Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - American Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #21
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjonsharp View Post
the hint of coriander was very subtle, definitely not as noticeable as a witbier, maybe coming from the tettnang hops?
Finally got around to the American Wheat yesterday. The biggest difference from your recipe is that I used all Amarillo hops. I'm not always a big fan of coriander, so I hope you're right about where that flavor came from. Another difference is that I used a slurry of Pacman, but that shouldn't be too much of a change from the S-05.

Guidelines say these can be "brilliant to hazy." You went for the latter, but I'm thinking about going with a secondary and cold crash to see if it can be cleared up. Any thoughts on that? Or do you think benifits from some yeast left in suspension?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 01:42 AM   #22
iamjonsharp

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
Finally got around to the American Wheat yesterday. The biggest difference from your recipe is that I used all Amarillo hops. I'm not always a big fan of coriander, so I hope you're right about where that flavor came from. Another difference is that I used a slurry of Pacman, but that shouldn't be too much of a change from the S-05.

Guidelines say these can be "brilliant to hazy." You went for the latter, but I'm thinking about going with a secondary and cold crash to see if it can be cleared up. Any thoughts on that? Or do you think benifits from some yeast left in suspension?
Sounds like a tasty brew. Cold crashing should definitely clear it up a bit. As far as taste, I don't think there will be too much of a difference between cold crash vs. leaving some yeast in suspension (not cold crashing).

Old 04-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #23
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this recipe last sunday for my second AG batch and I hit 1.042 for my OG which i was pretty excited about. The krauzen came up over night and rocked for a couple days. Now it looks like it is settling down. I can't wait to try it!

Old 05-07-2009, 01:11 AM   #24
Skrimpy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm going to try this recipe. So if I understand correctly, cold crashing is just like lagering but you are using an ale yeast so there is little, if any, fermentation going on? ...and the purpose is if the beer is left to condition at the cold temp the proteins that make the beer hazy, or at least some of them will settle out?

Old 05-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #25
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
So if I understand correctly, cold crashing is just like lagering but you are using an ale yeast so there is little, if any, fermentation going on? ...and the purpose is if the beer is left to condition at the cold temp the proteins that make the beer hazy, or at least some of them will settle out?
You got it. In a Hefe-Weizen you want some yeast left in suspension (hence the hefe part.) With American Wheat clarity is not necessary, but in my opinion can distinguish it's appearance from the German variety.

Not a great picture, but I bottled last night and here's the hydro sample. 15 days primary, 14 days secondary, 36 hours cold crash. Cleared up pretty well. Went from 1.052 to 1.011 with the PacMan yeast.
amwheat.jpg  

Old 05-08-2009, 11:22 PM   #26
Skrimpy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

That is sweet! I can't wait to try my first wheat beer. I have a fermenter full of oxyclean, one full of the SS Minnow, and a keg full of SS Minnow. I owe a batch of Kolsch to the very nice lady that sold me my keggles (crap she wants bottles!) at a decent price then I'm going to do the wheat! 10 gallons of Minnow first...well, I guess if I keg the Minnow i could do the wheat and condition it a long time in the cold cellar...

Old 06-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #27
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well this has been on tap for a few weeks now and I need to get another one of these in a primary!

It was in the primary for 2 weeks and then went into a keg for a couple weeks. When it first went on tap I was a little disapointed because it seemed to lack flavor but I figure it would be a good base beer for fruit. Then a week later... holly cow did this thing change on me.

The spiceyness came through with the slight tartness... it's excellent. My girlfriend says that this is her favorite beer I have made to date.... 20-30 batches down the road haha.

This picture was taken friday when i got home from work... Look at that head!!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #28
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I brewed this again on Sunday and some how wrote my recipe wrong when I was going to the LHBS. I ended up getting .5lbs of flaked wheat instead of the full pound of flaked wheat.

I am thinking I will just not have as good of head retention but what else might I expect to be different in this brew? How much flavor does the flaked wheat add? or is it all mouth feel and head retention?

My plan is to throw this on top of 5 or 6 lbs of strawberries per SWMBO's request.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #29
iamjonsharp

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MgMt_Home_Brew View Post
I am thinking I will just not have as good of head retention but what else might I expect to be different in this brew? How much flavor does the flaked wheat add? or is it all mouth feel and head retention?
Not sure about flavor or head retention differences, I guess you'll find out soon enough! If I had to hazard a guess, I wouldn't think a half pound less of flaked wheat would make too much a difference with this brew.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #30
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah thats what the LHBS said too. Time will tell! Although I am going to rack this onto strawberries so I wont be able to compare them same beer for taste differences.

I am not too worried about it so I will let you guys know how it all turns out.

Quick Reply