Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - 1st Place HBT Comp Category 15A

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 01:21 AM   #21
Joe Dragon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg727 View Post
I just made a very similar recipe, using some goldings at 10 and also fermenting at about 62F. Best tasting beer I've ever made. I'm going to split my next recipe into two, and can add the following: (1) orange peel (2) honey malt (3) pale chocolate and/or (4) smoked malt. Any votes or suggestions?
1 pound of honey malt if you are going to leave the yeast as-is.

If you want a great summer beer change the yeast to US-05 and add the orange peel at flame-out.

Smoked malt takes over every beer it's in so when you go that way be prepared to make a true smoked beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #22
primozz
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

How many volumes of CO2 have you guys been shooting for on this one? I'll be kegging a batch tonight or tomorrow and I see German Wheat listed at 3.3-4.5 volumes but thought I'd double check.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #23
bink00
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

I brewed this up this past sunday. I had the worst brew day ever. For some reason my mash temp was off and was around 165 for the first 10 minutes until I got it down to 154. Then I ripped my bag (biab) on the rtd probe. I ended up putting a spare piece of sheer voile in a bucket and draining it all into that and then rinsing all the grain from my ekeggle.

I wanted to see what the OG was today and its 1.022 3 days after pitching (fermenting around 62 degrees). Hope it doesnt finish too high with my high mash temps. Smells really good though and the hydro sample definitly had that hefe clove taste to it.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:59 AM   #24
Joe Dragon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bink00 View Post
I brewed this up this past sunday. I had the worst brew day ever. For some reason my mash temp was off and was around 165 for the first 10 minutes until I got it down to 154. Then I ripped my bag (biab) on the rtd probe. I ended up putting a spare piece of sheer voile in a bucket and draining it all into that and then rinsing all the grain from my ekeggle.

I wanted to see what the OG was today and its 1.022 3 days after pitching (fermenting around 62 degrees). Hope it doesnt finish too high with my high mash temps. Smells really good though and the hydro sample definitly had that hefe clove taste to it.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.
No worries Bink. That tiny "pre-mash-out" won't hurt a thing. Very little conversion will be accomplished at that temperature for that short of a time. Give it time and it'll finish.

Please follow this up with further posts and pictures if possible.

You are very welcome for the recipe. It's truly my pleasure.

BTW- those nightmare brew days frequently produce some amazing beers. Don't be surprised if it's a winner winner chicken dinner.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #25
bink00
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

I just took another gravity reading at 2.5 weeks in the fermentor. Its at 1.012 which is fine by me. Its gonna sit in the primary anyways for another couple of weeks until I float a keg for it so im not worried about it. Gravity sample is good and has a great clover character but not overpowering. Should be awesome carbed up!

Thanks again!

Old 04-09-2013, 04:40 AM   #26
meshbackhats
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Brewed this last night. I was a little low of my efficeincy but the hydrometer sample tasted great. Looking forward to this one.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #27
pulseyou
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How does this beer finish so low? Beersmith is giving me estimated FG levels of 1.017. With a high mash like this. What is everyone finishing at?

Old 04-20-2013, 02:33 AM   #28
Joe Dragon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulseyou View Post
How does this beer finish so low? Beersmith is giving me estimated FG levels of 1.017. With a high mash like this. What is everyone finishing at?
US-06 can attenuate up to 86%. 14% residual sugar from the OG of 1.055 leaves an FG of 1.0077.

None of the numbers appear out of line to me. But I could be wrong.

http://www.fermentis.com/brewing/homebrewing/product-range/

Quick Reply