Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Tits-Up Imperial IPA (3-Time Medalist - 2 Golds, 1 Silver)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #281
DunstonChecksIn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

My second batch of this beer is currently fermenting away in my closet. The first batch was true to spirit, but I had to make a few bittering hop changes due to availability. We drank that beer as fast as humanly possible, it was so good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #282
kenmcchord
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Howdy,
This is my second all grain brew, brewed it up yesterday. Missed my OG numbers by a bit, but I figured out what I was doing wrong (never set up my equipment correctly in beersmith, so I used too much water). I did my very first starter too, and I also bought an O2 tank and wand with a stone at the end.

So as expected I am bubbling away quite nicely, so much so that I had to install a blow off tube into a bucket of water as the S airlock was full of crud. It smells exquisite, and although my OG was only 1.072 I'm figuring this will be a great brew to be learning on.

So it's in my freezer with a johnson temp controller, fermenting away at 68º. In a month I'll transfer to a carboy and dry hop, by then I should have purchased a keg and be ready to learn how to keg and bottle from a keg.

Thanks BierMuncher, I may not have as much luck as you with this recipe on my first attempt but from the smell of it I'll have a tasty mistake!

Old 09-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #283
kenmcchord
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

A few shots from yesterday. I so don't have my system down yet, but I'm getting there!

img_1014.jpg   img_1022.jpg   img_1027.jpg  

Last edited by kenmcchord; 09-02-2013 at 06:25 PM. Reason: attaching pictures
BierMuncher Likes This 
Old 09-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #284
KarlHungus76
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just took a sample of this after 5 days of dry hopping. This stuff is going be incredibly dangerous. I can't wait.
First time using honey malt, you can really taste it in this beer. Given the outrageous hop schedule I can see it would be extremely easy to overuse it..but man this is good. Cold crashing begins tomorrow evening, and then the hard part. Kegging, and waiting.

BierMuncher Likes This 
Old 09-10-2013, 01:37 AM   #285
andrhamm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 29

This brew was a smash hit at my wedding. By far the most popular of the three brews I made for the reception (other was the Raging Irish Red and a Limeade Wheat Shandy). Thanks for the awesome recipe! I'm glad I made an 8 gallon batch because now I have my 2.5 gallon keg all to myself mwahaha

Cheers,
andrhamm

BierMuncher Likes This 
Old 10-05-2013, 02:13 AM   #286
kenmcchord
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ok, just moved it over to my keg (this is my first time kegging too). It's been 13 days since I dry hopped, and today I just check FG along with moving it to the keg. OMG....I couldn't believe the smell, it was wonderful! It's weighing in at 8.25% abv (OG 1.072, FG 1.010) and it looks really pretty light and clear. Nice orangey look to it, amber but pretty clear. And the taste... WOW! It tastes so fresh with a nice little warmth to the alcohol, and that's uncarbonated at room temperature.

So I'm following BierMuncher's recommended carbonation routine which is, if I've got this right, leave it in the keg at room temp uncarbonated for 2 weeks to age. Then pop it in the kegorator and pressurize at 30 for 24 hours. Clear the top pressure with the relief valve and set at 10 psi, serve. Does that sound about right? I did crack the co2 and bled out the air, just to get the oxygen out of the head space.

Let me know if this all sounds right. I am a patient man, but I have to say I can't wait to pull a pint for real!

Last edited by kenmcchord; 10-05-2013 at 02:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 10-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #287
Bamsdealer
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmcchord View Post
Ok, just moved it over to my keg (this is my first time kegging too). It's been 13 days since I dry hopped, and today I just check FG along with moving it to the keg. OMG....I couldn't believe the smell, it was wonderful! It's weighing in at 8.25% abv (OG 1.072, FG 1.010) and it looks really pretty light and clear. Nice orangey look to it, amber but pretty clear. And the taste... WOW! It tastes so fresh with a nice little warmth to the alcohol, and that's uncarbonated at room temperature.

So I'm following BierMuncher's recommended carbonation routine which is, if I've got this right, leave it in the keg at room temp uncarbonated for 2 weeks to age. Then pop it in the kegorator and pressurize at 30 for 24 hours. Clear the top pressure with the relief valve and set at 10 psi, serve. Does that sound about right? I did crack the co2 and bled out the air, just to get the oxygen out of the head space.

Let me know if this all sounds right. I am a patient man, but I have to say I can't wait to pull a pint for real!
You did the right thing filling the head space with co2. Pushing 5 weeks since you brewed? I'd go ahead and set it to carbonate now. When properly fermented, and this was if you used a starter, fermentation chamber and oxygen; a beer like this is best served fresh. I'd set that puppy to 10 psi and you'll b e drinking it in a week or so.

Also, its time to think about another batch if you want another keg ready to drink in 6 weeks!
Old 10-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #288
kenmcchord
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks, I'm heading downstairs to move it to the cooler and put the co2 on at 10 psi. Been reading the sticky thread on forced carbonation and seems it should be ready to go with a week or so of steady 10-12 psi in the cooler.

Thanks for the advice. And yes, next brew day is Oct 28th, going to have my niece's boy friend helping me. Wish I could brew sooner but out of town later today, GABF next weekend then my son's wedding the following weekend. Ugh, I'll be ready to either brew by the 28th or hang myself! Winter Warmer is next, then a black IPA. I love this homebrewing thing.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:50 AM   #289
mando_dando
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I brewed this yesterday and there was really no clear cut instructions. I ended up with 4 gallons after the boil and added 2.5 gallons of water before dropping it in the primary. Can someone post step by step instructions for this recipe? This was my 3rd brew and I hope I got it right,

Old 11-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #290
kenmcchord
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Many thanks to BierMuncher, what a recipe!

I just wanted to give a quick update on my efforts to brew this fantastic ale. I kegged and forced carbonated for 10-12 days, then drew a glass (ok a snuck a few glasses while I was awaiting the final product). Holy **** was it good! Damn near perfect, great citrusy grapefruity flavor, along with a nice warm fuzziness I loved it, and I agree this is damn close to Pliny. And I actually was luck enough to have traveled to Denver the weekend before I tapped this brew to join in the GABF. I had multiple glasses of Pliny at Cheeky Monks in Denver throughout the weekend (that place is great too). So once I tried the Tit's Up I was amazed as to how close it seemed to be to the Pliny I had the weekend before.

One last note, my son got married the weekend after the Tits Up was ready to drink. My brother and brother in law, along with my help, practically killed that keg! I was brewing last weekend, a winter warmer, with my nephew and we kicked the keg. Bummer....

I can't wait to make this one again. Nice job Biermuncher!

Quick Reply