Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Partial - Ugly Fish (Two Hearted Clone)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
daveyeah
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 29
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntsandbeers View Post
we are waiting? lol
Bottled last wednesday, going to crack open the first one maybe two wednesdays from now. For once I'm trying to be patient with the whole conditioning process so I can avoid that disappointing green beer experience.

I bought a bell's variety case a couple of months ago that contained Two Hearted, and I saved one specifically so I can do an authentic taste comparison.

Looking forward to it : D
__________________

Bottled: Stout, American Brown Ale
Primary: Punkin' Ale, Heavenly Scourge Black IPA
Brewing Soon: Amber Ale Brewer's Best Kit, Apollo IPA

daveyeah is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #12
BuddyBrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: asheville
Posts: 216
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyeah View Post
Bottled last wednesday, going to crack open the first one maybe two wednesdays from now. For once I'm trying to be patient with the whole conditioning process so I can avoid that disappointing green beer experience.

I bought a bell's variety case a couple of months ago that contained Two Hearted, and I saved one specifically so I can do an authentic taste comparison.

Looking forward to it : D
Cool man just making sure your gonna let us know how it goes. Good call waiting. ThaT is what im doing right now as well. Stick to the 1 2 3 rule. 1 week primary 2 weeks secondary 3 weeks bottles or kegged. Your beer will blow your mind.
__________________
BuddyBrews is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 02:34 AM   #13
dandw12786
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 202
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyeah View Post
Bottled last wednesday, going to crack open the first one maybe two wednesdays from now. For once I'm trying to be patient with the whole conditioning process so I can avoid that disappointing green beer experience.

I bought a bell's variety case a couple of months ago that contained Two Hearted, and I saved one specifically so I can do an authentic taste comparison.

Looking forward to it : D

Subscribed to the thread, looking forward to hearing how this turns out. I have to travel to get Two-Hearted (I live in Sioux Falls, SD, between Kansas City and Minneapolis, and have to go to one or the other to get it... tell me how much sense that makes), so would like something that tastes somewhat close since I don't make those trips quite often. I'm relying on you! haha :-)
__________________
dandw12786 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #14
daveyeah
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 29
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by dandw12786 View Post
Subscribed to the thread, looking forward to hearing how this turns out. I have to travel to get Two-Hearted (I live in Sioux Falls, SD, between Kansas City and Minneapolis, and have to go to one or the other to get it... tell me how much sense that makes), so would like something that tastes somewhat close since I don't make those trips quite often. I'm relying on you! haha :-)
You're making it very tough to keep to my resolution to not open one of these until next Wednesday. : P

I had a glass during bottling once I ran out of bottles but not beer; it was a pleasant bitterness that you expect from Two Hearted, but it didn't seem to have much of that delicious aroma. I'm not quite sure how dry hop aroma develops, but hopefully it develops a bit in the bottle.
__________________

Bottled: Stout, American Brown Ale
Primary: Punkin' Ale, Heavenly Scourge Black IPA
Brewing Soon: Amber Ale Brewer's Best Kit, Apollo IPA

daveyeah is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #15
BuddyBrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: asheville
Posts: 216
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by mstev50 View Post
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 7.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 44.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 51.28 %
2.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 20.51 %
1.75 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 17.95 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 10.26 %
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 15.6 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (20 min) Hops 9.5 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (10 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (5 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale


Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 4.75 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 5.94 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Dry hopped 10 days
Is that just steaping thAT much malt? 4.75lbs?
__________________
BuddyBrews is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,773
Liked 4381 Times on 3188 Posts
Likes Given: 854

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntsandbeers View Post
Is that just steaping thAT much malt? 4.75lbs?
You'll mash those malts.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #17
daveyeah
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 29
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


I finally broke down and opened a bottle of Ugly Fish.

The version I did was an extract and steeped grain version of the original recipe. I think 3.3 lb of Briess light golden was the LME. Everything was cut in half for a half batch; the pale malt was cut entirely. Grains steeped at 160 degrees for 30 minutes. The hops schedule was followed the same as the original, but again, cut in half.

OG was 1050, final was 1012 or so.

Here's a gallery of shots; the pictures themselves are huge and I don't want to throw off the sizing of this thread.

http://imgur.com/a/PH9lE

At first pour, I was very impressed. Great head. Retention is fantastic; at about 3/4ths empty I still have a nice layer on top. Lacing is really good too. The color, as the OP pointed out, is a bit darker than the original.

The smell is very authentic. Not much else to say about that. My favorite part of Two Hearted is the citrus/flowery aroma between sips, and this clone doesn't let me down. The taste is authentic as well, but I feel like the original has just a bit more boldness on the aftertaste

So, my final review is an A; if you served this to me in the bar and told me it was Two Hearted Ale, I'd have no reason to disbelieve you.

Considered on its own right, this is a really good beer. I've been very reluctant to show my beer creations to friends so far, but this one I'm giving as a six pack for the holidays. Two hearted ale is the beer that got me to drinking hoppy beer, and so it's really great to have a good recipe for it. I'll definitely be back for more.

I tip my hat to you, mstev50. Thanks for the recipe.

__________________

Bottled: Stout, American Brown Ale
Primary: Punkin' Ale, Heavenly Scourge Black IPA
Brewing Soon: Amber Ale Brewer's Best Kit, Apollo IPA


Last edited by daveyeah; 12-21-2010 at 12:10 AM.
daveyeah is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 02:27 AM   #18
BuddyBrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: asheville
Posts: 216
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyeah View Post
I finally broke down and opened a bottle of Ugly Fish.

The version I did was an extract and steeped grain version of the original recipe. I think 3.3 lb of Briess light golden was the LME. Everything was cut in half for a half batch; the pale malt was cut entirely. Grains steeped at 160 degrees for 30 minutes. The hops schedule was followed the same as the original, but again, cut in half.

OG was 1050, final was 1012 or so.

Here's a gallery of shots; the pictures themselves are huge and I don't want to throw off the sizing of this thread.

http://imgur.com/a/PH9lE

At first pour, I was very impressed. Great head. Retention is fantastic; at about 3/4ths empty I still have a nice layer on top. Lacing is really good too. The color, as the OP pointed out, is a bit darker than the original.

The smell is very authentic. Not much else to say about that. My favorite part of Two Hearted is the citrus/flowery aroma between sips, and this clone doesn't let me down. The taste is authentic as well, but I feel like the original has just a bit more boldness on the aftertaste

So, my final review is an A; if you served this to me in the bar and told me it was Two Hearted Ale, I'd have no reason to disbelieve you.

Considered on its own right, this is a really good beer. I've been very reluctant to show my beer creations to friends so far, but this one I'm giving as a six pack for the holidays. Two hearted ale is the beer that got me to drinking hoppy beer, and so it's really great to have a good recipe for it. I'll definitely be back for more.

I tip my hat to you, mstev50. Thanks for the recipe.
HELL yah. Thats all i needed to know bout to put the stuff together for this, it will be the first batch for the new years.
__________________
BuddyBrews is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #19
daveyeah
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 29
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntsandbeers View Post
HELL yah. Thats all i needed to know bout to put the stuff together for this, it will be the first batch for the new years.
I hope yours turns out as well as mine did. My only regret is that I wish I had done a full batch. : )
__________________

Bottled: Stout, American Brown Ale
Primary: Punkin' Ale, Heavenly Scourge Black IPA
Brewing Soon: Amber Ale Brewer's Best Kit, Apollo IPA


Last edited by daveyeah; 12-21-2010 at 02:48 PM.
daveyeah is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #20
rjwhite41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Osceola
Posts: 1,419
Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default


I hate to be a naysayer but Two Hearted has a fruitiness from the yeast that you cannot get from such a clean yeast as you used. You either have to harvest the yeast or use wyeast american ale II 1272. Two Hearted also has a slight alcohol warmth. According to Bells website the OG is 1.064 and the abv is 7.0% which would put the FG about 1.010. That's quite a bit higher than your 5% abv which would not lend any alcohol warmth whatsoever. The original recipe posted looks a lot closer. If you put enough Centennial hops in a beer it can fool you in to thinking it is a two hearted but there are other subtleties involved. In summary the original looks close minus the yeast, daveyeah made Two Hearted's little brother instead of Two Hearted. Maybe he could call it One Hearted. By the way, Two Hearted is the only beer I have ever tried to clone, but my efforts derailed into my own IIPA (Two Hearted's big brother Three Hearted).

__________________
rjwhite41 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
S05 or 04 for Two Hearted Clone eschatz Recipes/Ingredients 9 09-30-2011 03:29 AM
Dog Fish Head Clone stevenryals Extract Brewing 10 05-24-2011 09:36 PM
Two Hearted Clone w/ Orange? chase Recipes/Ingredients 12 01-04-2008 07:01 PM
AG Two Hearted Clone? FlyingHorse Recipes/Ingredients 1 04-06-2007 09:06 PM
Anyone have a clone of Bells Two Hearted Ale? cbotrice Recipes/Ingredients 3 08-03-2005 07:21 AM