American Pale Ale Trans-Atlantic IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1098 British Ale
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
8 srm
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 week
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks
Grains:
11 lb 2-row
1 lb Toasted 2-row
8 oz Munich
8 oz Crystal 20L
8 Oz Flaked wheat

Hops:
1 oz Centennial 8.5%AA 60 min
.33 Oz Columbus 12%AA 60 min
.5 oz Cascade 6.9%AA 15 min
.5 oz Columbus 12%AA 15 min
1 oz Cascade 6.9%AA 1 min
.5 oz Cascade 6.9%AA dry hop

Mashed 60 min at 153

This was my attempt to marry what I like about classic British IPAs with the big, complex hopping strategy of American IPAs. I love American IPAs but they tend to be pretty big beers and they are sometimes a little one-dimensional hops delivery vehicles.

This is very good. I wish it had finished a point or two hger in FG--it was very cold when I brewed this and I think I lost more heat than usual in the mashtun.

yeah, it was plain-old American two-row. I'm pretty budget-conscious, so on hoppy beers especially I try to keep the grain costs to minimum, since you're mostly going to be tasting the hops anyway.

Update: I bottled this about 2 months ago, and it is right up there with the best beers I've made. Early on, it was all about the hops flavor and aroma, of course--I'm starting to taste some of the yeast character and the grainbill a little more now.

Back