American Wheat Beer American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
1 Packet US-05
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
.5 Packet WB-06
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
5.4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
This is the most interesting beer I have tasted. It has a tropical fruit aroma.
Grain
  • 4 lbs. White Wheat Malt
  • 3.5 lbs. Brewer's 2-Row
  • .5 lbs. Munich 10L
  • .5 lbs. Caramel 40L
Single infusion mash. Mashed at 152 degrees for 60 minutes. Mashed out at 168 for 10 minutes. Fly sparged.

Boiled for 75 minutes
  • 1 oz. Saaz for 60 minutes
  • .25 oz Saaz for 15 minutes
  • .25 oz Saaz for 5 minutes

Pitched 1 packet of US-05 and half packet of WB-06 (rehydrated). Fermented for 21 days. First 18 days in mid-60s. Cold crashed the final 3 days.

Dry hopped with 1 oz of Centennial Hops for 7 days.

I brewed this beer with a friend who loves craft beer and is considering getting into brewing. His favorite beer is Oberon, so I looked for info about clones for that beer and cobbled this together. I have never had Oberon, so I can't say whether it is close. But the beer is good. The most surprising part of the brew is the pronounced fruit aroma that I would characterize as tropical fruit (and definitely more than just citrus). I'm having my friend over this weekend for his first tasting, and hope he enjoys it.

The most surprising part of the brew is the pronounced fruit aroma that I would characterize as tropical fruit (and definitely more than just citrus).
Saaz = spicy, clean
US-05 = crisp, clean
WB-06 = clove or banana (temp?)

Interesting. Have to wonder where the tropical fruit is coming from?

AnOldUR said:
Saaz = spicy, clean
US-05 = crisp, clean
WB-06 = clove or banana (temp?)

Interesting. Have to wonder where the tropical fruit is coming from?

The thinking on combining yeast was to give some of the banana/clove flavor without having it overpower. My guess on the tropical fruit is that I'm picking up a combination of citrus from the dry hop and the banana from yeast with a bit of spice mixed in. I will report back after others taste to give their feedback.

Back