Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Tits-Up Imperial IPA (3-Time Medalist - 2 Golds, 1 Silver)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #291
kenmcchord
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by mando_dando View Post
I brewed this yesterday and there was really no clear cut instructions. I ended up with 4 gallons after the boil and added 2.5 gallons of water before dropping it in the primary. Can someone post step by step instructions for this recipe? This was my 3rd brew and I hope I got it right,
Sounds like you're not clear on your mash volumes. Do you know what your OG was before and after you added the 2.5 gals of water? It will probably be helpful to know your setup before anyone tries to help you get this right.

Personally I am still a bit of a newbie, but I'm getting my system down more and more after every brew. Whatever your issues are I'm sure we can figure this out. Give us a bit more info on your system (mash tun, or if you're using extracts, boil kettle, where you got your water volume numbers from, etc).

Good luck.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #292
mando_dando
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmcchord View Post
Sounds like you're not clear on your mash volumes. Do you know what your OG was before and after you added the 2.5 gals of water? It will probably be helpful to know your setup before anyone tries to help you get this right.

Personally I am still a bit of a newbie, but I'm getting my system down more and more after every brew. Whatever your issues are I'm sure we can figure this out. Give us a bit more info on your system (mash tun, or if you're using extracts, boil kettle, where you got your water volume numbers from, etc).

Good luck.
I couldnt measure my OG because I didnt have the tools at the time. I think a step by step instruction for this recipe would do the everyone wonders.

I didnt have a mash tun, didnt run extracts. I steeped the ingredients and added the hops by time as shown in the original recipe, I ended up with a gravity of about 1.010 I believe, my ABV is around 4%. I did taste it yesterday and I was more than thrilled with the outcome. Its the best beer I have ever tasted and its not even carbonated.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #293
sgraham602
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

gonna brew this up next to try to deplete some of my hops i have in storage. Had to substitute a few hops. I used beer smith to make sure all the ibus stayed the same. Do these look like ok subs?

original Substitute
Columbus (FWH) ----- Centennial
Nugget (45min) ----- Warrior
Crystal (10min) ------ Willamette
Summit (dry hop) ------ Warrior

Kegged

Fermenting
-Roto-Rooter DIPA
-Secret Agent Roto-Rooter DIPA
-Nelson Amber
-Dano Nelson Amber

On Deck
-M82 Session IPA
-Dano's Oatmeal Stout

Old 12-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #294
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgraham602 View Post
gonna brew this up next to try to deplete some of my hops i have in storage. Had to substitute a few hops. I used beer smith to make sure all the ibus stayed the same. Do these look like ok subs?

original Substitute
Columbus (FWH) ----- Centennial
Nugget (45min) ----- Warrior
Crystal (10min) ------ Willamette
Summit (dry hop) ------ Warrior
They look good to me.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #295
XPLSV
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I've had my eye on this recipe for a long time...finally got around to brewing it this past week. Added some Belgian Aromatic malt to add a little more color and bumped up the Honey malt by 1/2 lb (mistake on my part). Also added a bit more corn sugar to accommodate my system efficiency. I also used the Gleneagles variant of the Maris Otter as it happens to be a personal favorite. Hit my adjusted target of 1.094 right on the button. Also ran it through 2 oz of Amarillo leaf hops with my Hop Rocket. Fermenting nicely at present...really looking forward to this one.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:27 AM   #296
XPLSV
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Moved into secondary and added dry hops. Very nice flavor...had some decent hop flavors prior to dry hopping...hope to bring it up a notch. Looked at my hop leftovers after a busy month of brewing and I think I have enough leftovers for a second round of dry hopping next week

Old 01-13-2014, 04:10 PM   #297
AVLbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts

Picked up the ingredients to brew this on next Saturday. I'll follow the recipe exactly for the first go. I'll end up kegging this too. I'm excited, after a year of brewing this will be my first "big beer" and my first AG IPA. Done a few other extract IPAs and about half a dozen AG BIAB.

cheers!

Old 01-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #298
XPLSV
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I kegged my batch this morning. It has been tasting pretty good all along the way. I was really impressed with the hop flavor profile...this brew likely has the most hop flavor I have ever encountered. I expected more hop aromas to match, although they seemed a bit underwhelming in comparison to the flavor profile. Could be a combination of the cold crash temperature and lack of carbonation at this point. Just about there now

Old 01-24-2014, 12:18 AM   #299
letsbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I know its been a while but what happen if i add the late hop addition with the hops for dry hopping? do you think i can get more flavor and aroma by avoiding the primary fermentation? (somebody says that the CO2 from fermentation scrub the hop aroma)

Old 01-30-2014, 10:28 AM   #300
XPLSV
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default Excellent Results!!!

Really, truly, enjoying this brew. Has easily jumped into one of my all time favorite spots. Thanks so much for sharing, BierMuncher! Trying to get an updated photo from SWMBO with hops in place of the strawberries so I can have a label worthy of the brew

Last edited by TxBrew; 01-30-2014 at 03:49 PM.

Quick Reply