Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - What the WIT - White IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2014, 12:12 AM   #31
CraigKing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Awesome! Thanks for the recipe conversion! I'm looking forward to brewing this White IPA.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #32
CraigKing
Recipes 

I re-wrote this recipe to make it a mini-mash/extract recipe so it was complete and all in one post:

5 lbs Wheat DME
or
6 lbs Wheat LME
1.5 lbs Pilsner Malt
1.5 lbs Flaked Wheat

1.25oz Centennial 60min
1oz Amarillo 30min
.75oz Centennial 10min
.5 Amarillo 10min

1oz Coriander 5min
2 Whole Orange peels

2oz Amarillo Dry Hop 14days

Yeast: 1056

I'm hoping to pick up the ingredients needed this week and brew this next weekend! Just in time for late spring/early summer!

Old 04-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #33
gbx
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Add 6oz of midnight wheat of carafa special and make it a Black White IPA (aka a Cascadian Dunkel Weizen if you live on the west coast)

Old 05-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #34
CraigKing
Recipes 

I bought all of my ingredients this week to brew this White IPA! I had to change a couple things based on availability and packaged amounts.

1. For the 5 lbs of DME, I had to go with 6 lbs of Bavarian Wheat. Should I try to still only use 5lbs, or can I use all 6lbs?

2. For the 1.5 lbs of flaked wheat, I had to get 2lbs. Can I used 2lbs, or should I try to cut it back to 1.5lbs?

3. For the yeast, my local shop did not have the Wyeast1056. They recommended Safale US-05. Would that still work?

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #35
gestalt162
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigKing View Post
I bought all of my ingredients this week to brew this White IPA! I had to change a couple things based on availability and packaged amounts.

1. For the 5 lbs of DME, I had to go with 6 lbs of Bavarian Wheat. Should I try to still only use 5lbs, or can I use all 6lbs?

2. For the 1.5 lbs of flaked wheat, I had to get 2lbs. Can I used 2lbs, or should I try to cut it back to 1.5lbs?

3. For the yeast, my local shop did not have the Wyeast1056. They recommended Safale US-05. Would that still work?

Thanks!
1. You can go 2 ways with this. Option A is to use only 5 lbs of DME, and save the rest for another beer or for yeast starters. Option B is to use all 6 lbs, which will make the beer a bit bigger. If you go with option B, you'll have to up your hopping rates a little bit to account for the higher gravity. Personally, I would go with option A, as it's truer to the original recipe.

2. You can use 2 lbs of flaked wheat, but the beer will be a little higher gravity, and you'll need to add an extra 1/2 lb of pilsner malt to convert the extra wheat. You could also go with the original recipe and save the 1/2 lb of flaked wheat for another recipe.

3. US-05 is, for all practical purposes, identical to 1056. It will work well.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:25 PM   #36
CraigKing
Recipes 

Gestalt, thanks for the quick feedback.

Today was the brew day!!

I opted to go with the 5lbs of DME and 1.5lbs of flaked wheat to keep the recipe original. Everything went to plan. I added in the coriander and 2 orange peels during the final 10 minutes of the boil. The only troubling issue with this brew was that my OG was 1.030. I guess ultimately I'm not as worried about the alcohol content as much as whether or not the beer tastes good.

Do I have any options to increase the OG? Do I need to increase the OG???

The only thing I can think is maybe when I was guesstimating the 5lbs of DME out of a 6lb bag, and the 1.5lbs out of 2lbs of flaked wheat, I under-estimated.

The only other thing I can think of is, I somehow read the OG wrong?????

Old 05-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #37
gestalt162
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Gestalt, thanks for the quick feedback.

Today was the brew day!!

I opted to go with the 5lbs of DME and 1.5lbs of flaked wheat to keep the recipe original. Everything went to plan. I added in the coriander and 2 orange peels during the final 10 minutes of the boil. The only troubling issue with this brew was that my OG was 1.030. I guess ultimately I'm not as worried about the alcohol content as much as whether or not the beer tastes good.

Do I have any options to increase the OG? Do I need to increase the OG???

The only thing I can think is maybe when I was guesstimating the 5lbs of DME out of a 6lb bag, and the 1.5lbs out of 2lbs of flaked wheat, I under-estimated.

The only other thing I can think of is, I somehow read the OG wrong?????
5 lbs of DME in 5 gallons will give you an OG of 1.045, and that's aside from the minimash. So either your volume is much greater than 5 gallons, you didn't use 5 lbs of DME, or you didn't read the hydrometer correctly. 4 lbs of DME in 6 gallons will give you an OG of 1.030.

If your volume is close to 5 gallons, and you think you used roughly enough DME , then you're probably fine. If your OG is really 1.030, your beer will not turn out well, but I don't think that's the case here.

I would recommend getting a kitchen scale to weigh out extract, grain, and hops. It can double as a scale for kitchen use.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:45 AM   #38
CraigKing
Recipes 

I suppose its possible I didn't guesstimate the 5lbs well enough, and it was only 4.5lbs or so. But I also added the better part of 3lbs of flaked wheat and pilsner malt. Would those have increased the OG as well?

For the overall volume of water, I can't be certain either this time. Normally I use one of my Ale Pales, but mine are already in use. I used a 5gal Culligan water jug which does NOT have volume levels marked. Looking back at it, I should've measured my OG WHILE I was adding water, not just when I 'thought' I was at 5gals. Rookie mistake perhaps.

Gestalt, I hope you're right and I just read my hydrometer wrong. If it means anything, it's been about 28 hours since I pitched the yeast and my airlock is going crazy. There is a CO2 bubble popping out every 5-8 seconds, so there definitely is fermentation taking place. The sample I tested with my hydrometer was super cloudy - I think I mixed up the trub too much when siphoning. Would excessive trub in the sample cause false gravity readings?

Old 05-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #39
gestalt162
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I suppose its possible I didn't guesstimate the 5lbs well enough, and it was only 4.5lbs or so. But I also added the better part of 3lbs of flaked wheat and pilsner malt. Would those have increased the OG as well?

For the overall volume of water, I can't be certain either this time. Normally I use one of my Ale Pales, but mine are already in use. I used a 5gal Culligan water jug which does NOT have volume levels marked. Looking back at it, I should've measured my OG WHILE I was adding water, not just when I 'thought' I was at 5gals. Rookie mistake perhaps.

Gestalt, I hope you're right and I just read my hydrometer wrong. If it means anything, it's been about 28 hours since I pitched the yeast and my airlock is going crazy. There is a CO2 bubble popping out every 5-8 seconds, so there definitely is fermentation taking place. The sample I tested with my hydrometer was super cloudy - I think I mixed up the trub too much when siphoning. Would excessive trub in the sample cause false gravity readings?
Any fermentables you add will increase the OG. So, yes.

Usually trub does not have an impact on hydrometer readings, although you should strive for a clear sample, at least so you can see the hydrometer.

At any rate, looks like you've got fermentation going, so you're on the right path. Cheers!

Old 05-06-2014, 03:00 AM   #40
CraigKing
Recipes 

48 hours after pitching the yeast and my airlock is still going crazy! Beautiful scent of hops and orange coming from the vent in the airlock! I cannot wait for this White IPA to be done!!

Quick Reply