still extremely turbid). As the Kölsch yeast continued to settle out in the keg, the more subtle fruity fermentation characteristics began to come out a little more.

Grain:
5.5 lb 2-row malt (52%)
4.5 lb Wheat malt (43%)
0.5 lb Munich malt (5%)
0.5 lb rice hulls

Hops:
9 g Yakima Magnum (14.0% AA); first wort hops
8 g Centennial (8.8% AA); 10 min.
21 g Centennial (8.8% AA); 0 min.

Single infusion mash at 152 °F, 60 min. Mash out at 165 °F, 10 min. Batch sparged.

Fermented 9 days at 62 °F. Cold crashed for 1 day, then kegged and force carbed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
coryforsenate
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Interesting idea using a kolsch yeast on a hefe. What are the tasting notes relative to a standard hefe?

Hefeweizen
Hard Cider
Tripel w/wine tannins
Weizenbock

Primary
Dark Strong
Tripel

Old 04-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 832 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 1100

I just wanted to say that I think it's awesome that a straight-up, true to style American Wheat was able to take 2nd in such a big competition. All to often, BOS ends up being crazy beers from Category 23, or really amped-up imperials.

Congrats! I might brew this before the summer is out.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
thunderworm
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I made a kolsch a while back using White Labs 029 kolsch yeast and thought the yeast character I got from that would go nice in a wheat. When I compared notes on the Wyeast vs White Labs kolsch yeasts I ended up deciding to go with the Wyeast. The kolsch yeast doesn't produce any of the phenols that you would get from a hefeweizen. It does make some fruity esters, but none of the banana like a hefe, more like a bit of pear and pineapple. This fruitiness is subtle though. The wheatiness came out nice and bready. I might brew it again soon and see how the White Labs kolsch yeast does with it.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
thunderworm
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks, Airborneguy!

It's funny, a week before this contest was judged I decided not to enter this same wheat beer into a "best damn beer" category in a local contest because I thought there's no way an American wheat would have a chance to win going up against other styles.

If you brew it let me know how it turns out for you. I have a feeling I will be brewing this one a couple more times this summer...

Old 04-11-2011, 11:03 PM   #6
Acoma
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Congrats! That has to feel good. I'd love to try that beer. Is it similar to lil sumpin sumpin? Sounds similar to the Can You Brew It recipe that was posted a while back. Man I like that beer.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
k47k
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

9 days with wyeast kolsch? when i use this the krausen is usually several inches high for 3 weeks.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:47 AM   #8
thunderworm
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Ya, that was my first time with the Wyeast kolsch yeast. At 9 days I opened it up to pull a sample and there was still a whole mess of bubbly yeast on top! But a gravity check showed it was fully attenuated and it tasted great (and for the style it didn't matter if it was cloudy) so I decided to crash it and keg it and force carbonate.

I probably would have let it go longer in the primary like i do with most of my beers. But I had only decided to enter this contest the week before entries were due, so that's why I rushed it through.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:23 AM   #9
thunderworm
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I've never had Sumpin Sumpin. I had a look at that recipe, it looks fantastic! But it's quite a bit stronger and with all those dry hops I doubt it would be to similar to this one.

We don't many chances to try Lagunitas here in Nebraska, but I'm headed to the NHC in San Diego this June, so I will have to look for it when I'm there. Thanks for the tip!

Old 04-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #10
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4544 Times on 4452 Posts
Likes Given: 1781

Quote:
Originally Posted by k47k View Post
9 days with wyeast kolsch? when i use this the krausen is usually several inches high for 3 weeks.
That's residual krausen... belgian witbier yeast will do this too. You slosh it just a little and it all drops.

Quick Reply