Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - American Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #11
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
Wyeast German Ale (1007) yeast is pretty neutral and works well in wheat beers too.
Any thought on Wyeast 3333 German Wheat? Would it produce a wheat beer closer to American / Widmer character if used with the OP’s grain bill? Lower temperatures help? (I have a slurry of this that I’d like to use, but not end up with the usual Hefeweizen.)

Wyeast’s description does not mention the banana/clove fruit esters that 3068 produces:
Quote:
YEAST STRAIN: 3333 | German Wheat™
Subtle flavor profile for wheat yeast with unique sharp tart crispness, fruity, sherry-like palate.

Billy-Klubb

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
Any thought on Wyeast 3333 German Wheat? Would it produce a wheat beer closer to American / Widmer character if used with the OP’s grain bill? Lower temperatures help? (I have a slurry of this that I’d like to use, but not end up with the usual Hefeweizen.)

Wyeast’s description does not mention the banana/clove fruit esters that 3068 produces:
I've never used that yeast. The description makes me think it might be on the dry side.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjonsharp View Post
Using a clean, neutral ale yeast, rather than a spicy, banana & clove German wheat beer yeast is what makes it an "American Wheat."
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
I've never used that yeast (Wyeast 3333.) The description makes me think it might be on the dry side.
I don’t think that the dryness would be a problem as long as the banana/clove isn’t present.

What changes can be expected from using an American 2-row instead of the Pilsner I’ve used for Weizenbier in the past? Will the Wheat and Munich dominate any contribution that this change in base grain will make?

Billy-Klubb

Old 02-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #14
iamjonsharp

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I don’t think that the dryness would be a problem as long as the banana/clove isn’t present.

What changes can be expected from using an American 2-row instead of the Pilsner I’ve used for Weizenbier in the past? Will the Wheat and Munich dominate any contribution that this change in base grain will make?
I'd think the changes are fairly subtle, using the 2-row and munich gives it a touch more maltiness than using pilsner malt, and will be about 0.5 SRM darker.

It gives the american wheat a bit more complexity, which is good since you aren't getting any of the complex banana-clove flavors from a typical weissbier.

I also like subbing pale ale malt in place of pilsner malt in general for most brews so I don't have to boil for 90 min because of DMS. I'll only use pilsner malt as a base malt if I feel like using it is necessary.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:53 PM   #15
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Well, you sold me. Just changed the German Wheat I’d planned on brewing this weekend to an American Wheat. One last question. In your description below the recipe you said, “Hints of coriander”, but there’s no coriander in the ingredients. Where is this coming from and how noticeable is it? I over did the coriander in a Wit a while ago and now don’t have the appreciation for the taste that I once did.

The final decision will be if I should go with 05 or use the Wyeast 3333 slurry.

Billy-Klubb

Old 02-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #16
iamjonsharp

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Well, you sold me. Just changed the German Wheat I’d planned on brewing this weekend to an American Wheat. One last question. In your description below the recipe you said, “Hints of coriander”, but there’s no coriander in the ingredients. Where is this coming from and how noticeable is it? I over did the coriander in a Wit a while ago and now don’t have the appreciation for the taste that I once did.

The final decision will be if I should go with 05 or use the Wyeast 3333 slurry.
the hint of coriander was very subtle, definitely not as noticeable as a witbier, maybe coming from the tettnang hops?

Old 02-28-2009, 03:37 AM   #17
jbeauchamp
Recipes 

I have put this on my list to brew. According to my schedule, I will be tapping the keg just about the time summer roles around. Thanks for the recipe.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:50 PM   #18
UnaBonger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:

Which yeast did you end up going with?

Old 03-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #19
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaBonger View Post
Which yeast did you end up going with?
Didn't brew until last night. To keep from adding another recipe to this thread, here's a link.

Billy-Klubb

Old 03-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #20
Cougfan
Recipes 

I have been working on a recipe very similar to this but using cascade hops. Also, I have been using the White labs American Hefe yeast (320). So far, I really like it. I am trying to get it dialed in before summer.

I have not thought about using Munich, but I like the idea. I may have to give it a shot.

Quick Reply