Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Tits-Up Imperial IPA (3-Time Medalist - 2 Golds, 1 Silver)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #251
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 589 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloose View Post
has anyone tried brewing thsi with 2 row? 18lbs of MO at my LHBS will be the death of my wallet. 2 row i have on hand from group buys, i suppose it will lose some biscuitty flavors hmmm
2-Row will work just fine. Take about 3-4 pounds of the (un-milled) 2-Row and toast it in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes....stirring the grains a couple of times.

Adds a nice subtle breadiness to make up for not using MO.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #252
sloose
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
2-Row will work just fine. Take about 3-4 pounds of the (un-milled) 2-Row and toast it in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes....stirring the grains a couple of times.

Adds a nice subtle breadiness to make up for not using MO.
what a truely excellent idea, fine sir! I did something similar recently while brewing the CYBI Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin with wheat. this is my next brew...I used to hate hoppy beers. Now they are never hoppy ENOUGH!

Bottled&Drinking: Founders All Day IPA Clone, Centennial blonde, Vienna Hefeweizen, Belgian wit, blizzard imperial IPA,
Conditioning: hard local cider
Primary: more local hard cider!
Secondary:
On Deck: English bitter, English IPA

Old 01-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #253
BlackPriest
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this 8 days ago and it is still slowly bubbling in my blow off tube… quite impressive seeing as how all my previous ones have stopped bubbling after 4-5 days in an airlock lol.

I can't wait to try this one, the first big, hoppy beer I have tried as a relative new comer to home brewing.

Thanks for the recipe.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #254
mn_rookie
Recipes 

Is there anyone our there that can help me translate this recipe to an extract brew? I'm not set up for AG or partial mash or anything like that but really really want to brew this one. Any ideas guys? Thanks....

Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #255
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_rookie View Post
Is there anyone our there that can help me translate this recipe to an extract brew? I'm not set up for AG or partial mash or anything like that but really really want to brew this one. Any ideas guys? Thanks....
For a 5 gallon batch, reduce the specialty malts by 25% and steep in 150 degree water for 30 minutes. If youre not doing a full boil keep the bittering hops the same and reduce the late addition and dry hops by 25%. 8 lbs of light dme should get you close to where you need to be in terms of gravity. Add that in around the 10 minute mark.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #256
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Also check out the tastybrew recipe calculator and adjust everything for your setup. Id provide the link but my phone is a pita. Google it.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #257
mn_rookie
Recipes 

This is what I came up with using a conversion of (grainx0.75). The OG is way high on this calc. I'm also confused about what a friend said as I showed him this . He says that there are certain ways people add the LME to their boil to avoid an extensive sweet taste when batches call for more than 9lbs. Any thoughts on this since the conversion called for 13.5lbs? And this seems like a lot of additional grains to me also. Any thoughts on how to revise this recipe for the better, please share your wisdom! Thanks for the tip on tasty brew btw. Calc is pretty cool. Although this might be a wrong conversion, which I know it is, I do like the 10 abv

forumrunner_20130214_071547.png  

Old 02-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #258
mn_rookie
Recipes 

Okay. A little mod to the recipe. Tell me what you think. Thinking about adding some jalapeño to the dry hop also. Not too much but just enough to at a tiny bite of spice on the tongue so the carb really accents the jalo to create that explosion of all the hops flavor.

Any suggestions? Or input? Much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #259
mn_rookie
Recipes 

Snap shot of tasty brew calc.

forumrunner_20130217_125215.png  

Old 02-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #260
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Just realized that I have all of the necessary grain & hops in my basement to brew this. And I'm brewing a 1.060 IPA that will make an excellent starter to generate a good jolly pitch of yeast. Crap. I think it's time to get stupidly hoppy.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher
BierMuncher Likes This 

Quick Reply